Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Wow looking great @alexmose! Are you recomping or are you heading into a surplus?
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Wow looking great @alexmose! Are you recomping or are you heading into a surplus?

Wow seriously thank you and @KHMcG I guess maybe I’m a little close to the finished product to notice.

@sardelsa that is an excellent question. I think this new 3 day split is JUST taxing enough that I am moving a tad less which causes a 1 lb weight gain over the past month-ish. Nothing to write home about. I guess I’ll recomp for now but if I see weight trending upward, I don’t think it’s a big deal unless it’s a total 4-5LB increase.

I just tell myself that the scale may go up but I’m gaining Muscle as long as I keep lifting 😂

• sardelsa
    alexmose wrote: »

Wow seriously thank you and @KHMcG I guess maybe I’m a little close to the finished product to notice.

@sardelsa that is an excellent question. I think this new 3 day split is JUST taxing enough that I am moving a tad less which causes a 1 lb weight gain over the past month-ish. Nothing to write home about. I guess I’ll recomp for now but if I see weight trending upward, I don’t think it’s a big deal unless it’s a total 4-5LB increase.

I just tell myself that the scale may go up but I’m gaining Muscle as long as I keep lifting 😂

I know it can be a mental struggle but you are in the perfect position to start a bulk if you wanted, even a very small surplus, 1lb per month over at least 6-8 months will you will gain a decent amount of muscle and keep the fat gain minimal. It really depends on your goals of course you look awesome so you could stay where you are and first try out recomp for a while and see where it takes you, but I definitely would not cut any more!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    You guys are all looking fantastic.

I'm not doing terribly, but not being consistent enough. I'd been creeping down on the scale with a day I weighed 171.2 and had my moving average down to 173.2 but in the 16 days since I've just been eating way too much, averaging 100+ over TDEE, let alone my target range, and back up over 174 by average. I'd also let my volume dip, not getting up early enough to get all necessary sets in before getting to the office. Over the course of this week I've improved that somewhat and trying to get back to Arnold's L2 program as written. I have a serious problem tinkering with programs that I need to curb.

I plan on doing a skulpt scan tomorrow morning. I'll some pictures if I remember too. Based on the recomp discussion earlier in the week I wonder if between my training age and body composition if I've gotten most of the mileage I can glean from recomping and need to finally get my head together to run a lean bulk.
  • alexmose

I know it can be a mental struggle but you are in the perfect position to start a bulk if you wanted, even a very small surplus, 1lb per month over at least 6-8 months will you will gain a decent amount of muscle and keep the fat gain minimal. It really depends on your goals of course you look awesome so you could stay where you are and first try out recomp for a while and see where it takes you, but I definitely would not cut any more!

Thank you for this. I guess for now I’ll just eat as I please and see where that takes me. No worries, I have gotten down to 103lbs and felt just awful so I don’t want to go down anymore!!
  • alexmose
    steveko89 wrote: »

I'm not doing terribly, but not being consistent enough. I'd been creeping down on the scale with a day I weighed 171.2 and had my moving average down to 173.2 but in the 16 days since I've just been eating way too much, averaging 100+ over TDEE, let alone my target range, and back up over 174 by average. I'd also let my volume dip, not getting up early enough to get all necessary sets in before getting to the office. Over the course of this week I've improved that somewhat and trying to get back to Arnold's L2 program as written. I have a serious problem tinkering with programs that I need to curb.

I plan on doing a skulpt scan tomorrow morning. I'll some pictures if I remember too. Based on the recomp discussion earlier in the week I wonder if between my training age and body composition if I've gotten most of the mileage I can glean from recomping and need to finally get my head together to run a lean bulk.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been here: recomp or bulk/cut. How many training years do you have? I only have about 3.
  • sardelsa
    @steveko89 I am always tinkering with programs, but for the first time I'm following it as written (with very slight modifications based on equipment limitations) and it's only been 3 weeks but I feel like it's actually making a difference.

And yes definitely keep us posted on the scan!
  • alexmose
    @steveko89 I am always tinkering with programs, but for the first time I'm following it as written (with very slight modifications based on equipment limitations) and it's only been 3 weeks but I feel like it's actually making a difference.

All Programs need more glutes, am I right!?! 😉
  • steveko89

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been here: recomp or bulk/cut. How many training years do you have? I only have about 3.

Been at it for 5. If the skulpt numbers are to be believed, I started at ~18%, down to just under 12% now. Weight has been no higher than 185 at 6'1". I do feel like I've made some good progress aesthetically over the last 8-12 months given that I've gotten a fair amount of "you've been working out!" type comments from people who've known me for years than I had in the 2-3 years prior. Mentally, I struggle with the prospect of fat gain as I was mild/moderately overweight growing up.
  • alexmose

Been at it for 5. If the skulpt numbers are to be believed, I started at ~18%, down to just under 12% now. Weight has been no higher than 185 at 6'1". I do feel like I've made some good progress aesthetically over the last 8-12 months given that I've gotten a fair amount of "you've been working out!" type comments from people who've known me for years than I had in the 2-3 years prior. Mentally, I struggle with the prospect of fat gain as I was mild/moderately overweight growing up.

Again, been there with growing up. With any luck, you maybe ALSO have a mildly overweight nuclear family. It’s a mental hurdle, one I had even posted about previously. Can’t say I’ve completely gotten over it either.

Like I said before, anything below a certain weight, I tell myself It has to be muscle since I’m still lifting, or it’s inflammation coming back post lockdown, etc 😂
  • steveko89
    edited July 2020

When we first had that discussion that @pitbullpuppy started about the Arnold bible program, when I found the PDF I went straight to the programs, yanked out the one that looked like would fit my existing schedule and mushed it into that format. I've long been a fan of supersets and giant sets so the result was a completely jumbled order. Over time I stripped out stuff I didn't like doing and messed with the rep ranges to prep for that online lifting competition and had gotten too far away from even how I set it up initially, let alone how it was written. Early this week I actually went back and read some of the narrative in the book and it explains some of the reasoning behind it. Wednesday I followed it to the letter and actually felt some soreness and a good pump, both of which are pretty unusual for me so I have to agree, I think there's definitely something to be said for following a prescribed design.
  • alexmose
    Skulpt Data from this morning:
    rcpshktqalot.png
    Continuous but gradual improvement since March. Honestly better than I was expecting since weight has been up a bit.

July weight chart:
    tvq9u8gdwomz.png
    You can really see the day I had like five donuts a few weeks ago. The last few days have been high carb and sodium with pizza Wednesday and chipotle last night.

Actually took some pictures this morning too:
    tyey1xfdxslk.jpeg
    Comparing with the last batch of photos I took I probably hadn’t been giving myself enough credit in terms of added size but I do think I need to cut more to truly get to the point of starting a bulk. Thoughts?

I think it’s been considered anything below 12%, go for the bulk for males so you’re in that zone! You’ve spent some time at maintence and likely are comfy with your current look. You could bulk but with the end of summer coming.....haha I always consider external factors
  • steveko89
    rcpshktqalot.png
    Continuous but gradual improvement since March. Honestly better than I was expecting since weight has been up a bit.

July weight chart:
    tvq9u8gdwomz.png
    You can really see the day I had like five donuts a few weeks ago. The last few days have been high carb and sodium with pizza Wednesday and chipotle last night.

tyey1xfdxslk.jpeg
    Comparing with the last batch of photos I took I probably hadn’t been giving myself enough credit in terms of added size but I do think I need to cut more to truly get to the point of starting a bulk. Thoughts?

I think it’s been considered anything below 12%, go for the bulk for males so you’re in that zone! You’ve spent some time at maintence and likely are comfy with your current look. You could bulk but with the end of summer coming.....haha I always consider external factors

Depends on who you ask, sometimes 12%, sometimes <10% or until abs/you feel small. Despite leveling off at that 173 range I’d ultimately prefer to get leaner; I still feel like I have a thin layer of flab I need to get rid of in certain places. I’m also not convinced I can trust myself to make that decision appropriately as I have a serious problem with imposter syndrome, unrealistic expectations, and self-criticism.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    rcpshktqalot.png

July weight chart:
    tvq9u8gdwomz.png

tyey1xfdxslk.jpeg

Depends on who you ask, sometimes 12%, sometimes <10% or until abs/you feel small. Despite leveling off at that 173 range I’d ultimately prefer to get leaner; I still feel like I have a thin layer of flab I need to get rid of in certain places. I’m also not convinced I can trust myself to make that decision appropriately as I have a serious problem with imposter syndrome, unrealistic expectations, and self-criticism.

First off your looking great
    Second I hate you for gaining 4lb of muscle in a month, that’s at least 2 years of work for me lol

If you do plan I bulk I’d drop about 10lb
    Your holding fat in the usual places, lower back and abs, it’ll give you more wiggle room for bulking
  • steveko89
    Thanks, Watts. I don’t think it’s really 4 lbs, in all actuality I should scan everyday and take the trend like with weight but I already spend too much time narotically collecting data. There are only a few accuracy comparisons outer but my impression is that it’s way better than your garden variety scale sensors but still only within 1-2% of underwater weighing so I don’t necessarily take the number as gospel.
  • steveko89
    edited August 2020
    Thanks, Watts. I don’t think it’s really 4 lbs, in all actuality I should scan everyday and take the trend like with weight but I already spend too much time narotically collecting data. There are only a few accuracy comparisons outer but my impression is that it’s way better than your garden variety scale sensors but still only within 1-2% of underwater weighing so I don’t necessarily take the number as gospel.

I did some follow-up to my alleged muscle gain rate. Taking my moving average weight in lieu of single day weight and comparing the skulpt scans I've done this year you get the following table:

kyjgld0yrkgo.png

So 3.208 lbs net muscle gain over 145 days, aka a rate of +0.619 lb/month while losing 1.19 lbs/month fat

Calorie-wise, my data suggests I averaged a surplus of ~27 calories over that span per back-calculated TDEE and average tracked calories.
  • watts6151

I did some follow-up to my alleged muscle gain rate. Taking my moving average weight in lieu of single day weight and comparing the skulpt scans I've done this year you get the following table:

kyjgld0yrkgo.png

So 3.208 lbs net muscle gain over 145 days, aka a rate of +0.619 lb/month while losing 1.19 lbs/month fat

Calorie-wise, my data suggests I averaged a surplus of ~27 calories over that span per back-calculated TDEE and average tracked calories.

Looks like great overall progress

How are you working out your FFM
    Surely that should of gone up along side
    Your LBM ?

• steveko89
    watts6151 wrote: »

kyjgld0yrkgo.png

Your LBM ?

I didn't realize I fat-fingered the F key, that should just be "FM" as in "fat mass" as just the remainder of Total Weight - LBM
  • watts6151
    watts6151 wrote: »

kyjgld0yrkgo.png

Your LBM ?

I didn't realize I fat-fingered the F key, that should just be "FM" as in "fat mass" as just the remainder of Total Weight - LBM

That makes a lot more sense, thought I was missing something obvious 😂
    Great progress in under 5 months