Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How a vegan diet could affect your intelligence

2»

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2020
    One of the main keys to both nutrition and brain health is the production of SCFAs in the intestinal tract. They help to not only produce essential nutrients and metabolites, but they also ensure what you do take in to your mouth gets optimized. Just read an Italian study this morning. Let's just say it was high on a plant based diet and not so high on the traditional Western, meat eating, veggie lacking diet.

It's becoming ever increasingly clear that if you eat the Western Diet, take a lot of antibiotics, don't exercise, drink a lot (and this describes, unfortunately, more than 50% of Americans), your brain will pretty much turn to mush in your older years.

Vegan or non-vegan -- eat your veggies, exercise and get your fiber. Use your brain and get plenty of rest and limit stress as much as possible. I honestly wish I had the courage/mental ability to eat vegan. I wouldn't be worried whatsoever about my brain if I did.

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/3/597