What is your resting heart rate?

Replies

• ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Mine is anywhere between 56 and 62 - I have bad sinus issues and allergies so sometimes I struggle with my breathing
  • Jamaal89
    Jamaal89 Posts: 6 Member
    I use whoop device and my typical is 48
  • kwhammett567
    kwhammett567 Posts: 4 Member
    58-60 bpm...Im active 6 days a week.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I have an idea it's mid 50s (used to be mid or low 60s before I started doing cardio six days a week for an hour). Wish I had an Apple Watch to know for sure and my dogs don't let me stay in bed long enough to check it when I first wake up. They go from 0 to 60 in like four seconds!

• vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member

I'm a cyclist but I think a lot of it is genetic.

I come from a line of long-lived women so I'm guessing I got the good heart gene :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    My RHR varies between 60-70. Surprising 2me that so many ppl report a RHR of 30-40. Just seems REALLY low but if ur still beathing it's all good. :)
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    40s. Bring on the electrolytes!
  • suzanna333
    suzanna333 Posts: 23 Member
    According to my Garmin, my current 7-day average is 51. It drops into the 40s when I am sleeping. I do very brisk 4-mile walks 2-3 times a week and swim 1800 yards 4-5 times a week.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Well, you're likely to get a seriously biased sample, asking this here. People are probably more likely to post if they're sort of proud of where they are, less likely to post if they think it's sub-standard, so I'd expect the sample represented here to be biased toward low numbers. ;)

Lately, mine's been in the bottom half of the 50s, mostly. I'm doing kind of li'l ol' lady maintenance-level exercise in this pandemic phase. My resting HR has been close to there for a long time, though my exercise schedule has been seriously up and down since March.

If it matters, I'm 64, currently 5'5', about 129 pounds (BMI 21-point-something) and have been BMI 23 and below for nearly 5 years, after being class 1 obese for a few decades before that (BMI a little over 30, weight in 180s).

So, exercise:

Recent few weeks, 2 x 2K rowing machine 6 days a week usually at moderate steady state (takes about 25 minutes including cool-down, heart rate usually below 70% heart rate reserve), 3 days sloppy but low-rest strength training (about half an hour each session).

Pre-pandemic, what I've done for 15+ years, obese for the first 10 or so of them: Two days a week spin class, year round. In Spring to Fall, 4 days on-water rowing, about an hour per session, maybe a little more. Late Fall, when on-water rowing ends based on weather, slack off a little with just a bit of rowing machine 2-3 days a week to replace part of the on-water, but 200k plus on rowing machine in December, so 30-40 minutes fairly energetic 6 days a week. Start strength training after December, if I can get motivated (iffy), try to keep that up until Spring, alongside a little bit of machine rowing, walking when weather makes it pleasant enough (above freezing, mostly), sometime swim or something.

Resting rate usually drifts up a little (single digit increase) sometime after December, until regular on-water rowing resumes in Spring, then it heads back down.

There have been phases in there (including while obese, BTW), where my resting rate would frequently be in the upper 40s. I got a unexpected continuation of that, post-weight loss, even with seasonal exercise shrinkage, I guess until my heart decided my body didn't need it to be so efficient to power the smaller body around. :lol:

I don't know what my resting rate was when obese, before having gotten really addicted to rowing, because I only started measuring it for training purposes. I can only assume it was higher - probably materially higher, but that's a guess.

I'd say that it takes more of a change in exercise schedule (like a longer hiatus) to affect my resting rate now, after years of being pretty active, vs. what was typical when I first started monitoring resting rate, but I can't prove it.

Amusingly, my Garmin says my resting rate today so far is 63 (up around 10bpm), after an evening of seriously over-maintenance eating yesterday. That's an effect I've seen in similar circumstances before; it will pass soon, probably by tomorrow.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Mine is in the 90s. Is that abnormal?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

First thing in the morning before really getting up and moving around?

Yes.
  • Gigibabyyoda
    Gigibabyyoda Posts: 3 Member
    I'm a long distance runner and mine can get as low as 48. But usually averages in the 50s. I was worried cause I was getting heart palpations I'm fit and in shape cardiogram EKG normal. It turns out I was low in pottasium causing the palpations. The Dr says it's normal more fit people have lower heart rates. Its normal. 💙
  • MARILYNENA
    MARILYNENA Posts: 53 Member
    I am a brisk walker/ jjog 8k a day. My rate is 62bpm...
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Used to be mid 70s when I was obese and unfit. Am now a healthy weight and exercise pretty much daily (have done so for the last 4 years or so). It is around 55.
  • QueenZeeIsm
    QueenZeeIsm Posts: 104 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Mine too, but I've just started my fitness journey, so I am giving it time. That's just the average HR I get on my FitBit. Also, I have an Anxiety disorder, so that could have something to do with it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    IN the 50s according to fitbit. But it doesn't seem to count resting hr when I'm sleeping, when it's quite a bit lower. I can also ' will' it down by relaxing and looking at the numbers. Down into the mid 40s is no problem. It's not useful for anything other than giving a nurse a shock when she's taking your data and the HR suddenly jumps down by 10 or so bpm :D
  • AndreaMarie1236
    AndreaMarie1236 Posts: 69 Member
    Resting is 49
  • sassysmom35
    sassysmom35 Posts: 130 Member
    55-65...it has been as low as 49 and sometimes a bit higher if I have ongoing stress. It used to be way higher though...weight loss made a big difference
    Female, 42 yrs, 164.8 lbs 5'2"
    As for exercise I get at least 10,000 steps per day and 2-3 times a week I'll walk/runa 5k on the treadmill. My time is atrocious...54 minutes...but improving a little more each day.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    edited August 2020
    51 on average these days. It's gotten significantly lower since I started running 3* a week about 5 months ago. It was hovering around 60 for a good while when I was just walking. I do two walks a day with my dogs totalling a minimum of an hour but often two or more hours. I average about 15k steps a day.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    As low as 40 but on average it's in the mid-50's.