60 yrs and up

Replies

• BobWillers
    BobWillers Posts: 33 Member
    edited August 2020
    Another weigh in today, just under a pound loss. At least I'm not gaining which is a good thing.
    Strange thing is I never ever get the munchies at night...but just lately I have experienced cravings.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    BobWillers wrote: »
    Another weigh in today, just under a pound loss. At least I'm not gaining which is a good thing.
    Strange thing is I never ever get the munchies at night...but just lately I have experienced cravings.

Every bit adds up!
  • annliz23
    Hi Everyone! I'm back. I really need to be serious and lose this weight. My knees are beginning to hurt again. I can use some friends to help cheer me on and of course I will do the same for them. I lost 60 pounds and then with the stress of losing my dog and then the virus I have put back about 35 pounds. Wow!! Can I feel the difference. I logged my food this morning and I'm trying to get back to eating healthy and staying away from the sweets. Wishing you all a good day!!

It's so sad when we lose or pets, I feel for you!
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Thank you Annliz23, My little Addy was my constant companion for 15 years. I miss her so much. I have just gotten another Australian Terrier so that has helped me want to get back on track and get healthy.
  • Timberlan127
    Barbiecat, Thank you for all the good advice!! I agree staying active is very important. And with all the hot weather we've had it's even more important than normal to get going early. I would love to keep the sweets out of the house since they are my weakness. But my husband loves his sweets and he is thin so he can afford to eat them. I try to buy the sweets he likes but I'm not as crazy about so I won't be tempted to eat them. I like your suggestion of eating the same things all the time. It's so hard to plan meals after a while. I'm going to use that suggestion at least for breakfast and lunch. That will take some of the pressure off thinking about what to eat. Thank you for your help!!

• Timberlan127
    I'm feeling good after having a good day. I got in 10,000 steps and made my calorie goal of 1200. Drank all my water. So I'm off to a good start. Now I'm going to give the dog one last walk of the day and then relax. Hope you all had a good day. :)
  • hurstaubra
    hurstaubra Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, 65, male, and told I have type 2 diabetes. Weigh 275. Will try to lose 90 pounds. Only on day three. A1C went from 6.4 to 8.1 in one year. On metformin and down to 7.1
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    ... It helps me to eat a lot of the same things every day or frequently so I don't waste a lot of energy planning and it's easier to log. I seek every opportunity to be active. A good way to stay away from sweets is to not buy them .LOL

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I read this and then realized I have been doing this a lot. A protein bar to start the day and a salad with a varied protein source for lunch. That gets me through to dinner which varies widely depending on who is cooking. It's working well for me.

• Peter_P53
    Peter_P53 Posts: 20 Member
    Hello everyone, I've been on MFP before and found I've had to return as I let my weight go up too much. I've been logging for a few months (current streak is 85 days) and I set my goal and start weight last Saturday (1st August). First weigh in is tomorrow. Looking to find some like minded friends for mutual encouragement. I live in Sutton, South London, UK and I'm 67 years old.
  • Timberlan127
    I hope everyone is doing well today. I am doing ok so far. My calories are slightly higher today than yesterday. But all healthy eating. I will watch my dinner serving so I won't be too far over my 1200 calorie goal. Already have 7,663 steps. I'll head out for my afternoon walk with the dog soon so I will easily get in my 10,000 steps. Weather here is a little cooler than it has been so it's not as hard to get out an walk.

I like the idea of having mostly the same foods each day. It does cut back on the planning. I also do try to keep active. I wish i could dance or run but my knees are not good so I'm thankful to be able to get oput and walk often throughout the day.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    Hi everyone! I turned 60 in March and just saw this group. I hope you don't mind if I jump in! I thought it might be really nice to hear how others deal with knee pain and trying to get in walks, and some of the other joy we get to deal with at this age! :)

I'm a 60 year old married female. I recently lost my job of 30+ years due to position elimination as a result of COVID-19 layoffs. Not old enough to get Medicare or SS, but feel way to tired and defeated to start over. It is amazing how much of my identity was tied to my career. I had no idea.

Anyway, I'm trying to use this downtime to get serious about losing weight and getting healthier. Cardiologist suggested I try Mediterranean Diet. My echo was good, but there are things that could help make it even better. I am a terrible cook, so I guess I will be shopping for a Mediterranean Diet cookbook in the near future... :smile:

Have a great day everyone!

Tracie in WI

• KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    I last posted here in mid-July. Much has happened. I was on temp. furlough then from my job. They started opening up but needed to have a 15% reduction in force. I was one of those laid off. I found out right before we went on a carefully planned small trip to the beach. We rented a condo through a service that does extra cleaning and contactless check in. We brought all our own food. It was a good break and good way to start transitioning from my situation. I got some long walks on the beach in. Last week I went in and got my stuff from my office. This week I contacted those to update my references and applied to a job. I found out I do not need to make 3 job contacts until September so I will only apply to jobs that really fit. What I wanted to focus on now was losing weight and de-cluttering my house. There are a few jobs right now to apply to but after that there may not be as many. So maybe I focus on job search in the next week and get back to my focus afterwards. My husband is working from home and we have been doing fine up till now.

Any way I looked and I have lost 3.4 lbs since I last posted. Since I was having trouble with my smartwatch irritating my skin I got a Fitbit Zip that counts steps, distance and calories only. I will miss the heart rate and stairs options but don’t really need the sleep tracking anyway. I am just trying to get a base line of my steps this week and will go from there to up them each week. I have been getting exercise 5 days a week of which 2 includes strength training.

@Tombelan127 Australian Terriers sound like a nice breed. Enjoy walking your new dog.

@PackerFaninGB as you can see above we are in a similar situation having been laid off due to COVID related reduction of force. I loved my job and hoped it would take me to retirement. I am full retirement age in terms of Social Security but since I took time off to be home with my children when they were younger and got hit with the last economic downturn it isn’t really enough. We were using my income to get ready for retirement by fixing our house etc.

As to making meals easy I have actually been getting into meal planning in order to limit the amount of shopping we do. I have been cooking more since I am home. I have enjoyed it but I may make it more formulaic in future so I can concentrate on job search, decluttering my house and losing weight.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) Part of the reason that I eat a lot of the same things over and over is that I decided to stop using food as recreation and entertainment. I eat five small meals each day and three of them are exactly the same every day. The other two are rotations of a few good recipes or simple cooking ideas. This allows me to think less of food and more about being active or pursuing my hobbies.

:) Someone once told me that she thought that getting healthy was my hobby. It certainly is a very high priority for me.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • grannysmith54
    grannysmith54 Posts: 48 Member
    Hi everyone! I turned 60 in March and just saw this group. I hope you don't mind if I jump in! I thought it might be really nice to hear how others deal with knee pain and trying to get in walks, and some of the other joy we get to deal with at this age! :)

I'm a 60 year old married female. I recently lost my job of 30+ years due to position elimination as a result of COVID-19 layoffs. Not old enough to get Medicare or SS, but feel way to tired and defeated to start over. It is amazing how much of my identity was tied to my career. I had no idea.

Anyway, I'm trying to use this downtime to get serious about losing weight and getting healthier. Cardiologist suggested I try Mediterranean Diet. My echo was good, but there are things that could help make it even better. I am a terrible cook, so I guess I will be shopping for a Mediterranean Diet cookbook in the near future... :smile:

Have a great day everyone!

Tracie in WI

welcome to the group
  • grannysmith54
    welcome to the group, i am 66 and using the premium version so I can follow my macros, you will do great
  • grannysmith54
    ptp1953 wrote: »
    First weigh in this morning and I'm down 3lbs, pretty happy with that #startingstrong 😄

• annliz23
    ptp1953 wrote: »
    First weigh in this morning and I'm down 3lbs, pretty happy with that #startingstrong 😄

Fantastic