Quiet cardio machine suggestions

I'm finally ready to lose my baby weight and get back to the old me. I have learned over the years if I don't exercise in the morning, it won't happen. So my old go to was to wake up at 4:30, head to the gym, use cardio machine and weights, then sneak back into the house before anyone woke up. (I have 2 kids and a SO that are very light sleepers.) Due to COVID I don't want to go to a gym and it is too dark at 4:30 to exercise outside. Can you please givee suggestions for quiet cardio machines. I fear if I can't find a quiet machine I will never get back into shape.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    VersaClimber (and machines that do similar movement), rowers, ellipticals
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I have a Gazelle Edge arc trainer. Same principle as an elliptical but smaller footprint (it fits in my room and I can watch television or listen to music while I'm on it) and shorter stride for people like me who are on the shorter side. Since it's mechanical and not electrical, it's pretty quiet.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    VersaClimber (and machines that do similar movement), rowers, ellipticals

Hm, maybe it depends on the rowing machine, but our Concept 2 makes more noise than our treadmill (I need to set the TV at a higher volume while rowing).
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    It depends on what you get. Residential machines tend to be cheaper and nosier. My cybex arc trainer is the quietest piece of cardio I have ever used in my life. Even commercial treadmills tend to be somewhat noisy in my experience and I had a residential one briefly that was even worse than any commercial treadmill as for as noise.

The concept2 will depend on model. The newer ones are supposed to be quieter, but they are on back order and as such, used ones are more money than a new one would be.

Could you sneak out and walk around the neighborhood? Especially early morning, the weather might not be too hot/humid yet (depending on where you live).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Even the newer Concept 2 rowers are not all that quiet, if you ask me. In the world of rowers, I think Water Rowers are a little quieter than C2s (and I say that as someone who'd never choose a WR over a C2).

If OP wants a very quiet machine, and that quiet is the absolute priority, I don't think any of the respected rowers are going to be the answer.

They're not deafening or anything, but they aren't anything like soundless, either.
  • Dogmom1978
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Even the newer Concept 2 rowers are not all that quiet, if you ask me. In the world of rowers, I think Water Rowers are a little quieter than C2s (and I say that as someone who'd never choose a WR over a C2).

If OP wants a very quiet machine, and that quiet is the absolute priority, I don't think any of the respected rowers are going to be the answer.

They're not deafening or anything, but they aren't anything like soundless, either.

I have never used a water rower. I have an older concept2 (model B PM1) i don’t find it to be obscenely loud, but I’ve heard the new ones are quieter. If OP has light sleepers, I agree a rower might not be the way to go.

My arc trainer is super quiet though. Personally, it’s the quietest piece of cardio I’ve ever experienced. I STILL don’t know for sure that it would be quiet enough for the OP, which was why I suggested possible outdoor exercise if they can get out of the house quietely
  • mothermoose116
    mothermoose116 Posts: 20 Member
    A decent spin bike isn't that loud, not the way I used it anyway. Stay away from treadmills is though!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Thanks for starting this thread! It's been too hot for me to get my cardio outdoors and I'm getting sick of my indoor options. I am sensitive to noise so this is a big consideration.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I have a water rower and a spin bike, both are quiet. I love the whoosh sound of my rower. They also stand up and get out of the way.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    I’ve had my Exerpeutic magnetic stationary bike for 2 months and I’m impressed with how sturdy and quiet it is
  • kshama2001
    I have a water rower and a spin bike, both are quiet. I love the whoosh sound of my rower. They also stand up and get out of the way.

@L1zardQueen what brand and model of water rower?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited August 2020
    @kshama2001 This one but I have an older model, at least 20 years old. I recently upgraded to a newer monitor and replaced the tank which parts are readily available. The tank was cracked when moving to a new house. It’s American made. Bonus.

https://www.waterrower.com/us/shop/natural-rowing-machine.html
  • kshama2001
    @kshama2001 This one but I have an older model, at least 20 years old. I recently upgraded to a newer monitor and replaced the tank which parts are readily available. The tank was cracked when moving to a new house. It’s American made. Bonus.

https://www.waterrower.com/us/shop/natural-rowing-machine.html

Thanks!
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Life Fitness IC7 spin bike
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    i use a recumbent exercise bike that is very quiet - except it beeps when you turn it on or click any buttons. you can go into the console and disconnect the speaker, i believe. the beeps don't wake my husband if i jump on at 3 in the morning, and the pedaling is very quiet. but they make some you don't even have to plug in to use, and those don't beep.

i find that even your average $120 magnetic (magnetic is important for quietness and also smoothness of motion) exercise bike or stepper is silent.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    Any "quality" spin bike w/a belt (not chain) drive should be relatively quiet. Extra wt and quality of construction also makes it more stable and less noisy (no rattles).

I've got a very solidly constructed, belt driven LeMond RevMaster Pro spin bike that weighs over 100 lbs, which is very quiet.
    Air bikes w/fans on them on the other hand are very noisy. More so than my Concept2 rower IMO which is much more noisy than my spin bike.

• xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    I have a commercial grade belt-driven spin bike that is practically silent. I also have a cheaper belt-driven spin bike that is quiet but does make some noise.

I have/have had treadmills, ellipticals, an ACT elliptical, a rower and a standard exercise bike and my commercial spin bike is definitely the quietest. I used to use my other spin bike before 5am in the lounge though and never woke my kids up. Now my gym is set up in the garage so early mornings are even easier. 🙂

• Dogmom1978
    I have a commercial grade belt-driven spin bike that is practically silent. I also have a cheaper belt-driven spin bike that is quiet but does make some noise.

I have/have had treadmills, ellipticals, an ACT elliptical, a rower and a standard exercise bike and my commercial spin bike is definitely the quietest. I used to use my other spin bike before 5am in the lounge though and never woke my kids up. Now my gym is set up in the garage so early mornings are even easier. 🙂

The other equipment you mention isn’t commercial so I’m not surprised. Although even commercial treadmills aren’t super quiet. My commercial arc trainer is practically silent. My concept2 drives my husband crazy with how loud it is. My commercial bike is also very quiet, but not as quiet as the arc trainer. I could hear a pin drop while using it lol.
  • bdelaney33
    bdelaney33 Posts: 150 Member
    Peloton is very quiet; you can use headphones as well... the only negative is clipping in to the bike (I guess you could leave your shoes clipped in all the time to eliminate that)
  • Dogmom1978
    bdelaney33 wrote: »
    Peloton is very quiet; you can use headphones as well... the only negative is clipping in to the bike (I guess you could leave your shoes clipped in all the time to eliminate that)

Personally, I think peloton is over priced junk, but maybe it is quiet. I just think there are much better products available for the same or less money. Depends on what you’re into I guess