Legs, Back, Biceps

Options
Training the three all in one day, for example on Monday then on Friday again. With the Chest, Shoulder, Triceps on Wednesday and Saturday. Is that okay? Or am I at risk for injury or diminishing gains?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It's most likely ok if it's a proven program designed by a professional. If it's self-designed, maybe, maybe not.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Well, technically, you will be working out the same muscle group 2 days in a row which is generally not advised. But it depends on the intensity level also. I try to go low rep, high intensity so I could never do the same muscle group 2 days in a row as I need time to recover.

Your biceps and triceps are secondary on chest and probably shoulder exercises (I don’t specifically target my shoulders, so not 100% on that) that’s why I say you’ll be working them out multiple days in a row.
  • erikayvonne09
    erikayvonne09 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Well, technically, you will be working out the same muscle group 2 days in a row which is generally not advised. But it depends on the intensity level also. I try to go low rep, high intensity so I could never do the same muscle group 2 days in a row as I need time to recover.

Your biceps and triceps are secondary on chest and probably shoulder exercises (I don’t specifically target my shoulders, so not 100% on that) that’s why I say you’ll be working them out multiple days in a row.

Thanks! So probably I can get away with my monday and wednesday schedule but not the friday and saturday since it's two consecutive days.
  • unforgettable2010
    unforgettable2010 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

Biceps are not a secondary muscle to chest exercises. Only triceps. Biceps are secondary on back exercises. That’s why in a Leg/Push/Pull program tri’s go with chest and bi’s go with back. Tri’s are also secondary during an Overhead Press. Generally any other shoulder exercise targets deltoids and traps.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    2 x weekly not as great as 3 x weekly - but this probably allows shorter program time and can be done.

So that's better to actually do it.

Slower improvement doing it is better than no improvement because you can't.

And it's not doubling up muscles if you are using the traditional description for those lifting parts.
    As above states - differences between push and pulls - you are fine.

• strength1070
    strength1070 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    tlr?id=288654779227945&ev=PageView&noscript=1&.pngI would stick with 2
  • erikayvonne09
    erikayvonne09 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    tlr?id=288654779227945&ev=PageView&noscript=1&.pngI would stick with 2

What do you mean?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Likely the 2x weekly you asked about.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    4 days a week is generally the minimum for strength training. You could day a 2 day split (upper/lower) but 4 days a week if you want to build muscle.