Squats - the bar hurts my shoulders

Options
That barbell is really starting to hurt my shoulders. They have a pad at the gym, which I use, but it's old and worn out in the middle (I asked them to get a new one - hopefully they will, and hopefully that will help). But - even with that pad, I'm having a hard time supporting the bar on my shoulders because it hurts. I pull my shoulder blades together to try to give the bar a nice "shelf" to sit on, but it is still just so heavy on my shoulders and it hurts. I'm still adding weight slowly (currently, I'm up to 110 lbs), but I always wonder if my shoulders will be able to continue supporting the weight as I add more.

Is this kind of like grip strength - that my shoulders will get better at supporting the weight as I increase it? Or is there something else that I should be doing?

Replies

• andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Mine always hurt the following day so I'm really interested to hear any ideas!
  • SophRW
    SophRW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use a beach towel folded over a couple times.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Before pads....they rolled and duct taped towels.
    Have you acomplished where you are by being a sissy? Suck it up Buttercups! You can do it!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    bump to see replies
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    When I used to workout in college, I developed a bum shoulder which made it difficult to use a bar for squats or bench press. Have you thought about using dumbbells? Not sure if the weight of each dumbbell would be too much for you...
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    Your shoulders should get more use to it as you lift more? It takes a bit of time for your shoulders to get used to the weight on it. The pad definitely helps. Also make sure that you are not resting the bar on your upper shoulders/neck area as this causes more pain. By shrugging up a bit the weight gets distributed to the outer parts of your shoulders. You can use dumbells as well but then you will have the same problem with your hands gripping large weight.
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Are you definitely putting the bar on the right part of your shoulders? It shouldn't be directly on your shoulders. When you use the bar your elbows should go as far back and up as possible which creates a 'shelf' at the very top of you back, this is where you place the bar. (I learned in detail how to use a squat rack when i did my gym instruction)

Hope that helps the problem.

Katie
    xx
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    if it is too uncomfortable try squatting with two dumbells held just above your chest, pay close attention to your form.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any shoulder/back excersises?
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    not a professional just sharing my encounter(s) at gym training, even with the pad the bar can still hurt your shoulders and bone in the back of your neck, for the ladies that trained with me i would bring an extra towel to wrap around the bar along with the pad to make sure it's not resting directly on their shoulders, also i had to make sure their hand grip was close enough that the weight was not resting directly on their necks, made sure they were not bouncing or jerking slow controlled movements because the slightest "bump" space between the bar and your shoulders/neck can become painful.. you are doing squats so technically the catch weight shouldn't be on your neck/shoulders .. for the ladies that couldn't do it for whatever reason we incorporated the squat press (which was safer) and than there are many different variations of leg routines with dumbbells that you can do, i made the switch with quite a few and they have enjoyed the results.. just in my experience
  • nessajk
    Options
    My husband, who is in incredibly good shape, was told by his physical therapist that he shouldn't do that move anymore. It is apparently too hard on both the shoulders and the back. Instead, she told him to squat with weights by his side for the same effect without the shoulder and back injury risk/pain. I think she also said that using a hip sled was a good option, too, though that isn't free weights.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I dont' think dumbells will work because they aren't heavy enough (and the ones that are heavy enough, I wouldn't be able to lift/hold correctly). I'm squatting 110# right now and have all intentions of increasing that.

I haven't paid much attention to wear my hands and elbows are - I'll pay attention to that tomorrow. And maybe I'll look up some videos and watch for that specifically. I do try to squeeze my shoulder blades together to make that shelf, but I'll try to pay attention for "shrugging" and where my elbows are.

I do other things, like forward and reverse lunges (with 20 lb dumbells right now - about to move up to 25), step ups (currently with barbell loaded to 65#) and ham curls with a ball, etc., so I know there are other options, but I really LOVE the squat rack - it's my favorite piece of excercise equipment - and I just don't want to give up my squats and deadlifts :-) The other thing about the squat is that it's more of a full body excercise - in addition to my lower body, it's also strengthening my upper body - it's seriously my favorite excercise :-)

I do back excercises too - specifically the lat pull down, a bent over row, a seated cable row. And I do lots of shoulder work also.

I have used the towel on top of the pad before (mostly because I'm sweaty though), but I'll try that again to see if it helps with this too.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Here's a video that might help you. The ladies are lifting HEAVY and they aren't using a pad or towel of any kind. Their elbows are pulled way back and the bar is resting on the "shelf" created by the back and shoulder blades, not the shoulders themselves. Good luck and don't risk injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEkpST0vSbg
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I bet it's a matter of positioning/form/getting used to it. I'd stick with it. I remember the bar hurting my back (like the surface of my back, not muscle/body protesting pain) and then, suddenly, it didn't hurt.

Squats are worth the trouble of finding the way your body likes to do them, for sure.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    That barbell is really starting to hurt my shoulders. They have a pad at the gym, which I use, but it's old and worn out in the middle (I asked them to get a new one - hopefully they will, and hopefully that will help). But - even with that pad, I'm having a hard time supporting the bar on my shoulders because it hurts. I pull my shoulder blades together to try to give the bar a nice "shelf" to sit on, but it is still just so heavy on my shoulders and it hurts. I'm still adding weight slowly (currently, I'm up to 110 lbs), but I always wonder if my shoulders will be able to continue supporting the weight as I add more.

Is this kind of like grip strength - that my shoulders will get better at supporting the weight as I increase it? Or is there something else that I should be doing?

The back squat is a great leg and full body exercise, gratz for stepping forward and doing it. Secondly, there is no replacement for this movement. Not holding dumbbells at your side, not a leg press, nothing. The closest thing would be deadlifting with a Trap Bar.

This movement is uncomfortable for sure but worth it. Here's an exercept from Jim Wendler on Squat Form, which is applicable for your issue.

Proper bar placement depends on your body type and what’s most comfortable to you. Some people have shoulder problems and can’t carry the bar very low. Others just plain suck at high bar squatting. Place the bar where it allows you to reach depth with good form. It’s just that easy.
    • I like taking a full grip on the bar, but I used a “thumbs-around” grip for the first half of my squatting life. I don’t see this as a deal-breaker.
    • Keep your elbows down and try to force them under the bar. This will cause your hips to drive first out of the bottom of the squat. It’ll also keep your chest high and prevent you from squatting with your legs first instead of your back. The first thing to shoot up with many people is their *kitten*. Remedy this by pushing with your hips and keeping your elbows under the bar – or at least trying to.
    • Arch your upper back hard for the entire lift. This will cause your lower back to arch, too.
    • Grip the bar with the narrowest grip you can manage without hurting your shoulders. This will ensure that you remain tight throughout the lift.

Also, checkout YouTube for "So You Think You Can Squat" for any additional pointers that might help you. Lastly, just go to ****'s Sporting Goods, or any other Sporting Good store and get your own pad. ;)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Read my reply and I definitely forgot something. Try doing some upper back exercises and definitely do shoulder shrugs to help strengthen your Traps which will help support the bar.
  • soloral
    Options
    The bar should not be on your shoulder, it should be placed more on the back then the shoulder
  • tolygal
    Options
    Here's a video that might help you. The ladies are lifting HEAVY and they aren't using a pad or towel of any kind. Their elbows are pulled way back and the bar is resting on the "shelf" created by the back and shoulder blades, not the shoulders themselves. Good luck and don't risk injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEkpST0vSbg

OK, I watched the video, and I think it looks like how I hold the bar (I know I say 'shoulders' but I think I should be saying 'back' instead). I'm going to pay closer attention tomorrow to make sure, but the bar isn't really riding on my shoulders (I don't think) - I think it's sitting on the "shelf" I make when I squeeze my shoulder blades together (which is probably why I call it my shoulders LOL). Anyway - I'm going to double check my form tomorrow. I notice none of those girls use a pad or a towel - all I can think is OUCH!!! I wish I had a spotter. I'm always afraid to go too heavy in case I can't get back up...
  • tolygal
    Options
    The back squat is a great leg and full body exercise, gratz for stepping forward and doing it. Secondly, there is no replacement for this movement. Not holding dumbbells at your side, not a leg press, nothing. The closest thing would be deadlifting with a Trap Bar.

This movement is uncomfortable for sure but worth it. Here's an exercept from Jim Wendler on Squat Form, which is applicable for your issue.

Proper bar placement depends on your body type and what’s most comfortable to you. Some people have shoulder problems and can’t carry the bar very low. Others just plain suck at high bar squatting. Place the bar where it allows you to reach depth with good form. It’s just that easy.
    • I like taking a full grip on the bar, but I used a “thumbs-around” grip for the first half of my squatting life. I don’t see this as a deal-breaker.
    • Keep your elbows down and try to force them under the bar. This will cause your hips to drive first out of the bottom of the squat. It’ll also keep your chest high and prevent you from squatting with your legs first instead of your back. The first thing to shoot up with many people is their *kitten*. Remedy this by pushing with your hips and keeping your elbows under the bar – or at least trying to.
    • Arch your upper back hard for the entire lift. This will cause your lower back to arch, too.
    • Grip the bar with the narrowest grip you can manage without hurting your shoulders. This will ensure that you remain tight throughout the lift.

Also, checkout YouTube for "So You Think You Can Squat" for any additional pointers that might help you. Lastly, just go to ****'s Sporting Goods, or any other Sporting Good store and get your own pad. ;)

Thanks - I printed that off to take with me tomorrow. Good idea to get my own pad. The one at the gym always seems nasty with other people's sweat anyway (*gag*).

I do lots of upper back and shoulder work, but I haven't ever done shoulder shrugs. I'll consider adding some of that in. I'm a little concerned about my upper traps looking too big for a girl though (the part up by my neck - am I saying that right - upper traps?)...
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    OK, I watched the video, and I think it looks like how I hold the bar (I know I say 'shoulders' but I think I should be saying 'back' instead). I'm going to pay closer attention tomorrow to make sure, but the bar isn't really riding on my shoulders (I don't think) - I think it's sitting on the "shelf" I make when I squeeze my shoulder blades together (which is probably why I call it my shoulders LOL. Anyway - I'm going to double check my form tomorrow. I notice none of those girls use a pad or a towel - all I can think is OUCH!!! I wish I had a spotter. I'm always afraid to go too heavy in case I can't get back up...

I love squats and deadlifts too! It took me a while to get used to the weight, and sometimes I use the rolled up towel trick, but recently I've managed without it.

As far as being afraid of not getting back up without a spotter: I always make sure that the safety bars are in place on the sides of the squat rack. The other day I couldn't get back up and (after going a mild moment of panic) simply lowered the barbell to the safety bars, no problems.