Hi. New and I don't fully understand how to do this diet

Options
Hi. I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. For about month I quit carbs and sugar. Upped my fat intake. I do not understand the whole micro thing and how the keto diet works exactly. I am here to learn more.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Not a diabetic, but from everything I have read here -most diabetics manage carb intake, not try to eliminate them completely. Can you get an appointment with a registered dietician? Someone with medical expertise should be helping you through this.

Keto is simply a very low carb diet to lose weight. It works like any diet, by helping you reduce calorie intake. If eating very high fat appeals to you, and you can see yourself eating this way for many years to come, that's great. But extreme low carb isn't necessary for most people.

Join a low carb group here (there are several). https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/7-ways-to-better-manage-diabetes-with-myfitnesspal/#:~:text= 7 Ways to Better Manage Diabetes with,feature within MyFitnessPal is the ability... More

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    This site is not a Keto site, nor is it a diet site. It's a tool you can use to track your calories, as well as carbs, fat, etc.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    You might also want to get a referral to an internist instead of a general doctor. Internists specialize in diabetes and are more current on treatments and medications. I also agree with above poster that you need to see a dietician and learn how to count carbs. You can look up diabetic diets on the internet and will see that they all have a steady amount of carbs and protein with each meal. This is to encourage level blood sugars throughout the day. Exercise will also be part of your daily life and needs to be accounted for in your diet. If your doctor just prescribed a pill or told you to watch your diet they are doing you a disservice. Diabetes is a metabolic disorder and affects every organ in your body. I am a former diabetic(kidney/pancreas transplant) with extensive damage from diabetes.