Protein and weightloss

Options
db56
db56 Posts: 31 Member
I have a really hard time getting protein each day. I am not a high meat eater other than chicken. If you stay within your cal. limit but your getting more carbs than protein does your weight loss slow down?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have probably never had a day in my life where I DIDN'T eat more carbs than protein, and I lost weight just fine :smile:

The only thing that matters for weight loss is calories. Macros can help with satiety and energy, but different macro combos help different people, and some people don't notice any satiety difference at all.
  • db56
    db56 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I guess I just worry about not enough protein
  • 10schick71
    10schick71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started working out with a new trainer today and she set my protein at 200 g. per day. That’s a little overwhelming to me but I’ll be 49 in 6 days and I’ve had doctors, weight loss experts and now my trainer all tell me if I want to keep from losing lean muscle at this point in my life I need the protein.
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    No - a calorie is a calorie. Although I find that protein foods satisfy my hunger much more than bread/pasta/potatoes. I rarely hit my daily goals but certainly try. Egg white, fish (fresh or canned), protein powders, greek yogurt/skyr, nuts, quinoa - all are great for upping the protein count.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @kim i disagree.
    OP, here's something a lot of coaches i personally know agree on
  • RockingWithLJ
    Options
    pemoksvf0qlj.png
  • james_keegan63
    james_keegan63 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    db56 wrote: »

Too much protein is also a thing. Your body strips off the nitrogen as urea, and builds fat or burns the rest. Unless you're starting a severe muscle -building exercise regimen, or looking for a ketosis thing, normal protein levels should be fine. The majority of calories should be from carbs, again, unless you're going for the ketotic effect of carbohydrate deprivation.
  • RockingWithLJ
    edited July 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I have a really hard time getting protein each day. I am not a high meat eater other than chicken. If you stay within your cal. limit but your getting more carbs than protein does your weight loss slow down?

Weeeellllll . . . I kinda but don't totally agree with what most people have said so far.

You need a certain minimum amount of protein, for best nutrition and health, and there's some evidence that that minimum is a little bit higher during weight loss.

Getting more carb grams (or calories) than protein grams/calories can be fine: The carb to protein ratio isn't an important metric. It's like assessing your car's performance by the ratio of miles driven to how many times your brakes are engaged. Both things (carb intake and protein intake) are potentially important, but their ratio isn't really meaningful to progress. If you're not hitting a sensible protein minimum (like that 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass or 0.6-0.8g per pound of goal weight kind of region), then that might be more of a problem.

Strictly speaking, you might lose weight a tiny bit faster eating more protein, because protein takes more energy to digest/metabolize (has a higher TEF, thermic efficiency of food) than some other nutrients. But in the big picture, that effect is pretty tiny, not worth much attention. The bigger deal is that getting too little protein - particularly if also exercising and in a calorie deficit - makes it more likely that you'll lose unnecessarily large amounts of lean mass alongside fat loss, which would be a Bad Plan for multiple reasons.

So, hit a reasonable protein minimum. Yes, excessive protein can be damaging, but you're not anywhere near that, so I don't know why that's even something to bring up.

You can get enough protein. Or, at least I can, and I haven't eaten chicken (or any other meat/fish) since 1974 (yes, 1974, really ;) ) . . . so I'm pretty sure it's possible for someone who eats chicken. ;) Lots of foods have protein, even some unexpected foods. Learn about them here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

If you're not getting enough protein now, eat more of foods in the spreadsheet linked to that thread - ones you enjoy eating - and less of something else that isn't helping you meet your goals, that you can mostly painlessly reduce.

As background, this link has evidence-based references for protein needs, links to a protein "calculator": https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need/
    pemoksvf0qlj.png

Welllll, kinda, once again. That's a really bad foundation, on that pyramid, IMO.

If I ate 10x (evne 12x) my goal weight in calories, I'd lose weight waaaay too fast. Those kinds of arbitrary multipliers pretend that a bricklayer's apprentice who spends 8 hours a day carrying hods of bricks, then trains for triathlons at night, is the same as a reference librarian who sits at a desk all day and knits while watching TV in the evening. Further, the protein layer of the pyramid fails to recognize that protein is used to maintain our *lean* mass.

The numbers given "per bodyweight" are fine for someone at a healthy bodyweight. But an obese weight loss beginner with 100 pounds of lean mass doesn't need materially more protein than a thin supermodel with 100 pounds of lean mass (maybe just a small bit more, because losing weight). That's why some folks in this thread have written in terms of grams per pound of *goal* weight. A significantly overweight woman on low calories (say 1300) is likely to struggle trying to get protein at 1g per pound of obese bodyweight . . . and it's not necessary. (She needs room for other nutrients, too.)

That's a very body-builder looking kind of pyramid. Nothing wrong with a body-building approach, but it can have some . . . biases.

This came from a ton of coaches who prep people for shows and are in the medical field so im wondering where your knowledge is really coming from
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I've been told to increase protein & reduce carbs ny a Doctor- this being related to my age & loss of muscle mass at menopause. I'm essentially vegetarian but do eat a little fish. It is difficult.
    Weight Watchers was suggesting more protein because it makes you feel fuller for longer & my PT has given me some "diet rules/ideas" which have more protein thsn carbs.

I don't know enough of the finer nutritional details- but calorie wise they ate identical per gram- I do know their metabolism is different &, obviously, they do have different uses in the body.

I am using favoured protein powder in my yoghurt & previous I was taking a protein shake for my break-time instead of baked "crisps"/pop-chips etc which were mainly carb. This helps me reach my proportion of macro goals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    pemoksvf0qlj.png

As others have said, but I wanted to highlight, "bodyweight" is incorrect. Should be "lean body mass." As that may be hard to calculate, we usually just say "goal weight."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

What's your goal weight and how many grams of protein do you average per day?