Need Help Moving Forward

I'm discouraged. I tracked my food pretty steadily for about 4 weeks. I felt hungry a lot in the evenings but I stuck with it.

For a while I've fluctuated between 248 and 252. During the 4 weeks, I watched my weight creep from 252 to 248. I weighed last week hoping to finally see a number that was lower than 248.

Instead, I popped back up 2 pounds to 250.

So I gave up this week. Just to give myself a break before I regroup and try again. I'm ready to do that now.

But I hoping for some suggestions and encouragement first. Any ideas about what went wrong? Anyone who's had the same thing happen and was able to get past it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Replies

• creesama
    creesama Posts: 125 Member
    How many calories are you eating?
    Are you weighing your foods?
    Are you tracking everything you eat?
    Any exercise happening?

Just need a little more info in order to better help😊
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    2 lbs fluctuations are normal. Don't give up.
  • DecryingShame
    DecryingShame Posts: 33 Member
    creesama wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating?
    Are you weighing your foods?
    Are you tracking everything you eat?
    Any exercise happening?

Just need a little more info in order to better help😊

I started off with the 1 pound a week option but upped it to .5 pound a week when I was getting shaky and dizzy.

I was eyeballing amounts of food but eventually discovered I was underestimating, which is probably why I was getting shaky and dizzy. I measure but haven't ever weighed.

I tracked everything.

Not much exercise. I don't enjoy it at the best of times but when I'm feeling hungry, I'm even less motivated. If I do anything, it's usually enthusiastically cleaning house.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    Four weeks isn’t enough to have a steady timeline. You need to give yourself longer.

Don’t tinker with your goals or calories every few days or week,- you’ll never get a handle on what works and what doesn’t if you don’t establish a base to begin with, give it time, and then adjust as needed.

Your weight is going to fluctuate a pound (or three or four) for things like periods, eating salty or high carb foods, even muscle soreness can cause water retention. I find my weight even goes up temporarily following certain types of exercise. And by the same token, can drop drastically after others (runs, hot classes, naturally anything that makes me sweat excessively.)

Try one of the apps that “smooths” your weight loss graph. I haven’t used one but others will be along to recommend one.

Get a food scale and weigh every darn morsel. That is THE most effective weight loss tool you can use.

Learn the art of substituting foods to make the most of your calorie allotment. Learn which foods give you the most oomph to boost your macros. Learn to enjoy what you eat, so this can be a “forever” process and not a “temporary” diet.

In fact, stop thinking of it as “temporary”. You’re doomed to fail if you do.

Read these forums every. single. day and take advantage of the many knowledgeable posters here. I am here to say, these guys, whether they know it or not, have informed my journey. I read these forums every day. There’s a wealth of information here, people sharing your experience, willing to answer any question.

Feeling down in the dumps? Go to the Success Stories thread. Need inspiration? There’s a woman on there in a wheelchair who has lost a buttload of weight simply by logging and counting calories.

Get out in the fresh air. Fresh air and sunshine help with depression. Find a way to start. Walk a hundred feet one day, 200 the next, and you’ll quickly build up to a mile or more. As Rudolph’s little friend the elf dentist said,”Put one foot in front of the other”. (I’m sure you’ll thank me for that when you wake up at midnight with that little gem burning a whole in your brain!)

And I’m going to go out on a friendly limb of friendly friendship here. For heavens sake, change your user name. Just reading it makes me sad for you. It reminds me of someone I loved who would hit themselves on their head and mutter “you’re stupid, you’re dumb, you’re ugly.” They were none of these things but my goodness, you keep saying it and eventually you’re going to believe it. Even if you’re “decrying” shame, get shame out of the equation. Shame is just an ugly word and has no place in the positive change you want to make. You don’t need shame staring you in the face multiple times a day, and if you really REALLY want to do this, you’re going to be on this app constantly.

Hugs, baby.

• Daveybaseball
    Daveybaseball Posts: 24 Member
    I'm discouraged. I tracked my food pretty steadily for about 4 weeks. I felt hungry a lot in the evenings but I stuck with it.

For a while I've fluctuated between 248 and 252. During the 4 weeks, I watched my weight creep from 252 to 248. I weighed last week hoping to finally see a number that was lower than 248.

Instead, I popped back up 2 pounds to 250.

So I gave up this week. Just to give myself a break before I regroup and try again. I'm ready to do that now.

But I hoping for some suggestions and encouragement first. Any ideas about what went wrong? Anyone who's had the same thing happen and was able to get past it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

If you are constantly feeling hungry then u might be doing something wrong. Yes occasionally u might feel hungry at first for the first several days eating less and that is normal, but after your body has adjusted you should be okay unless u are severaly under eating. Honestly to loose weight all u need to do is figure out about how much u burn calories wise in a day and eat less then whatever that number is in a day. If u wanna think bout it numbers wise that is about a 500 calories deficit a day and would be about a 3500 deficit a week as 3500 calories is what ive read that is supposedly equivalent to a pound. As others have said and I agree u need to stick to a plan for a good amount of time and switching after a few weeks will only give u minimal results as often the first weight u loose is water weight and only a few pounds. I recommend u try to eat foods that are higher in protein as they can fell u up. Also green vegetables are amazing as they are low in calories and if u eat a ton of them they fill u up. U just need to find a right balance of what works for u diet wise. You don’t need to cut everything out or not eat certain foods for say just make sure u are eatint in moderation and not alway eating the samething every meal. Moderation is important and key as if u can do that u don’t need to cut out much. Remember this won’t happen overnight and everyones journey is different. It took me about a month and a half last summer and year when I committed to loosing weights to start to see and even notice any type of difference or change. Also if u don’t like exercising maybe try going for a walk and start with a few times a week and build up from there. I personally workout few times a week and go for walks other days sometimes. It could be as much as 20-30 mins u start with and build up. I know I said a lot, but hopefully it helps!