Strength training, how long?

Options
sakurablossoms82
sakurablossoms82 Posts: 62 Member
edited August 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
I read everywhere that you should only do a strength training 2-3 times a week. But I wonder how long can those work outs be per session/day. Like today I did a full body strength training of 18 minutes, I'm also in the middle of a booty challenge which took me 10 minutes today. And I was in debate if I should do one for my arms but decided not too as I wasn't sure if that was too much or not? And is it okay to do let's say a 10 minute lower body strength training and a 4 minute Tabata for the lower body?

Extra note: I'm a beginner, do work outs from Youtube, and for my strength training I sometimes use 1KG dumbbells.

Replies

• sakurablossoms82
    Options
    At the moment I'm trying to loose weight so next to cardio I'm doing some simple strength training to prevent I'm loosing to much muscle mass when losing weight. And yes I know muscle weighs more then fat.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I workout a lot with weights doing cardio anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour at least twice a week and throw in intense cardio like plyo once a week and then strength training total body, and normal bodyweight cardio. I am not afraid of weights I just have to stretch my muscles and be mindful of not pulling something.

I think you are confusing body building training with simple weight training
  • playhardkf2017
    playhardkf2017 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm trying to loose weight so next to cardio I'm doing some simple strength training to prevent I'm loosing to much muscle mass when losing weight. And yes I know muscle weighs more then fat.
    Doing a combination of cardio and strength can be good. Also, muscle doesn’t weigh more than fat. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. Muscle just takes up less space in the body than a pound of fat.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest investing in some adjustable dumbbells - I love mine, I started off with 2-5kg and I'm now up to mostly 8-13kg per hand (at 159cm and 57kg), nothing wrong with *starting* light but you'll want to add more weight to see any kinda change in shape/strength
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Yes, 2x per week is the standard and current suggested exposure to resistance training by the ACSM.

I feel that we could and should go beyond that guideline as there is evidence suggesting there is more health benefits than previously known.

My suggestion is three exposures a week.

How long for each exposure really is individualized relative to adaptations and goal. If you are progressing, than you are getting "enough" for your goal. The question lies if your goal is sufficient for benefits.

Also splitting up your training is reasonable if it promotes adhearance.
  • sakurablossoms82
    Options
    Yes I'm planning on buying more heavy dumbbells. I just had the ones I currently use laying around the house so I started using them. I plan to get more heavier ones soon because indeed they are a bit too light but better then nothing.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Most of your questions can be answered with ....'it depends'.
    You really need to decide what you want to accomplish and find a plan that best suits that. Anytime in the gym pays off but you can reach your goals so much faster with proper advice and a plan that matches your goals, and ability to meet those goals. Learning about weights, and the different ways to use them to match your goal is important and I would definitely advise you to do that.
    Good luck
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm planning on buying more heavy dumbbells. I just had the ones I currently use laying around the house so I started using them. I plan to get more heavier ones soon because indeed they are a bit too light but better then nothing.

Do you have any other heavy items in the house that would fit your hand or have handles? Milk jugs, big soda bottles, heavy books? It doesn't have to be specifically made as fitness equipment to work as such.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I do 4 times a week with an upper/lower split so that each muscle group gets worked 2x a week. I do compound exercises only and a workout takes me 45 min to 1hr. I am trying to lose weight and build muscle. I have adjustable dumbbells and a full basement gym, so I’m pretty spoiled by what I can accomplish WITHOUT leaving my house lol

So, it depends on your goals as to what you should do. Something is better than nothing, but 10-18 min a day, you probably won’t see any results.
  • sakurablossoms82
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I normally work out 30 to 60 minutes a day... I just finished 40 minutes of Chloe Ting work outs and did a booty work out this morning as well. I do have bottles of soda but I have rather small hands so the bottles are a bit to big to train with. I found adjustable dumbbells which can be adjusted to 10KG.. maybe those are good to start with. Need to start saving money to buy them because those dumbbells are a bit more expensive but in the end it's a lot cheaper then buying 2, 3, 5 kg dumbbells. so I guess it's worth the investment.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    kblanc14 wrote: »
    Doing a combination of cardio and strength can be good. Also, muscle doesn’t weigh more than fat. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. Muscle just takes up less space in the body than a pound of fat.

Yes, but muscle is more dense. So a 2x2 square of muscle would weigh more than a 2x2 square of fat.