60 yrs and up

Replies

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,191 Member
    A slow start to the week due to rain but I aim to pick up the pace as the week goes on. Good luck everyone have a good week.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    MiaBella444 I quit smoking over a year ago & put on 10 lbs then couldn't exercise at all due to a pinched nerve this past March for over a month & put on 5 more lbs but I'm not giving up trying ( I had to quit my paying job I got in January that I loved at the animal rescue where I've been a volunteer for several years because my right arm never recovered to normal from the pinched nerve & it's too weak & sore to do much) . Been swimming in our son's pool but too hot to walk much outside. All this after keeping 50 lbs off for 18months, ugh!! I'm one of those barbiecat mentioned that post once in a while. Mostly it's because I don't have much to say.Finally getting used to my new normal routine after all these months which is dog park M-F, swimming at my son's 2-3 days/wk & visiting with him & his family since they're both working from home, hanging out with our daughter. working 2 days/wk , only 2 hours each time(instead of 4) and getting through this HOT summer. I think maybe my routine didn't change as much as some, it's just not going to the gym, not volunteering at animal rescue , not going to Bible study/church & not seeing my best friend. I guess that's a lot looking at it written down. We also lost our 2 senior girl dogs in May & I miss them terribly. We still have our other 3 plus our little grand dog is staying with us but our house is so quiet without them dog wise.I'm putting the idea into my husband's head to get another dog to be companion for our shepherd dog since she doesn't play with the little ones or our special needs dog. Our daughter & her 4 kids are staying with us till Sept 1 so that's been difficult in our small house & I really feel an emotional need for my space but I feel so bad for her not having a place of her own right now. It's hard to clean & de clutter with their things, lots of toys, clothes etc around They all sleep in living room. I wish we had a bigger house but am grateful for what we have. It's big enough for me, husband & dogs.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    7sorok wrote: »
    TWJuly46 wrote: »
    How do I find directions on how to log in steps from my pedometer on my exercise tab?

I downloaded the "PACER" app to my iPhone and it syncs to MFP so I always know how many steps I take and MFP adjusts my calories accordingly. The app is free and I don't eat the walking calories which are permanently set to 1200 on MFP. The only inconvenience is that you have to have your iPhone with you at all times. Possibly there are some other things out there, but this works for me.

I may try that one. I've been using "Map My Walk" for couple years because I walked my dogs a lot, usually got my 10,000 steps in from walking them but can't do that anymore
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    So....2 weeks ago I ordered a resistance band kit. The shipping was delayed and after submitting a tracking claim, they are now expected to arrive today.
    Anyone use these & have a favorite routine they'd like to share?
  • lscollins81
    lscollins81 Posts: 1 Member
    I’ve been a MFP member for about 5 years, used the app off and on, but I had never explored these forums until now. I turned 61 last month, have 4 grown kids, no grandchildren yet. I’ve done a lot of weight loss programs in my lifetime, most recently Noom for the last year. I lost about 9 pounds, then COVID-19 hit. I became depressed and gained back about half of what I had lost. I’m finally getting back on track and have decided to utilize this app more than I have in the past. I need to lose at least 40 pounds to help with back, hip and feet issues.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 249 Member
    I’ve been a MFP member for about 5 years, used the app off and on, but I had never explored these forums until now. I turned 61 last month, have 4 grown kids, no grandchildren yet. I’ve done a lot of weight loss programs in my lifetime, most recently Noom for the last year. I lost about 9 pounds, then COVID-19 hit. I became depressed and gained back about half of what I had lost. I’m finally getting back on track and have decided to utilize this app more than I have in the past. I need to lose at least 40 pounds to help with back, hip and feet issues.

Welcome back! COVID has not been great to me either!! Thankfully I journal everything I eat and that at least keeps me honest😉Wishing you good luck!!
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Hey everyone! How’s it going? I am doing good have been out in my yard this morning! Went to Home Depot ( I love that store) got some flowers found some good deals too on plants. So I redid a flower bed this morning. I am taking care of my gentleman this afternoon. Then will go home and do some more gardening. Plant the rest of my flowers have a great day everyone 🤓💖🇺🇸🌹🦋🌷
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    :) My husband bought a Ninja Foodi and with the help of YouTube videos has made all sorts of tasty meals that are somewhat outside the boundaries I usually keep for eating. It has been a challenge.

:) My yard work projects have all been ones that can be done without buying much so I am content with my puttering. I've had home grown zucchini the last two nights.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited July 2020
    The heat wave is on in Idaho. Predicted 100+ for the next three days. Have not been walking much or working out, either. Just trying to maintain weight until this weather breaks. Stay cool, everyone! B)
  • grannysmith54
    grannysmith54 Posts: 48 Member
    good morning everyone, I am trying to drink my coffee BLACK, I need those calories I have been coloring my coffee with elsewhere. I only get 1200 calories a day so I got to make everyone of them count. Have a great day
  • cosafe1
    cosafe1 Posts: 27 Member
    Hello, I am returning to MFP because I want to make progress in my fitness and am 65 years old. I want to become more active because due to Covid19 like everyone else I have not gotten enough exercise and have a job where I work from home sitting in front of a computer at night.

I'm looking at ways to improve my health & fitness and am working on the following: low carb eating, exercise equipment, improving my sleep, improving on my intermittent fasting plan, journaling. I want to increase my motivation because I don't like exercising in the first place so it's hard to keep going.
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Good morning everyone! How are ya all doing! Well I am getting my flower beds cleaned up again. I have been going out in the morning until it gets hot. Temps have been in the high 90s by afternoon. So I am having my coffee then getting outside to play in the yard!! Have a blessed day!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    :) It's now dark enough in the morning when I walk the dogs before breakfast that I need to use a flashlight but since it is the heart of the summer, it gets very warm during the after breakfast walk so I have to wear a jacket that I can take off and tie around my waist as the temperature rises. My zucchini plants are busy and I've had enough to eat for supper each night and share a few with my neighbors.

:) I gave up drinking coffee a few years ago when I realized that what I liked was the high calorie creamer I put in it. I tapered off the coffee for a few days so I didn't get a headache and haven't had a cup since. Another payoff of not drinking coffee in the morning is that I can walk for a lot longer without needing to come home and use the rest room.

:) The exercise I like best is walking and listening to an audio book or a podcast. I am entertained and exercising at the same time.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 155 Member
    I'm 66 and have a backpacking trip scheduled in 2 months. I realize the extra weight I carry is equivalent to carrying a loaded pack! I can't lose 20 pounds in 8 weeks but I'd be happy with 5.
    I walk 5-7 days a week and have become of fan Jessica Smith's 6 Week Plan DVD. It has really helped my range of motion and upper body strength. Added bonus is she has her lovely 60 year old mother doing modified versions of the exercises.
  • grannysmith54
    grannysmith54 Posts: 48 Member
    So happy your in good enough health to do it, I am 66 and mostly sedentary due to heart condition, I envy you
  • mds1207
    mds1207 Posts: 42 Member
    I'm back...4 months between posts/weigh-ins, etc., and wait for it....Surprise, I gained weight!!! Quarantine 15+. Haven't been able to walk or workout due to operations on both feet. Should be back in shoes next Monday so fingers crossed. Thought I'd start tracking calories again as that seems to work really well for me. Hope you all are well and meeting your every goal.
  • mikebxb
    mikebxb Posts: 138 Member
    64. Lost 20lbs since starting MFP Nov 2019. it's going slower than expected
  • mikebxb
    mikebxb Posts: 138 Member
    I started Nov 2019 tracked all intake, lost 20 lbs but I've now plateau'd or stuck at 207+/- my target is 185. As you can imagine I'm getting frustrated. I've cut back cheese, milk, bread, pasta, potatoes, fried foods. I pat/squeeze all the grease from all lean beef, choose lean beef. no blue cheese/ranch dressing use vinegar and evoo instead. eat so much fresh kale, fresh lemon and organic apple cider I fart fireballs
  • annliz23
    mikebxb wrote: »
    I started Nov 2019 tracked all intake, lost 20 lbs but I've now plateau'd or stuck at 207+/- my target is 185. As you can imagine I'm getting frustrated. I've cut back cheese, milk, bread, pasta, potatoes, fried foods. I pat/squeeze all the grease from all lean beef, choose lean beef. no blue cheese/ranch dressing use vinegar and evoo instead. eat so much fresh kale, fresh lemon and organic apple cider I fart fireballs

What exercises fo you do could you increase those?
  • annliz23
    So happy your in good enough health to do it, I am 66 and mostly sedentary due to heart condition, I envy you

It's not a competition just do what you can a little walk regularly is great or healthy eating makes a difference.