What's more important: Nutrition or Gym?

Options
Hey all,
I'm going on vacation this week and I'm doing some mental gymnastics. I'm not able to go to the gym this week as I have to prepare for my trip after work and leave in a few days. However, I'm still counting my calories and staying in my goals without my exercise calories. I guess I have two questions
1) In scenarios where I'm unable to go to the gym, is that bad if I'm still watching my food intake?
2) Since I'm going to be on vacation, I know I'm not going to be able to cook/prepare my own meals and definitely will be drinking. How can I best stay within my goals, but still have fun during vacation. I'm not saying I'm going to do something like drink a whole 12 pack and 3 pizzas a day, but it will be outside the norm of my regular eating.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Weight loss is caused by being in a calorie deficit. It's not going to hurt you if you have to miss the gym. Have a blast enjoy yourself. Keep an eye on your calories if you want. If you see a scale jump it'll probably be from an increase in sodium.
  • seashells1957
    seashells1957 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just finished an hour long discussion with my nutrition counselor and she raised this very question. She informed that studies credit exercise with a 20% impact, nutrition plays the larger part. Alcohol is all sugar/carbs, plan to balance it by selecting a meal that highlights the proteins and good fats during the days around it. In other words, get the steak or fish -not a salad or potato.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    In normal times, people often report they get in a lot of extra walking during vacation. They say their scale was up initially when they first get back, but a lot of it goes away after a week or so, especially if they had traveled by plane.

In these times though, it's hard for me to imagine a vacation...

Going to Home Depot today could have been a mini vacation, lol, but quite a few of the employees were wearing their masks under their noses >.<
  • CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is 80% impact to your weight. Also consider this, a large McDonald french fry is around 500 calories. It would take 45 mins to 1 hour killing yourself on a treadmill to burn 500 cals. It's too easy to consume and too hard to burn. I also believe that exercise is for gaining weight (muscle) not losing. But this is another topic that I'd probably get flamed for.

Making small, wise compromises goes a long way;
    - Light beer (Michelob Ultra)
    - No fruit drinks
    - Watch bread and potato intake
    - Watch desert intake
    - Most importantly, completely load up on the healthy foods (good fats and protein)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    1) In scenarios where I'm unable to go to the gym, is that bad if I'm still watching my food intake?
    "Bad" for what?
    For fat loss it shoud be neutral if you are using this site as intended, for weight loss if you have some retained soreness (water retention) you might see a drop on the scales out of line with your calorie balance.
    For fitness/strength you might see a small decline but that could be compensated for in reduced fatigue and improved freshness - for a short period it's again pretty neutral and you catch up again very quickly.
    (It can be actually be positive if you are coming off an intense training block.)

2) Since I'm going to be on vacation, I know I'm not going to be able to cook/prepare my own meals and definitely will be drinking. How can I best stay within my goals, but still have fun during vacation. I'm not saying I'm going to do something like drink a whole 12 pack and 3 pizzas a day, but it will be outside the norm of my regular eating.
    Are your everyday goals actually appropriate for allowing yourself to enjoy your vacation? If they aren't you should think about creating some vacation rules.
    Yes your food will be different and if you intend tracking calories a lot of guesswork will be involved. You should also enjoy all the food but that doesn't mean enjoying all the food at every mealtime!
    There's vast differences in calories in alcoholic drinks, a spirit with a diet mixer is going to far lower than a pina colada for breakfast. :wink:
    Yes your exercise/activity will be different - I like to explore on foot or on a bike and still use the gym on vacation because I enjoy it. You should also be doing things you enjoy - that's what vacations are for.

I fully expect to return home after vacation significantly heavier but at least half of any gain can be put down to saltier foods, sunshine and flying (water weight in other words).

PS - I hope you don't mind me saying your use of the word "bad" makes me wonder if you have developed a suitable long term view. Will a couple of weeks off plan / different plan have much significance in 6 months time?
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would go on holiday and enjoy yourself and get back to "normal" when you're home. In the long run, one week isn't going to make a huge difference. Yes, you can make better choices, like spirits with a low cal mixer instead of a fruit juice cocktail etc. I tend to take this view when I eat out (hence I don't do it very often). Yes, sometimes I will pick a low cal option, but sometimes there's nothing better than good old fish & chips now and again, as part of an overall balanced diet, it's ok.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    digidoomed wrote: »
    *snip*

No. Then again there are ways to exercise without a gym while on vacation. If you're in a resort, there will be facilities (perhaps at additional cost). If you're doing an "active vacation" then your location's terrain and environment will dictate activities (hiking or climbing if you're in the mountains, for example)
    digidoomed wrote: »

Fun is relative and does not necessarily include food or drink for everyone. I'm not a huge drinker so not sure I can be of any help to you here other than to suggest lower cal spirits and reduce the number of cocktails.

That said, have lots of fun and stay safe during your travels. Whatever happens nutrition/exercise wise, you can get back on track when you're back home anyway.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't think it's bad to watch your food intake without exercise. Me personally I if I can't workout I stop all deficit and increase calories to maintenance until I can hit the gym since I don't like risking any muscle loss, but it depends on your goals. Plus a few weeks off shouldn't make too much difference.

In terms of vacation I don't restrict my eating but I try not to go too crazy or I look like a bloated mess. I tend to have 3 meals and not to snack too much. I try to drink water after drinks, and get lots of walking in. You could always eat light for the day then pick one meal to really go all out for, or save alcohol for one meal or time of day. In the end try not to worry and you can get back to normal when you get back.

Enjoy!
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I think you're overthinking things. You're going on vacation. For a week! The age-old formula for dieters on vacation is to try to stay around maintenance calories if possible. Plus a few hundred calories flexibility per day for drinking, so that you don't wreck your vacation trying to live up to some caloric ideal you probably won't live up to anyway. Soon you'll be home and can work off the 1/2 lb you gained from slugging down 15 extra beers. Don't eat whole pizzas etc - that kind of overindulgence will add more than a 1/2 pound and you won't feel good about it later.

I don't see why not working out for a week would make any difference. Go for a walk if you want some exercise and don't have access to a gym. I always do 1-2 mile walks in the morning when I'm out of town, it helps.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    You've had a lot of excellent advice here, and I haven't much new to add. Basically, you WILL be moving, just in different ways (beach volleyball, riding a bike, running on the sand, etc, depending on where you're going). Watching the calories and particularly from alcohol will matter most for this brief period of time. Have fun!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    On vacation I place a couple of rules like making sure that I have a low calorie course before a high calorie one and to make sure I feel that all my high calorie options are "worth it" just to keep things reasonable and sensible. I do not mind gaining a little weight but I do not want to come back mad because I ate foolishly. If I follow my rules I can still enjoy my food but I should avoid eating at least 500 calories each day without any problem. Over the course of an entire week it means I saved myself gaining a pound only because I ate fruit before the pancake breakfast, a salad before the steak and potatoes, and threw away the doughnut because it was too old.

I also want to maintain my exercise habit so I usually do go to a gym early each morning. I skip the strength training and just do some cardio so I am not spending too much time. It is, after all, a vacation.

For weight loss my priority is ALWAYS on food first. I do not mind the extra calories I get but exercise is for fitness.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    My "trick" for indulging in restaurants, might be useful for you: I read through the menu, without focus on anything other than what I would like, and usually there are several options I like. Out of the tempting options I choose my order based on my goals, and usually end up with a satisfying meal that's more satisfying and nutritious and less calories than if I chose purely based on cravings or purely based on health.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Nutrition. I use a food scale and measuring cups to keep myself on track with portion sizes. I also eat slowly and stop eating when I feel around 80 percent full. Exercise comes second. I bike, swim, and stretch daily. And yes, I have occasional cheat days (I made brownies this weekend and ate at least one per day, so weight spiked up almost a pound. I am also one of those people who weighs every morning at the same time of day. I used to weigh 204 pounds and am now down to 155 with another 10 to 15 pounds to lose.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    My "trick" for indulging in restaurants, might be useful for you: I read through the menu, without focus on anything other than what I would like, and usually there are several options I like. Out of the tempting options I choose my order based on my goals, and usually end up with a satisfying meal that's more satisfying and nutritious and less calories than if I chose purely based on cravings or purely based on health.

And here I was thinking I'd come up with an original dieting idea LOL I always scan the menu and look for the 2-3 things I want the most, then I pick the one that's the best for my diet / healthiest. It's amazing how often this reroutes me from, say, a fried shrimp platter to a nice piece of salmon, and saves me 500-1000 calories with very little loss (if any) of satisfaction. And I certainly feel much better afterward, having made a reasonably healthy choice instead of throwing my diet to the wind for an hour.
  • AliciaHollywood
    AliciaHollywood Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I know people are saying don’t mix fruit juice with alcohol to get less calories, but in fact a small amount of 100% fruit juice (no sugar added) is actually much healthier than something like a Diet Coke mixer. If you think NUTRITION rather than calories, you should be OK. No empty carbs, if you get shrimp, great, but NOT fried or breaded. Stay away from all fried foods! Stick to salads with a light protein like chicken, shrimp or crab, and make sure the dressing is on the side, low cal and you just drizzle a little bit it on. Eat fish. Don’t have any heavy sauces or butter. Avoid red meat. Avoid unhealthy snack food like chips, eat salt free nuts instead (in moderation.) Eat small portions at restaurants. If you can, take half home to go, and have the rest for lunch the next day. Get the biggest bang for your calories, eating only the most nutritious food you can eat. BUT if you’re at a restaurant known for its specialty dessert, have a few tastes, just don’t eat the whole thing.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »

And here I was thinking I'd come up with an original dieting idea LOL I always scan the menu and look for the 2-3 things I want the most, then I pick the one that's the best for my diet / healthiest. It's amazing how often this reroutes me from, say, a fried shrimp platter to a nice piece of salmon, and saves me 500-1000 calories with very little loss (if any) of satisfaction. And I certainly feel much better afterward, having made a reasonably healthy choice instead of throwing my diet to the wind for an hour.

TBH if any of us came up with an original dieting idea, either the idea would be *kitten* or the person would be a billionaire ;)