Pet Peeves While Running Outside

Options
124»

Replies

• peterson_jessica
    Options
    I agree! I hate staring men in general. Running or not it disgusts me.
  • hjfischer
    Options
    1) TOURISTS!!!!!!!! They are so totally annoying to me when I run. They walk all over the sidewalk, don't pay attention to where they are walking, stop suddenly, walk 3-4 people across so I have to yell 'ON YOUR LEFT' so they will give me room.
    2) Pot and cigarette smokers. Gross!
    3) BICYCLISTS! You have your own freaking lane! Use it! Get off the sidewalk. You do not see me running in the bike lane, but if you keep riding in my lane, I will run in yours ;)

I run 30+ miles a week and these 3 always seem to irk me. Thanks for the letting loose on my rant! ;)
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Being on a college campus.. the freshman girls who feel the need to walk in rows of 3 or 4 on the sidewalk, and make me run on the grass to get around them even though they can clearly see me coming. Really, girls, if you break formation for 3 seconds, you'll still be able to be BFFs, I promise. You won't get lost if one of you has to walk behind the other two for a moment.

See now that's where I would get onery and keep right on path and plow someone over...... :)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    loose dogs and people who dont clean up after their dogs!
  • no_where1976
    no_where1976 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Cars slowing down when they see I'm trying to cross. I'm not going to jump in front of a moving vehicle, either stop or get past me faster, don't crawl past me!

I never thought about that. I'm not really a runner I've tried several times then I bought a bike (yes I ride on the street) but I always slow down for a jogger b/c if they do want to cross I will stop for them but you are right I should just keep going regular speed....just never thought about it.
  • skinney1357
    Options
    I have a problem with other joggers/walkers wearing perfume. It isn't as bad as smokers on the path but it still smells!
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    So there's this one thing that gets to me every time.

I'm on a jog up the canyon. The trail is uphill, but not very steep. I figure its only 7 miles or so up to the lake, so once I'm all warmed up and feeling good I start to really stretch out my stride a little and push it. Breathing is heavy but steady, not strained at all. There's this wonderful sensation of flying.

Then I wake up.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I just thought of another one:

5) Sprinklers set up to drench anyone passing by.

Running here in Houston weather, I appreciate any and all sprinklers I have to run through! :smile:
  • bethgarzonie
    Options
    mine is ppl who run by with their earphones on and won't stop to say 'hi' to me and my loose dogs
    j/k

LOLOLOL!!
  • bethgarzonie
    Options
    1) TOURISTS!!!!!!!! They are so totally annoying to me when I run. They walk all over the sidewalk, don't pay attention to where they are walking, stop suddenly, walk 3-4 people across so I have to yell 'ON YOUR LEFT' so they will give me room.
    2) Pot and cigarette smokers. Gross!
    3) BICYCLISTS! You have your own freaking lane! Use it! Get off the sidewalk. You do not see me running in the bike lane, but if you keep riding in my lane, I will run in yours ;)

I run 30+ miles a week and these 3 always seem to irk me. Thanks for the letting loose on my rant! ;)

Cyclists don't always have a lane. The sidewalk is much safer for me. Hey, and I haven't yet hit a runner. These darn moms that have to walk side by side on my fave trail (for bikes too!) need to learn some manners and their right from left.. just saying!
  • bethgarzonie
    Options
    1) Loose dogs. Cooper and I got charged twice today. For someone who loves dogs, but is somewhat afraid of them, that is two times too many!

2) Overgrown bushes, trees, any type of foliage. I either have to duck, go around, or get poked. It might seem petty, but at this time of year there are dozens of overgrown spots along my usual route. One of these days I might just bring along my cutters.

3) Cars parked blocking the sidewalk.

4) People who want to talk as I run by. I appreciate your friendliness, but I am breathing hard and have music playing. I can't hear you, and I definitely don't want to stop.

Those are mine. What are yours?

Yep, you hit my big ones right there except for one -- People who don't stop at stop signs and roll into the cross-walk, especially after I've made eye contact with them coming up to the intersection. And what's amazing is this always seems to happen to me at CHURCH PARKING LOTS! The less than 15 seconds it's going to take me to cross in front of your car will take less time than how long you're going to have to wait to merge into traffic.
    Bikers on the trails that do not say "On your left!" to let me know they're coming so I can scoot over before they zoom by and scare the p*ss out of me and/or take my arm off.

To go along with that, I usually shout out "Clear left" or something similar when coming up on a slow group of walkers or a slower runner. I like to let them know I'm coming. And I do say "Thank you," as I run past (I also say "Mornin'" or "evenin'" as I'm running to others or give the "guy head nod" if the person is wearing earphones, to answer one peeve, but I've not had any desire to actually stop and talk with anyone yet). However, if I have to say it three times and you still don't move? Well, you get a hearty "get the **** out of the way!" Runners can be just as rude as the bikers in this case.
    Amen!
  • runningmom1977
    Options
    People that blow snot rockets.

Angry geese. I have been chased more than once on the lake path in my old town. Hated those things!!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Mine is creepy men yelling at me on the other side of the street!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I avoid roads, but run in parks and along canal paths, so my pet peeves are:

1. cyclists that think that they have right of way on FOOT path
    2. slow walkers in packs, taking up the whole path - you can't go around them as there is a wall and a canal.
    3. other joggers that don't smile or wave when I smile and wave at them (I don't expect a chat, but acknowledging a fellow runner is nice)
    4. the wrong song coming up on my play list (too slow, not jolly, etc)
    5. my gps thinking i'm suddenly half a mile to the left and screwing up my run data
  • bloodstar
    bloodstar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    1) having thrown at me or being struck by beer cans. bottles, cigarettes by passing cars and trucks. I'm lucky I haven't gotten hurt. (and thankfully it's only happened a few times in my life)

2) nails in boards that are lying face up. owwwwww. I'm now safely current on my tetanus shots (I can laugh now, but owww)

3) owners that think it's cute that their little bloody yappy dog is trying to bite my ankles. it's one thing to have them apologize, it's a whole other kettle of fish to laugh at my expense. I love animals, but if your dog bites me, it's likely I'll kick out on self defense, and I'll sue and press charges. grrr grrr

As a driver:
    Runners who run on the side of the road *with* traffic, as opposed to running facing traffic. You're asking to get hit, particularly if you're wearing headphones. Not only will you not see cars coming, but you won't hear them either.

I'm sometimes guilty as a biker of biking on a short stretch of sidewalk, particularly when there are no bike lanes and a relatively narrow road. However that doesn't mean it's ok to tear down a sidewalk. be considerate and if someone is walking on it, it's ok to stop and let them pass, or slow way down so you don't risk yourself or them. if the route is too long and dangerous that you're stuck on a sidewalk for a long period of time, maybe you need to try a different route?
  • bloodstar
    bloodstar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    1) having thrown at me or being struck by beer cans. bottles, cigarettes by passing cars and trucks. I'm lucky I haven't gotten hurt. (and thankfully it's only happened a few times in my life)

2) nails in boards that are lying face up. owwwwww. I'm now safely current on my tetanus shots (I can laugh now, but owww)

3) owners that think it's cute that their little bloody yappy dog is trying to bite my ankles. it's one thing to have them apologize, it's a whole other kettle of fish to laugh at my expense. I love animals, but if your dog bites me, it's likely I'll kick out on self defense, and I'll sue and press charges. grrr grrr

As a driver:
    Runners who run on the side of the road *with* traffic, as opposed to running facing traffic. You're asking to get hit, particularly if you're wearing headphones. Not only will you not see cars coming, but you won't hear them either.

I'm sometimes guilty as a biker of biking on a short stretch of sidewalk, particularly when there are no bike lanes and a relatively narrow road. However that doesn't mean it's ok to tear down a sidewalk. be considerate and if someone is walking on it, it's ok to stop and let them pass, or slow way down so you don't risk yourself or them. if the route is too long and dangerous that you're stuck on a sidewalk for a long period of time, maybe you need to try a different route?
  • Charlie175
    Charlie175 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Mouth full of gnats during evening runs
    Second the GPS issue, mine clocked me at 18.9miles an hr today
  • leopardlushh
    Options
    Hmmm...i have yet to go running and have "pot" smoke lingering around but I think I'd rather have that than cigs...way worse than a weed.
  • leopardlushh
    Options
    Running through a cloud of cigarette (or worse, pot) smoke. You are polluting my air!!!!!
    Hmmm...i have yet to go running and have "pot" smoke lingering around but I think I'd rather have that than cigs...way worse than a weed.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    This morning - I had to get on a small section of someone's yard (it had to be where the right of way *would* have been if a sidewalk was there) and there was a beer can - I kicked it toward the person's trash can (who knows, maybe they'll put it in the recycling or maybe even just throw it away) and yep, beer on my foot! :sick:

So the peeve - people not drinking their entire beer before depositing it in someone's yard! :smile: