Exercise versus food intake

Good morning everyone, I have a question about calorie intake. My fitness pal gives me an extra 400 cal because of working out. In order for me to lose weight I am not to eat those calories correct?

Replies

• Nurseali375
    Nurseali375 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks so much that’s what I figured but wasn’t sure 😊
  • jjlbrick
    jjlbrick Posts: 233 Member
    I think yesterday I exercised 2000 calories worth. I did eat some but not all of them.i rode 65 miles in hot muggy conditions. I was more thirsty than hungry. I look at it this way I will eat the allotted calories for being active my weight & age. The earned additional ones are there for eating ice cream occasionally. Or eating larger steak. Eating out situations .
  • sweetpsyche
    sweetpsyche Posts: 1 Member
    I tried to not eat the extra calories and MFP gave me a lecture on the dangers of not eating enough. So I forced myself to eat more and I gained two pounds! I think I’m just going to disconnect my Fitbit.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I eat some, but not all, of the extra calories back. I have MFP set to lose 1 lb a week. If by not eating all of my calories back, I can lose 1.5 lbs some weeks, why not?

That said, any extreme is unwise. If you have it set to lose 2 lbs a week, you should eat most (or all) of your calories back. The idea should be for sustainable, not lighting fast, results. Also, are you hungry? Do you want to eat the calories back? Then eat them.
  • funievi
    funievi Posts: 1 Member
    I'm on keto & I'm active with exercise. By eating keto I'm not that hungry & mostly do 2 meals a day. I'm also doing intermittent fasting so after my 2 meals I'm satisfied & don't need anymore food. Do I still need to eat my calories back somehow?
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    funievi wrote: »
    I'm on keto & I'm active with exercise. By eating keto I'm not that hungry & mostly do 2 meals a day. I'm also doing intermittent fasting so after my 2 meals I'm satisfied & don't need anymore food. Do I still need to eat my calories back somehow?

If you're not hungry and are hitting your macro goals (such as protein and fiber), you don't have to eat more just because you have had more exercise. Your body will let you know when you need more food.

So unless something is way off with your natural appetite, just eat when you are hungry. I always get much hungrier after an illness where I've lost some weight, or if I haven't felt like eating much for a day or two for other reasons or no reason in particular.

You could also check the scale every week or so to see if you are losing weight too fast, or losing weight at all when you are already at a good weight.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    I tried to not eat the extra calories and MFP gave me a lecture on the dangers of not eating enough. So I forced myself to eat more and I gained two pounds! I think I’m just going to disconnect my Fitbit.

Or just learn to ignore MFP's lectures....

I use another tracker that has a "feature" of telling me that on days when I eat Food X, my calories are higher or lower. The oh so helpful suggestions have included warning me that I eat more on days I eat Timer (a food I created as a time stamp, servings indicate time on 24 hr clock). Other suggestions are equally ridiculous. These are computerized lectures, not realistic assessments based on your real needs.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    funievi wrote: »

How accurate is your logging and how much of a calorie deficit do you typically end up with?

If you are losing weight more quickly than your stats call for, yes you should eat more.
    Losing weight too quickly comes with a whole host of drawbacks and dangers.

Unfortunately many of us are here because our hunger cues are broken. And sometimes when you change the way you eat, it takes awhile for your appetite to adjust.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    jwoolman5 wrote: »
    So unless something is way off with your natural appetite, just eat when you are hungry.

Reading your body is a foreign language.

You realize most are here trying to lose weight because there is something off, and they don't know how to read the body, but they certainly did listen to it in the past.

Until someone gets educated on that foreign language - there needs to be much more "learning" before trusting you understood what it said.

For instance - did you know that it is common after undereating by too much for too long for the body to no longer be hungry?

Same effect people get when they discover months down the road after getting some blood test because something was bad enough - they discovered they were vitamin or mineral deficient - but until that big negative came along they would never been able to tell.