60 yrs and up

Replies

• veggiepat
    veggiepat Posts: 127 Member
    @tnh2o Great job! That is awesome!

Working on doing zumba throughout the day. lol I have a hard sticking with it all at once. And also learning how to eat for nutrition and not a lot of fun foods. Yay!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)veggiepat, One of my best decisions was to stop using food as entertainment. I gave up cookie baking as a hobby, stopped meeting friends for a meal and meat them instead for a walk, and eat the same simple meals day after day. I find other ways to entertain myself.
    <3 Barbie in NW WA
  • veggiepat
    veggiepat Posts: 127 Member
    @barbiecat Thank you you Barbie for the great inspiration! Yes, I am slowly learning to entertain myself in other ways. You are awesome! <3
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Welcome to all the new folks here! 👋

Today was six days in a row with my "true weight" (rolling average) below 190. Just barely below, but I'll take it. Feels good. Now to stay there long term. Thanks to all of you for your inspiration and for sharing your struggles. Good to know I am not alone.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    Happy Sunday! Been a lazy in so far. Need to get my butt in gear and get my steps before dinner. Hope y’all are having a great day! 😄
  • barbiecat
    B) much too hot for me today. Did walking before lunch and am now hiding in the air conditioned house. Our heat pump is one of the best purchases we've ever made. Now I'm riding my exercise bike and watching TV.
    <3 Barbie in NW WA
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 228 Member
    Hi, I'm 61. I have been a member of MFP for several years but never tracked more than a few days, never took it seriously. About 10 years ago I lost 5 pounds on WW. I gradually put about 1/2 of it back on. My goal is to take off what I lost and evaluate from there. I will still be overweight, but not obese. I was comfortable at that weight. I am concerned about developing health issues that go along with being overweight and have decided to get serious.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    1poundatax wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 61. I have been a member of MFP for several years but never tracked more than a few days, never took it seriously. About 10 years ago I lost 5 pounds on WW. I gradually put about 1/2 of it back on. My goal is to take off what I lost and evaluate from there. I will still be overweight, but not obese. I was comfortable at that weight. I am concerned about developing health issues that go along with being overweight and have decided to get serious.

You can do it add friends to support you
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 228 Member
    My comment above should have said about 10 years ago I lost 65 lbs. on WW- not 5. I am looking forward to this journey and the sense of accomplishment I know I will have as I make progress.
  • BobWillers
    BobWillers Posts: 33 Member
    Engaging the core is working the muscles in the torso. The abdominal and obliques and the lower back muscles. The muscles you use to hold your torso rigid when doing planks and pushups and such.
    Yeeeup....that's just as I thought..... Obliques? abdominal? planks? that's an alien language to me and best avoided :)
  • barbiecat
    :) Just got home from my early morning walk with the dogs. The young dog wants to go home after about 30 minutes, my friend about 30 minutes after that. Then Sasha, the poodle, and I walk for about 45 minutes. She likes to sniff things and I like to listen to a podcast. It's a great way to start the day.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • annliz23
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Just got home from my early morning walk with the dogs. The young dog wants to go home after about 30 minutes, my friend about 30 minutes after that. Then Sasha, the poodle, and I walk for about 45 minutes. She likes to sniff things and I like to listen to a podcast. It's a great way to start the day.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Sounds good
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 155 Member
    edited August 2020
    @BobWillers Swimming will strengthen your core without learning an alien language. But you do need good swimming technique. and find somewhere to swim.
  • MiaBella444
    MiaBella444 Posts: 39 Member
    Looking for 60 and up who are not only counting calories but looking to cut sodium to share ideas and foods with because of hypertension. Would also love ideas or tips for dealing with arthritis, a newly discovered sciatica problem and lifelong thyroid disease and removal of. Made a wonderful new acquaintance with "veggiepat" and thinking there is strength in numbers. Male or female. Add me. I would love input!
  • annliz23
    Looking for 60 and up who are not only counting calories but looking to cut sodium to share ideas and foods with because of hypertension. Would also love ideas or tips for dealing with arthritis, a newly discovered sciatica problem and lifelong thyroid disease and removal of. Made a wonderful new acquaintance with "veggiepat" and thinking there is strength in numbers. Male or female. Add me. I would love input!

We take turmeric tablets and glucosamine and chondroitin for our arthritis they seem to work for us. I also have sciatica sometimes I try doing leg exercises to help, if you look on you tube there are lots of stretches to help.Good luck add me if you want.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member

Just in case you haven't run across it yet, there was a great post/thread about hypothyroidism started by a guy who is a scientist in the field, hypothyroid himself besides (I think his was removed, too, IIRC), and who also lost weight using MFP. It's packed with scientifically sound info, presented in a novice-friendly way, about hypothyroidism and weight loss. Worth a read by anyone who's hypo, if you haven't previously stumbled over it.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management/

I'm also hypo. I have some osteoarthritis, but truly minor. I don't take some of the standard supplements for it (glucosamin/chondroitin for example) because I'm also a long-term vegetarian. Just staying active (especially staying flexible through stretching, yoga, etc.) has been helpful for me, the pain reduction from weight loss was huge, and I find self-massage techniques (foam rolling, lacrosse ball, etc.) helpful at times as well.

My hypertension (right on the edge of prehypertension/hypertension per the definitions at the time) went away, by getting to a healthy weight. I know that's not sufficient for some with a more genetically-based predisposition, but weight loss along improved a lot of things for me, and that was one.

Welcome!
  • kroywrn2
    kroywrn2 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi
    I’m new to this group. Gained the COVID 15 while quarantined. That was on top of the winter weight I put on. Decided to go back to Dukan. Finished the 6 day attack down 7 pounds. Now I’m on Cruise until I lose the rest. Anyone else following this plan?
  • MiaBella444
    MiaBella444 Posts: 39 Member
    edited August 2020
    Thank you so much for this info. I appreciate it all. I was considering Yoga or Tai Chi.

• trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    kroywrn2 wrote: »
    Hi
    I’m new to this group. Gained the COVID 15 while quarantined. That was on top of the winter weight I put on. Decided to go back to Dukan. Finished the 6 day attack down 7 pounds. Now I’m on Cruise until I lose the rest. Anyone else following this plan?

I never heard of Dukan. Can you explain the program. Good luck on your journey and welcome🙌👋
  • barbiecat
    :) I am not terribly in need of limiting sodium but the first thing I was to almost completely eliminate sauces, dressings, and a lot of condiments. They add a lot of sodium with no noticeable nutrition. If you keep track of sodium on your food diary, you'll notice the sodium and the calories in sauces and dressings.

<3 Barbie