Weight loss supplements and vitamins

Options
Hey y'all,

I'm just curious if anyone takes or has taken any weight loss/dietary supplements and/or vitamins. If you do or have, what kind do/did you take and did you see results?

I'm on the fence with dietary supplements so I would love some feedback and opinions on this, are they worth it? Also, I would like to know what vitamins are beneficial in weight loss.

Any info or opinions are welcomed!

Thank you! 😊

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Coffee gives me a little buzz in the morning, there’s that. If I drink coffee any later I don’t sleep well.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well, vitamins won't help you lose weight but I take vitamins anyway to make sure I keep up my energy and metabolism and maybe grow out some beautiful shiny hair. I use the VitaFusion Women's Gummies because they're tasty and easy to incorporate into my day.
  • cpow0405
    cpow0405 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone, I'm not really deficient in anything that I know of and dietary supplements are useless. I'll just stick with low calorie meals and exercising.
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I take a probiotic every day, a prenatal vitamin daily (using them up while breastfeeding and will soon switch to women’s vitamins). I usually will drink a protein “shake” most days to get my protein up for the day (I’m usually low even with the shake. I drink it warm like a hot chocolate and I look forward to it!). I’m going to start taking fish oil (for the omega-3s) on weeks when I don’t eat enough fish. I don’t do this for weight loss but for general health.

Weight loss pills don’t work. They’re usually made to make you poop or pee out water weight.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I take a lot of supplements. Not for weight loss though, for overall health.

I take a multi to fill any holes in my diet. I take vitamin D because I know I don't get out a lot. It is the most common deficiency in my country. I take Fish Oil because I don't eat fish almost at all. I take Magnesium because it helps with my anxiety and mood. It is the second most common deficiency in the US. I take Vitamin C and E because I've seen studies that it helps pale people manage the sun better. I'm trying it. C is also good for immunity. I am trying Ashwagandha for anxiety and mood. The jury is still out. I take calcium because a lot of women don't get enough. I have to take this at a different time than the magnesium. I take probiotics because I had C.diff in February and I'm working to keep my gut health in a proactive state.

I told my husband though, I'd drop the D if I got 30 minutes of sun exposure each day, I'd drop the fish oil if I ate fish at least twice a week, but I don't, etc.
  • cpow0405
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    cpow0405 wrote: »
    Thanks for your input everyone, I'm not really deficient in anything that I know of and dietary supplements are useless. I'll just stick with low calorie meals and exercising.

I assume you meant "dietary supplements for weight loss are useless"?

Otherwise, as someone who is anemic and vitamin D deficient, I'm going to push back.

Yes, this post is in regards to "dietary supplements" Thank you
  • cpow0405
    Options

I take a multi to fill any holes in my diet. I take vitamin D because I know I don't get out a lot. It is the most common deficiency in my country. I take Fish Oil because I don't eat fish almost at all. I take Magnesium because it helps with my anxiety and mood. It is the second most common deficiency in the US. I take Vitamin C and E because I've seen studies that it helps pale people manage the sun better. I'm trying it. C is also good for immunity. I am trying Ashwagandha for anxiety and mood. The jury is still out. I take calcium because a lot of women don't get enough. I have to take this at a different time than the magnesium. I take probiotics because I had C.diff in February and I'm working to keep my gut health in a proactive state.

I told my husband though, I'd drop the D if I got 30 minutes of sun exposure each day, I'd drop the fish oil if I ate fish at least twice a week, but I don't, etc.

Thank you for your response. I'm thinking about trying some of the vitamins you mentioned due to not eating alot of calories.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do protein powder in my iced coffee, because I don't always eat enough protein. I eat a lot of fruit/veg, so don't always take a multi. This reminds me that I will need to start taking my vit D again. I've tested low in vit D, but stopped taking it since being home after lockdown and getting more sunshine every day.
    I think the best "weightloss supplements" are veggies and exercise 😉
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like Quest (salted caramel and cinnamon crunch), PEScience(snickerdoodle or peanut butter cookie), and Muscle Pharm Combat cookies and cream. I just ordered Levels 100% grass fed whey protein in chocolate mocha, so we'll see if that's any good.
  • cpow0405
    Options
    I like Quest (salted caramel and cinnamon crunch), PEScience(snickerdoodle or peanut butter cookie), and Muscle Pharm Combat cookies and cream. I just ordered Levels 100% grass fed whey protein in chocolate mocha, so we'll see if that's any good.

This actually sounds really good, I will have to try it! Thanks for sharing! 😊
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I only take vitamin D because I don't go out in the sun much. And also because it's very hard to get enough vit D from food alone. Other than that I get pretty much everything else from my diet. If you are on a low calorie diet it may be harder though.

Also if you don't eat a lot of fruit and veggies, you may lack potassium. I think most people don't get enough potassium.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Thank you for your response. I'm thinking about trying some of the vitamins you mentioned due to not eating alot of calories.

How tall are you, how many pounds away from your goal weight are you, and how many calories are you eating per day?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2020
    Options

Our taste are very similar. Didn't have time to do a PEScience order.

wbbxhgnfv2i0.jpg

OP, if you struggle with protein, or just want it to be higher, than protein powder is a good choice. Caffein can help with appetite suppression in some. But, not much else helps and the legal ones that can aid fat loss are not something I would recommend for newer people as they come with side effects.

There are a few supplements worth it for lifters (creatine, L-Citrulline, Beta Alanine).

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I am going to look into the Quest - I need to up my protein but have been too hesitant to buy and try protein powders on my own (and to ask specifically would lead to several opinions and options, I am sure!)
  • cpow0405
    edited July 2020
    Options

How tall are you, how many pounds away from your goal weight are you, and how many calories are you eating per day?

I'm 5'4", 30 pounds away from goal and I'm getting between 1,000 - 1,300 cals a day and lots of water! I exercise Monday-Friday.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2020
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    harper16 wrote: »

I'm 5'4", 30 pounds away from goal and I'm getting between 1,000 - 1,300 cals a day and lots of water! I exercise Monday-Friday.

The minimum a sedentary female should be eating is 1200 net calories a day.

Yes, I'm aware. Thank you 😊

So, why are you eating less?

Given how there is little ability to actually guage calories burned during exercise, and as long as the OP isn't losing extremely fast, then its probably ok. Also take into consideration that most people typically don't account for all calories. Even professionals can undercount the amount of calories consumed. Using a generic number, without considering other factors is short-sighted.

If anything, its better to understand the OPs current logging practices before given generic advise.