Oat Milk

Options
Pros? Cons? Because I just tried it and think its amazing!

Replies

• Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I love it. I use the barista version mostly as it's so creamy. Biggest pro for me is the environmental impact being much better than milk. Also I think it tastes better - I prefer it to milk now and miss it if I'm staying with my parents or similar.
  • MiaBella444
    MiaBella444 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love it. I use the barista version mostly as it's so creamy. Biggest pro for me is the environmental impact being much better than milk. Also I think it tastes better - I prefer it to milk now and miss it if I'm staying with my parents or similar.

I like it better than almond milk. It really is creamy! I have not frothed it yet but I heard it really does, nicely. Not too many brands on the market that I have seen but I give it a month before it comes out in droves!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I agree it’s much more ‘like’ dairy milk than almond milk, although I enjoy both. I think each have their place in my diet.

I have recently found a brand of oat yoghurt and was really disappointed with it. Just about the only thing I can’t give up is Skyr, and I was hoping the oat yoghurt would do it, but no....it’s sweet and has a strange ‘fake’ viscosity that is vaguely unpleasant. Coconut yoghurt tastes of coconut and Soy Yoghurt is sweet too and has almost no ‘tang’.

I use Skyr for so many things; with fruit, as a sour cream sub, mixed with various spices/hot sauces as creamy dressing, as a sub for cream in sauces, in baking etc etc. I wish I could find an acceptable plant based replacement. 😢
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Another oat milk and skyr fan here. So many calories saved with almost no downside!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    For me, dairy is either beneficial for protein (cottage cheese and greek yogurt or if using a plant milk, soy) or because I want to add some healthy fat to a smoothie (so homemade cashew milk, which is creamy and contains the cashews). I don't really use any milks otherwise, because I don't particularly desire it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Oat milk is my absolute favorite milk. The only "con" is that you aren't going to be getting the protein you'd get with either dairy or soy milk, but it's no problem for me to get protein from other sources.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    My kids are allergic to dairy so we only drink oat milk here. I absolutely love it, no way will I ever go back to drinking cow's milk - I would rather drink black coffee than have cows' milk ruin a latte :)

Pro's

-Prefer the taste

-It's massively beneficial to the environment to drink oat milk, particularly if you consider things like water footprint and land use.

- You can store unopened oat milk in the cupboard, freeing up space in the fridge

Cons

- Price. Although if you are UK based, Asda do their own for £1/litre

- Hot chocolate definitely tastes different. But I only really drink that in the winter - a bit of experimenting needed with different brands of hot chocolate was needed.

Another vote for Skyrr btw, it's just awesome.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I like Soy milk better for the taste and protein content. My wife is allergic to cow dairy so we eat the same way. She can handle A2/A2 in limited quantities, though.

I drink some Oat but don't honestly love the taste. It's OK but I like Soy better. I've also made my own. However, if you make your own, you have to watch it as it get the oat milk "slime" if you overdo the blending and squeezing. It will literally stretch like slime. I do like to make my own DF milks as I can control what goes into them better. I have organic soy that I use but soy is a bit of a pain in that you have to heat it when making it yourself. I use a "Chufamix" to make mine. It's a fantastic device -- very simple if you have a powerful stick blender already.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    My household has 2x pro-moo and 2x anti-moo. The anti-moo-ers have settled on Planet Oat oatmilk. I'm a pro-moo-er, but I've certainly tried the oatmilk and I think it's an amazing substitute from the point of flavor and mouth-feel. I assume it's pretty much highly pureed oats and water, which explains why it offers only modest protein. But, in general, it seems like a great food.

I kind of smile when I watch my anti-moo-ers make oatmeal with oatmilk instead of water. That seems rather unnecessary!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I tried it but this is one alternative I don't like. For me, it had a lingering chalky taste. It separated and ruined my coffee. Your mileage may vary.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I like it, too. Soy milk is my number one but oat milk comes in second. Both have a fairly neutral taste unlike many of the nut milks. Almond milk just makes my coffee taste weird.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be an odd one out and say I don't care for it. I have even tried making my own with little success.
  • MiaBella444
    MiaBella444 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    JaxxieKat wrote: »
    I'm going to be an odd one out and say I don't care for it. I have even tried making my own with little success.

I completely understand that people have different tastes. I read so many here that love soy milk and it makes me gag! :smiley: