Protein powder vs baby formula

2»

Replies

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I needed more protein in my diet so I use the below shake as creamer in my coffee and then finish the rest of the shake when done with my coffee

eio15ggrs5ko.png

They are NOT DAIRY FREE. It comes from WHEY. I absolutely detest this brand as a supplement retailer for misleading people.

There are a lot of new plant proteins that really have stepped up in taste. Which ones did you try?

Non-dairy does not, and was never meant to, indicate that something was dairy-free. It's more designed to protect people from buying milklike products and thinking they are getting dairy. In other words it was originally supposed to be put on things that people might otherwise mistakenly think are good sources of the nutrients found in dairy. Although companies are no longer required to use it in this way, many still do.

This is from the FDA in 2019: "We do not have a definition for the term [nondairy] in our regulations for food labeling. However, we do not consider the terms “nondairy” and “dairy free” to be equivalent. We have interpreted the term “dairy free” as meaning the complete absence of all dairy ingredients including lactose, etc. The term “nondairy” refers to products, such as nondairy whipped topping and nondairy creamers, that may contain a caseinate milk derivative."

It can be confusing for those of us who are actually seeking dairy-free products, but this is far from the only brand that labels in this way. If you'll note that package, it does call out on the from that it contains milk proteins -- which is more than most brands using non-dairy tend to do.

YES! There are "plant based" generic products with casein in it or other milk derivatives. Either way the average person would not know this.
  • boughtandsetfree
    boughtandsetfree Posts: 3 Member
    I love kachava! My friend gave me KOS it was alright. I also have a plain Plantbased protein powder of pea, soy,rice, I mix cocoa powder, vanilla extract, salt, and sweetener. I think it's a tasty cheap alternative as well.
  • bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Isa_Bbott wrote: »
    Does anyone actually like drinking plant based protein powder, or does everyone who buys it choke it down the way I do: As fast as you can?

I dissolve it in my coffee, (the chocolate powder) and it takes pretty good.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    Isa_Bbott wrote: »
    Does anyone actually like drinking plant based protein powder, or does everyone who buys it choke it down the way I do: As fast as you can?

It depends on the brand. I like livwell, orgain, and optimum nutrition powders. I can tolerate vega. Most of the rest i've tried aren't to my taste preferences.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited August 2020
    LOL I thought this was going to be someone asking if there was a difference between protein powder and baby formula because they like baby formula better and have been drinking it in place of.

But I would never "choke down" anything that I didn't like and waste calories like that. If you don't like it, don't drink it.

If you really NEED to have protein powder, OWYN is by far the best tasting vegan protein powder I've had. I've tried pretty much every single vegan brand. I love the dark chocolate, mocha, and strawberry banana.