Obsessed with weighing myself

Options
Ok, call me crazy, but I didn’t start my diet out knowing exactly what I weigh. I weighed myself a few week ago (Weeks prior to starting my diet) and I was 160.2. When I dieted previously I would become obsessed with weighing myself. I’d start out weighing weekly, then started weighing myself daily. Sometimes twice I day. This time around I didn’t even purchase a scale *yet* (it’s only been 5 days since starting my diet). Does anyone else obsess? Should I keep going without the scale and just go by how I feel and how my clothes fit?

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    General daily weight fluctuations are normal, so personally, I think weighing daily IS obsessive. I weigh and measure once a week. I’m tempted to weigh more obviously, but I know that won’t necessarily give me any more of an accurate picture of what my weight is really doing, so I only weigh on Saturday mornings pre breakfast. I measure on Wednesdays though, so at least I get some more info mid week.
  • renae_shea
    renae_shea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    oh i do it every day .But am going to start doing it weekly from now on..
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    Weighing yourself daily or twice a day doesn't seem like an obsession, for most people on here including myself that's normal. I like seeing the daily trends. If you are more comfortable going without a scale and relying on clothes, or other measurements there's nothing wrong with that. It's all about what works best for you.

Obsession isn't really about how often you weigh yourself. It's about your mental and emotional relationship to weighing yourself. A "normal" behavior for one person can be obsessive for someone else.

I agree with this, and I should have done a better job of explaining myself. Thank you for the insight.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing a pound a day, it's going to seem discouraging. You pick a day off the week -- it's a weekly weigh-in, not a daily weigh-in.
  • keke7133
    keke7133 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. When I say obsessive, i was. I quit my last diet bc the anxiety was bad, and I stopped losing weight. After quitting that diet, I binged on everything I missed eating. Ended up gaining 20lbs. Looking back now, I should’ve just threw the scale out and kept on trucking. For my mental state, I’m better off just going without one for a bit. After posting this, I caved and used my neighbors scale. I went from 160.2 to 159.2 in 5 days. I’m not sure why I expected to see a lower number than that, but I regret even stepping on that thing.
  • keke7133
    keke7133 Posts: 34 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Oh, I learned the hard way! Last time around I thought the thing to do was just cut all the bad out from day 1. I can’t do that this time. I still enjoy my regular coffee every night. And So far this time around I haven’t been overly tempted by anything put in front of me yet (I mean it’s only been 5 days lol) but when something i do really enjoy is there, I’m going to have some. I’m hoping this way I’ll be able to stick it out and actually make my goal weight for once (and maintain it) this time. Thanks for your response and Congrats on Hitting your year mark!

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to weigh yourself if you can use other "metrics" to assess your progress like measurements or the way your clothes fit. Weighing more than once a day doesn't really tell you much since our weights vary throughout the day naturally. Indeed, for younger women who are cycling, weight changes a good deal naturally over the course of a month due to hormonal changes. I weigh once a day to keep remind myself each morning what I'm doing but otherwise, I've taught myself to ignore the scale during the day. Lots of folks only weigh themselves once a week or once a month. It's your choice about how often you get on the scale but it is only an estimate of what you weigh at a particular day and time. Don't give it any more attention than it deserves and don't let it control your thinking.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself minimum 10 times a day. Twice is pretty average I think
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    To add I was obsessed back then
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I find it helps with motivation and keeping me on track.
    What concerns me more than weighing yourself daily is the fact that you’ve referred to a ‘diet’.
    This is a lifestyle change not a diet. It is not like you are going to get to a goal and then go back to your old ways of eating and expect to stay at your goal.
    You need to commit to a new healthier you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    slunburg wrote: »
    General daily weight fluctuations are normal, so personally, I think weighing daily IS obsessive. I weigh and measure once a week. I’m tempted to weigh more obviously, but I know that won’t necessarily give me any more of an accurate picture of what my weight is really doing, so I only weigh on Saturday mornings pre breakfast. I measure on Wednesdays though, so at least I get some more info mid week.

I use the Happy Scale app. Daily data points show trends much faster than weekly data points. The app has a trend line that smooths out the fluctuations. I don't care so much about the actual number, but whether I am in the green (losing) or not.