Middle age spread hints & tips needed

Options
Morning all,

So, I am 35 at the end of this month and within the last year with no change to my diet or lifestyle I have somehow managed to put on 1.5 stone, which my mother calls the middle age spread! An I’m wondering if this is actually a thing due to age, female hormones etc?

Anyway, I have started to stick to my daily calories and exercising every day with a mix of cardio and weights and the weight is coming off very slowly!

Has anyone got any hints & tips to help me shift it quicker or motivational stories?

Replies

• LockdownLoser23
    LockdownLoser23 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1.5 stone is very doable - I have a mate who shifted that walking every morning. Yeah she does about 4 or 5 mile (lunatic), but it worked. Find what works for you and what you are comfortable with and it will be easier. Some people like to have cheat days and some don't - see what works. Will send you a FR :)
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    KateB989 wrote: »
    So, I am 35 at the end of this month and within the last year with no change to my diet or lifestyle I have somehow managed to put on 1.5 stone, which my mother calls the middle age spread! An I’m wondering if this is actually a thing due to age, female hormones etc?

I am wondering if there is something genetic for some people. My maternal grandfather, my mother and I were all thin/slim until our mid-thirties and then put on a significant amount of weight. Like you, it happened to me at a time when I did not change my lifestyle or my eating habits. My sister and my father, by contrast, both quite well-padded as children, became very thin/slim in their twenties and stayed that way throughout their thirties and beyond.

For myself I was quite pleased by the added weight in my thirties as I had been a bit too thin and liked being more rounded; I am 180cm and weighed 68kg when I met my husband (when I was 36) which was a good bit up from where I had been seven or eight years before. I was less happy when I found myself moving steadily up into the overweight range after we got married. I joined mfp and lost weight a few years ago, in my late forties, when I got up to 88kg. losing steadily to my goal in the low 70s, and maintained there for several years. I put on again after bout of acid reflux medication compounded by moving into menopause, got back up to 88kg after Easter 2020, and am losing again now. The weight is definitely coming off again, but what I am noticing is that I need to be a lot more active on the same diet to lose weight now than I did five years ago. My body seems to be processing carbs differently from back then.

So a long way to say, that unlike others who posted above, I do think that genetics can have an impact on weight, but so too can other factors (hormones, medication) as well as the obvious ones of how much you eat and how much you move.

I would also say that I found it very enlightening one day being shown by a friend who is an artist what body developments she teaches art students to expect to see at different times of life. I am not trying to suggest that one cannot counter many of these by diet and exercise but some changes (to how one's hips meet one's pelvis, for instance, which broadens one's hips) are to do with how our skeleton changes over time.
  • KateB989
    KateB989 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, yes I totally agree that genetics must have a part to play! My great nan, nan and mum all have the exact same shape and have all had the same
    Weight gain and shape change at the same time of life and I seem to be going the same way! We call it the duck shape 😂 we have all been size 6-8 up until our 30s when we have grown to a 10-12 but it seems to be only the belly and bum that have grown! We are all still very slim on the legs, arms and other areas! Which is why we look a little out of proportion! Constantly feel like I look pregnant! However, we all have had c sections aswell which could also play a part. I’ve started trying my best to watch my calories and exercise more but if it’s genetics I don’t know whether to just accept the inevitable duck look and enjoy the food and alcohol 😂 x
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My mom is 82 and has to work at staying above Underweight because she is so active. She gardens, swims, walks, practices yoga, and does a lot of work around her 200-plus year old house. I don't think she'll be painting the outside of it again, but did spend a summer painting it while in her late 70s.

I love this so much <3 Most of the gerontological literature does support the "use it or lose it" adage and I'm hoping that I can maintain a decent level of function by continuing to do what I do. It's when we give up and say "I'm too old to do X any more" that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

At 35, I wouldn't call the OP middle-aged.

I'd agree that there are physical changes with menopause caused by the dramatic shift in hormones. It's been difficult to pinpoint where I am in menopause due to a hysterectomy at age 33 but I did notice that what little muscle I carried melted away in the span of about a year, with no change in activity level. I'm very much a creature of routine: I've worked the same desk job for 32 years, walked at lunch, shovelled snow/mowed lawn, walked dogs for decades. Nothing changed except the chemical stew in my body, other than gradual improvements in the quality of my diet over the years, particularly protein intake. I took up resistance training, then weight lifting, and managed to put on more muscle than I'd had before menopause.

A little over a year ago my father was hospitalized for 5.5 months and I had to look after his home as well as my own. Due to time constraints I ended up eating badly (not enough) and although my activity level had increased and I maintained my lifting routine, the muscle fell off again. It's taken me longer to regain it this time around, I'm guessing my hormones have decreased even more in those years.

I'd say that menopause is the game-changer, not age per se. And the OP is most likely about 10 years away from that stage.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @ythannah Good point. I didn't mention what you touched on because as you say, OP is not actually middle aged. But hormone imbalances can come into play for both women and men as they move thru their 40s and 50s. Those imbalances can slightly affect metabolism and fat distribution, and that handful of calories, added to a slightly lower activity level and slightly higher intake can easily cause a person to gain 10-15 lbs per year without noticing all those subtle shifts in the numbers.

Life really sneaks up on ya sometimes :flushed:
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    My body totally started changing shape at about 50- just before perimenopause started seriously- my weight crept up & it is now a serious battle to loose- not helped by sugar craving & I'm led to believe this is due to insulin having a higher % as female hormones drop.
    I'm having a total diet shake up in terms of macro balance. Hoping for a summer of health. Bought in the shopping ready today.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    These things are not universal, but many of us, as we move from teens to 20s then 30s and beyond, tend to go from more active jobs (retail, waitstaff, etc.) to more sedentary jobs (admistrative things at desks, say). We go from playing volleyball or frisbee on the weekend, and going dancing at night, to less active hobbies. If we have kids fairly young, we go from chasing toddlers around the house to driving older kids to activities and sitting while they do their thing there. At the same time, we may be more exposed to work environments with donuts and treats, and may be able to afford richer restaurant meals more often, with a social life that is more eating/talking-centric. We have more automated conveniences and hired services (for cleaning, lawn/garden care, etc.) vs. doing everything manually.
    (Snip)
    Nothing about your (young) age will prevent you from doing similarly. Focusing on what you can control - eating habits, daily life movement, exercise - is the path to success. Blaming amorphous, unchangeable things like "middle aged spread" (or "hormones" or whatever) is a waste of time and energy, frankly.

As usual, @AnnPT77 hits the nail on the head. I’m about to turn 39, and I can see how my lifestyle has changed over the last decade: not walking to and from bus, not walking around campus where I taught, not taking little kids to park almost daily and following them around, not up and down playing w kids inside and out, sitting and teaching for longer as kids get older and there are more of them to teach, more kid activities to go and sit through, not holding a kid on my back or in my arms all the time while walking and doing housework, kids can pitch in a housework so less for me.

Extra hours for husband and more disposable income = not mowing the lawn every week, groceries delivered instead of shopping w coupons at 3-4 stores, I can hire someone to clean every other week instead of doing it all myself weekly.

Easy to say my lifestyle hasn’t changed—it doesn’t change much year to year but it has over a decade. I didn’t start doing all that stuff less in one fell swoop...one year we got a lawn service once a month, then biweekly, then weekly, so I gradually reduced mowing. Same w cleaner and groceries—first I could just shop one store, then I would only get pickup/delivery every few weeks for big orders, now it’s all the time. The kid related activity decline was likewise gradual.

Same w diet—our diets are never exactly the same. This year my go to meals are different than 5 years ago bc our tastes change. Maybe you eat out weekly instead of once a month, or you drink a little more wine, or now that kids are in activities around dinner time or you work later, dinner is more convenience food or fast food just a bit more often than before.

But it’s not an inevitable slide into softness! I’m smaller and lighter at 39 than 29, by about 10lbs. And lighter than 25 by 20lbs. I do, however, need to pay attention more to what I eat (esp the random handfuls of snacks...that’s how it’s easy for calories to invisibly add up for me) and I have to intentionally exercise a bit more, even if that is making time for a walk.