Advice needed about skin care during/after weight loss

Hi all!

I never really was much of a skin care person but the combination of aging and losing weight is making it clear that I need to start. So I'd love to know what kinds of products have helped you out.

My main goals are to maintain skin elasticity as much as possible, and maintain hydration. I live in a very dry climate and am not fond of fussing with a lot of things. I'm also about halfway through my journey so I'm really starting to notice loose skin and things like that.

Replies

• Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,070 Member
    Thank you so much for the advice! Good to know I already do some of those things - like the protein, the exercise, the exfoliation. I could stand to use more sunblock when I do go out. (hate the way most of them feel but still.) Also it's really good to have rough numbers on skin retraction!

So thanks again, and I welcome other thoughts from anyone else as well.
  • Sand_TIger
    Awesome! Thanks very much for the info, AnnPT77. I truly appreciate it. :)
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Oil of Olay...I have never used soap on my face....I will be 69 and nobody ever guesses my age!
  • lilySovaje
    lilySovaje Posts: 3 Member
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    Hi all!

I never really was much of a skin care person but the combination of aging and losing weight is making it clear that I need to start. So I'd love to know what kinds of products have helped you out.

My main goals are to maintain skin elasticity as much as possible, and maintain hydration. I live in a very dry climate and am not fond of fussing with a lot of things. I'm also about halfway through my journey so I'm really starting to notice loose skin and things like that.

Skin care is a complex process.
    These are moisturizing gels, peels, and cleansing masks.
    I even started to practice mesotherapy at home, it also helps a lot.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    lilySovaje wrote: »
    Hi all!

Skin care is a complex process.
    These are moisturizing gels, peels, and cleansing masks.
    I even started to practice mesotherapy at home, it also helps a lot.
    That looks expensive. Do you really find it works?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    For moisturizing, I've never found anything that works better than plain simple glycerin water. (1 part glycerin to anywhere from 4-10 parts water depending on your preference). I usually use rosewater in place of some of the plain water (indian aisle in the grocery store).

I usually use a baby wipe to remove makeup or pre-wash my face in the morning, and then washcloth with just water. A facial scrub every other day or so (I like this one.. https://www.amazon.com/Freeman-Facial-Charcoal-Black-Polish/dp/B00MNYJPMK/).

Some sun protection on the face. Sunblock or SPF-containing BB cream or foundation or powder. (not necessarily even an SPF-rated powder or foundation..if it has any coverage, it'll provide much more protection versus nothing on your face).

Avoiding foods (and products) that you've found to negatively impact your skin (and this varies with person).
  • Sand_TIger
    Yeah, more sunblock is good - I have yet to find any that doesn't feel gross on my face but I'll keep looking! I don't wear makeup so I don't have to deal with that, but a nightly face wash would still be a good idea.

I'm wondering if anyone has had luck with tightening up loose skin and such using body lotion. Also I see all kinds of products that are supposed to reduce stretch marks, like Bio Oil, but I haven't a clue if they actually work or not. At the very least the skin in certain formerly large areas looks kind of dry so I intend to address that.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    There is no OTC lotion that will tighten skin.
    Lotions can help moisturize your skin, help it look better, and the act of massaging it in helps with circulation which helps a little towards cell turnover.

Bio Oil may help reduce the appearance of stretch marks over time but stretch marks are permanent.

Reading about Bio Oil it seems to be most effective if applied when skin is still slightly damp after a shower. This helps hold the moisture in. No idea of the veracity of this.

For a sunblock for your face try Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid. It is very light weight with the consistency of half and half cream.
    If you are not used to wearing any cream on your face you may just have to give it time so you can adjust to the feeling of it. Your older skin will thank you 10 yr from now.

Cheers, h.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Starting around my second 100 pounds of loss I began getting rashes a lot more often. Some of them were quite painful. If this starts I suggest getting some hibiclens and washing trouble areas 2 or 3 times a week.
  • Sand_TIger
    I'm on it with the Hibiclens! Really helps with yeast or bacteria related skin issues. I'll have to check on the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer. Sounds like it might be a little easier to deal with. I live in a really hot area so I have have issues with sweat kind of going through the sunblock and pooling on my skin and then getting in my eyes. Bleah!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member
    I'm on it with the Hibiclens! Really helps with yeast or bacteria related skin issues. I'll have to check on the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer. Sounds like it might be a little easier to deal with. I live in a really hot area so I have have issues with sweat kind of going through the sunblock and pooling on my skin and then getting in my eyes. Bleah!

I had that problem while rowing in summer. The sunblock *and* the sweat both sting, in the eyes! :grimace:

This may not work for you, but what I started doing was putting on sunblock** from eyes down (and on ears/neck of course), then wearing a hat with a bill, that has an at least somewhat absorbent material inside the hatband area. (One of my friends, for whom even that was not sufficient, started putting a terry cloth type sweatband headband inside the hat. Not sure if she sweats more, or if it's her preference for tech fabric hats when I prefer cotton, that makes the difference.)

No sunscreen above the eyes, but an absorbent layer just above the eyebrows, works pretty well for me. I try to put the sunscreen near/below my eyes, except where my rather large sunglasses cover, so everything's protected. (If you have nice hair, maybe hats are out. I'm not cute, especially when rowing. :lol: )

I don't take anything big (like a towel :lol: ) in the boat, but I had some backpacker towels (it's a super-absorbent non-woven material). I cut off a strip about 3-4" wide, then cut that into squares. I can tuck that in a pocket, or even pin it on to clothing or water bottle strap if no pockets, and that's enough to wipe sweat occasionally. They wash fine in the clothes washer.

** I like Neutrogena Sport Face. It's white at first, but sinks in or clears, or something, and is invisible. It holds up to sweat *really well*, and I sweat *a lot*.
  • Sand_TIger
    So hey! Has anyone used collagen peptides long enough to see if there's a benefit? It's supposed to be a high quality protein substitute that is good for skin, bones and hair, especially the hydrolyzed stuff. I can't find any decent studies on it but I have heard about collagen off and on for quite a long time.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    So hey! Has anyone used collagen peptides long enough to see if there's a benefit? It's supposed to be a high quality protein substitute that is good for skin, bones and hair, especially the hydrolyzed stuff. I can't find any decent studies on it but I have heard about collagen off and on for quite a long time.
    I’m curious too because I’m concerned about possibility of hair-loss during weight loss and I can’t have most basic protein powders as I’m increasingly lactose-intolerant. I’d love to hear people’s experience with it.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I love the new vitaminC line from Avon and it’s gentle enough to use with my nighttime Retinol cream. For daytime I never go out without sunscreen either. I really like the physicians formula brand tinted sunscreen and it’s very affordable.

I’m 40 with teenage kids and my original weight loss was 86lb (I’ve regained and lost 30lb twice since then 🤷‍♀️)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I’m curious too because I’m concerned about possibility of hair-loss during weight loss and I can’t have most basic protein powders as I’m increasingly lactose-intolerant. I’d love to hear people’s experience with it.

I take a daily collagen capsule supplement every morning with my thyroid meds and multi-vitamin. The one I use I found on Amazon