I can't believe I got kicked off an app!

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2020
    Options
    hrichts wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    Hey, I like Trader Joes!

But, god, they really are very thin skinned on the Nextdoor app. And busy bodies. And EVERYONE'S suspicious.

@hrichts It has something to do with being a community and being able to trust your neighbors? Like if you know their name, they can't screw you over? *eyeroll*

You also are supposed to disclose your general location. Both are there for all to see and I don't think you can disable that.

How have I never heard of this app before?

Could I use it to borrow a cup of sugar from my neighbors without having to actually talk at them?

only if you want to be called a communist. That seems to be the number one come back in our area.

A friend got into a discussion about fireworks, she was told her dog is a communist because he is scared of fireworks :lol: From what I hear it is definitely full of crazies!
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    Hey, I like Trader Joes!

But, god, they really are very thin skinned on the Nextdoor app. And busy bodies. And EVERYONE'S suspicious.

@hrichts It has something to do with being a community and being able to trust your neighbors? Like if you know their name, they can't screw you over? *eyeroll*

You also are supposed to disclose your general location. Both are there for all to see and I don't think you can disable that.

How have I never heard of this app before?

Could I use it to borrow a cup of sugar from my neighbors without having to actually talk at them?

only if you want to be called a communist. That seems to be the number one come back in our area.

A friend got into a discussion about fireworks, she was told her dog is a communist because he is scared of fireworks :lol: From what I hear it is definitely full of crazies!

If you ever wanted to know which of your neighbors is the bat*kitten* neighbor, Nextdoor is the place to find out.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    i've heard of the app but never really looked into it. on paper it sounds like itd be a great way to stay aware of things going on, but in practice it sounds like its just another facebook mommy group?

the only real question i'd have is- do they actually show the number of and names of active users in your area before you sign up and commit to giving your information to them?
    if not then i'd assume its all just another data harvesting operation.

basically its a joke if you sign up thinking its a great idea, then you give them all your info, only to find out literally nobody around you uses it
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I don't even know why. But she called me vile and disgusting.

You haven't been doing naked aerobics in front of the bay windows, have you? Because that's one of the reasons my neighbours call me vile and disgusting.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

I know my neighbour's name and that he's a drug dealer. Yeah, no trust there.

I think the intent of the app is to share info about neighbourhood things like lost pets and giving away free stuff, or people who need help with home/yard maintenance. I ended up joining a few months ago and so far it's been fairly benign, not Facebookish at all, mostly info about break-in trends and a lot of angst about pinholes in water pipes (??). But it sure generates a lot of email notifications about "messages" from my neighbours so I might get rid of it.
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    I don't even know why. But she called me vile and disgusting.

You haven't been doing naked aerobics in front of the bay windows, have you? Because that's one of the reasons my neighbours call me vile and disgusting.

Naked aerobics is code for “trying to put on freshly washed skinny jeans” in my house. So many lunges
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Not this one. That Nextdoor one. Because I didn't use my real name and this unhinged...uh...woman reported me because...I don't even know why. But she called me vile and disgusting.

I'm pretty insulted, actually. I've never been banned from anywhere on the internet before!

Never been banned anywhere, but I got some sort of demerit on this MFP app when I first started, for correcting somebody's spelling. So now I ignore all the misspelt words and grammatical gaffes so I don't get penalized for other people's illiteracy.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use Nextdoor all the time and I changed my last name so it's a variant of my real one because there are some crazy-a$$ed people on that site.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I use Nextdoor all the time and I changed my last name so it's a variant of my real one because there are some crazy-a$$ed people on that site.

...... thankfully, there's no crazy-a$$ed people here.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Not this one. That Nextdoor one. Because I didn't use my real name and this unhinged...uh...woman reported me because...I don't even know why. But she called me vile and disgusting.

I'm pretty insulted, actually. I've never been banned from anywhere on the internet before!

Never been banned anywhere]

jeez... I've been placed on double-secret probation more times than I can count.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    It is actually insane though, I’m not kidding about that. What is NextDoor anyway?

From what I've heard, NextDoor is sort of an online Neighbourhood Watch and social network program. Makes sense to know the real names of your neighbours if you're getting involved in a community effort like this.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It is actually insane though, I’m not kidding about that. What is NextDoor anyway?

From what I've heard, NextDoor is sort of an online Neighbourhood Watch and social network program. Makes sense to know the real names of your neighbours if you're getting involved in a community effort like this.

It's a very helpful website where you can post on neighborhood boards. It's good for nosy, busy-bodies or people who just want to know what's going on around the neighborhood.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,595 Member
    Options

It's a very helpful website where you can post on neighborhood boards. It's good for nosy, busy-bodies or people who just want to know what's going on around the neighborhood.

LOL it really is good for knowing what's going on around the neighborhood.

My problem with the name thing was I used my sarcastic, no way do I use my real name online name instead of a made up, sounds legit name.
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options

My problem with the name thing was I used my sarcastic, no way do I use my real name online name instead of a made up, sounds legit name.

Best way to use a fake name imo
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Best way to use a fake name imo

I always use: Benjamin Dover
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't think I was a good fit (being sorta sociable wise).

Oh and that *kitten* chick also said I was a bully and that I've always said strange stuff and she didn't understand my pig latin. Not that I spoke pig latin. Just she...maybe didn't get my humor?

Example! :)

There was a thread about a woman coming home and finding a couple guys in the driveway...uh...going to the bathroom...and she was scared and (of course) suspicious. She took a pic of their car and them and everyone is "call the police" and "drive away" and I'm like, "It's not like they can hurt you. They have their hands full! Hopefully! :))

should've told her she a was dirty communist for good measure