Coffee Creamer

Options
Melly045
Melly045 Posts: 65 Member
I like my coffee light so I have to use about 1/2 cup of whole milk in each cup of coffee I drink. Looking for a lower calorie alternative. I’ve tried almond milk but it’s not the same. Any suggestions for a creamy alternative with less calories than whole milk! Thanks

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using skim or 1% milk?
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Agree with skim or 1%, I also like using silk coconut milk. I don’t like the flavor of Almond milk but coconut milk gives me the creamy flavor and texture I like and a half cup is 20 calories
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I was able to switch to skim milk. Occasionally I will do oat milk, which is creamier but more calories than skim milk. Also it doesn’t taste nutty.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Try a few brands of oat milk, I've found that the alternative milk co (not sure if available outside of aus) oat milk is super creamy
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you're in US, give a go to Fairlife milk. 1% sits @ 100 cals./cup and 2% is 120(this one tastes like whole milk to me). This milk has a clean and creamy taste/mouth feel. I really like that it's also lactose free and higher in protein than regular milk.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I love Nutpods and Milkadamina Creamer. Recently I tried Nutpods Oat milk creamer and it was good! I buy the unsweetened. Nutpod Caramel is my favorite right now. I sometimes really like just good black coffee until only a little is left in the mug, then I add the creamer, reheat and its like a treat.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I use cashew milk. Naturally creamy consistency
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Fat free half and half
  • bcovely
    bcovely Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free Coffee Mate
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I also use fat free creamer. 10 calories per tablespoon.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I used to drink my coffee very light like that, but I decided to wean off of all that "cream" (whole milk) for calorie reasons. I used to require whole milk or cream plus sugar, but I slowly decreased the amounts of both over time so that my tastebuds grew accustomed to having darker coffee. My current go to is Califia farms almondmilk + coconut cream creamer (as it's thicker/creamier than almond milk) with a bit of Ceylon cinnamon which helps to bring out the sweetness of the creamer. Like I said, I had to wean slowly. One Tbsp of this creamer is 15 calories, and that's all I use now, per mug. I drink 2 mugs every morning, and I've been able to take those calories that I used to drink and use them on my favorite breakfasts, because I just love breakfast foods. :)

My though as well. Wean yourself to a weaker amounts.
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »

This is actually more calories for 1/2 cup than the whole milk th OP is currently using. 1/2 cup is approx 8 tablespoons, so if she used the fat free creamer at 10 cals per tbs, it would be 80 cals.... whole milk is approx 150 cals a cup, so she is using approx 75cals worth right now.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    I used to drink my coffee very light like that, but I decided to wean off of all that "cream" (whole milk) for calorie reasons. I used to require whole milk or cream plus sugar, but I slowly decreased the amounts of both over time so that my tastebuds grew accustomed to having darker coffee. My current go to is Califia farms almondmilk + coconut cream creamer (as it's thicker/creamier than almond milk) with a bit of Ceylon cinnamon which helps to bring out the sweetness of the creamer. Like I said, I had to wean slowly. One Tbsp of this creamer is 15 calories, and that's all I use now, per mug. I drink 2 mugs every morning, and I've been able to take those calories that I used to drink and use them on my favorite breakfasts, because I just love breakfast foods. :)

My though as well. Wean yourself to a weaker amounts.

I guess that is the best thing to do with anything that is consumed and you want to improve it's health benefits somehow...Start reducing the amounts of whole milk with a substitute (3/4 whole milk and 1/4 of 1% - or whatever). Just keep tweaking it with an amount that you can live with.

Maybe you just need a better tasting coffee:) lol!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Some almond milks are different than others - I heat up the Silk basic unsweetened one for my morning coffee and use a milk frother and like it a lot. The Almond Breeze doesn't have the same richness in my opinion. Cashew milk barely froths. I get it's a bit tough to try giant cartons of things though if you end up not liking them.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »

This is actually more calories for 1/2 cup than the whole milk th OP is currently using. 1/2 cup is approx 8 tablespoons, so if she used the fat free creamer at 10 cals per tbs, it would be 80 cals.... whole milk is approx 150 cals a cup, so she is using approx 75cals worth right now.

If you put 8 tablespoons of coffee creamer in a cup of coffee it would be as dense as porridge so that would not work. But in any event, I don't think coffeemate is supposed to be dosed, spoon for spoon, instead of milk and you would normally use quite a bit less, a teaspoon or two for a mug.

I am no expert as I drink coffee black these days, but have used coffeemate in the past.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,038 Member
    Options
    I'm another that drinks skim milk . . . about 3/4C in every (big) mug of coffee.

It's not as creamy, obviously, but I've found it enjoyable if I heat the milk first (frothing it would also make it more pseudo-creamy, perhaps). It may not work for you, but does for me . . . and contributes almost 15% of my daily protein, which is worthwhile in itself to me for the calories involved.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    1/8 cup cold skim milk (17 calories) hand pumped in this baby about twenty times and then microwaved for 25 seconds. Any longer and you’ll wind up with whipped cream consistency milk all over your microwave. I tell ya, it’s like magic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016ULW6T0/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Melly045 wrote: »
    I like my coffee light so I have to use about 1/2 cup of whole milk in each cup of coffee I drink. Looking for a lower calorie alternative. I’ve tried almond milk but it’s not the same. Any suggestions for a creamy alternative with less calories than whole milk! Thanks

My go to is: Unsweetened almond milk (30 calories/cup) + splenda + 0-cal-flavor-syrup (currently pecan something)(Torani, Jordan's 'skinny syrups',.. make a variety of them).

ETA: doesn't really add 'creaminess' though. Possibly making a flavored protein shake and adding small quantities as a creamer would work for what you want (not likely to be lower calorie, but the excess of calories might be filling a macro you could use help with meeting).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    My go to is: Unsweetened almond milk (30 calories/cup) + splenda + 0-cal-flavor-syrup (currently pecan something)(Torani, Jordan's 'skinny syrups',.. make a variety of them).

(The above is also a pretty decent substitute for calorie-prohibitive amaretto). (ETA: in the situations where you want both alcohol and amaretto flavor in your coffee, then +rum to the above)