Do you find dieting easy? (as in counting calories and exercising)

Options
2»

Replies

• aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It gets easier as time goes on.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I found the process simple, but the doing not always easy.

Set a calorie goal, count the calorie intake to the best of my ability/willingness, estimate the calories out, eat them back, watch the scale, adjust the goals, repeat for months: Pretty simple, as a set of practices.

Figuring out how not to feel hungry, how to minimize cravings, how to make myself move more when I don't feel like it, how to be happy living in a different way over the long term, etc.: Not always easy.

If the problem is with paragraph 2 above, then start with this thread (ignore the joke/click-bait title, it's OK):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

. . . then read other posts in the "Most Helpful Posts" part of the "Getting Started" and "General Health, Fitness & Diet" parts of the forum, as you have time. Direct links to those:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest

That's the easy part. Then there's the stuff in paragraph 3 above, the potentially hard behavioral part. That's all about considering your own needs, strengths, limitations, challenges, etc., persistently trying things, learning from mis-steps rather than being defeated by them, and sticking with it until you have a process that fits you, is sustainable, and that requires as little willpower as you can make it require.

Best wishes!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    By and large each step has been easy. Where it has been hard has been behavioral triggers that I discovered, and emotions hidden under the poundage. But even when it's gotten hard, it's never been more than I could handle. And, worst case scenario, I engage in harm reduction; I eat a little more, and go to bed, because tomorrow is a new day and I'll feel better then, and I always do.
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think this is different for everyone. But for me, it's hard. But I love it. I'd much rather be working hard on myself than sitting in a recliner watching Netflix (although both have their places).

Being motivated and putting the work into a goal is so rewarding. Not just in the long term, but during my workouts, and each day. The sacrifices don't really bother me. Alot of it is about perspective and what you focus on.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Once I am in the routine, and have set in what works for me, it is pretty easy. However, all it takes is one small slip up to fall off the path, and when I fall - I fall.

It's so hard for me to get back into a good thing, and that is where I'm at right now, unfortunately.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Did you come up with a plan to reduce how many calories you were taking in, such as fasting or starting your day off with a walk?

I find it easy to record all my meals, and they mostly come in under my calorie goal.

I find it hard to sustain a proper exercise program, but I walk fairly often.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Did you come up with a plan to reduce how many calories you were taking in, such as fasting or starting your day off with a walk?

I started by logging my food for a week just to see exactly how many calories I was putting in my body. I didn't pay attention to the calorie amount that MyFitnessPal gave to me; i weighed whatever i ate, wrote it down, then logged. Once I had a grasp of what kind of foods I was putting on my body (I wasn't getting as much fruits and vegetables in my diet. It was also very meat and starch heavy), i began to incorporate what i needed to and adjust to it slowly.
    While doing that I was trying to exercise as much as I could. I was doing some weight lifting and I would jog or run for cardio. I didn't log exercises as i didnt have anything that tracked the calories burned. I eventually bought a vivoactive 3 to help me with that.
    About three or four months after I did all that I started to follow Autumn Calabrese diet recommendation for 80 day obsession while doing 80 day obsession. I just completed day 48.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't find it difficult. I don't track so I just reduce portion sizes or cut down on snacks. I am always working out so that doesn't change.

Now gaining on purpose, that can get hard for me.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Counting calories can be time consuming, especially with meals with many, combined ingredients. This is true even when loading the recipe into mfp, when the database has ingredients with different measurement units, not mentioning the accuracy of some entries.

Exercising takes obviously takes time, as well. I love to take my three mile morning mountain hike/walk everyday for a multitude of reasons. And, most mornings, I usually think that I don’t want to. This thought is often followed with a self-admonishment that I’m retired and I have the time and with me, impressing upon myself, that I need to do this.

The level of difficulty or amount of time something takes can be overcome with goals that are important to you enough for you to be willing to work towards them.