What's more important: Nutrition or Gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• sakurablossoms82
    sakurablossoms82 Posts: 62 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    On vacation I usually don't gain weight but actually lose weight. While I do eat more because I want to try all the yummy food a country has to offer. But usually my vacations are quite active as in I walk a lot during sightseeing and other things.

The only holiday where I actually gained a bit was my 10 days in Creete as I was relaxing by the pool or beach a lot and didn't do a lot of more active things.

So if you plan to be active all day I wouldn't be worried about the calories to much as you will burn a lot anyway during your active days.
  • digidoomed
    digidoomed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of replies here, so I just want to say thank you to everyone's advice. I've mentioned before that I'm an avid over thinker, and I felt like I've been making better progress this time around as far as my eating and was worried about jeopardizing it. But everyone's right, I think I will just enjoy my vacation while making the best decisions in the moment. Overall I'm excited as I haven't gone on vacation with my friends in over a year
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Personally, when I go on vacation (or eat food prepared by someone other than me), I try to eat mindfully. Eat when hungry and stop eating when I feel satiated. That generally works for me but I have been really focused on knowing when my body is hungry and when it has had enough. It’s honestly a skill that took me some time to hone. When I get back to a place where I’m in full control, I get back to calorie counting. The two combined has really helped me on my journey. But it all depends on the individual. For me, this allows extra flexibility and less anxiety. But mindful eating is not for everyone and it does take some getting used to.

I would think of this time as a diet break, enjoy yourself while on vacation, and get back to business once home.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    This is a little bit like the chicken and egg debate.
    Personally, I think nutrition is more important.
    But I also think it depends on your goals.
    I also believe vacation is a time when we should all relax and enjoy life. I mean don’t go wild and eat an entire chocolate cake. When I go on vacation, I don’t worry about every bite and exercise when I can. When I get back home, i quickly move back into me routines.

Enjoy!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Diet is king. You can't maintain a healthy weight without proper diet. Good foods fuels.your body. I can tell a huge difference when I eat right.
  • deepsea117
    deepsea117 Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    digidoomed wrote: »
    1) In scenarios where I'm unable to go to the gym, is that bad if I'm still watching my food intake?
    Are you asking if it's bad not going to the gym, if you're still watching your intake?

No it's not. You just have to eat to match your activity level and you'll maintain your weight.

Figure out your estimated Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) and try keep your calories around there (mine is 2375 calories a day to maintain my weight.)
    2) Since I'm going to be on vacation, I know I'm not going to be able to cook/prepare my own meals and definitely will be drinking. How can I best stay within my goals, but still have fun during vacation. I'm not saying I'm going to do something like drink a whole 12 pack and 3 pizzas a day, but it will be outside the norm of my regular eating.

Be deliberate when and what you eat. I would plan where/what you want to eat FOR SURE the day before. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Like if there's a steak you have got to eat...then eat it! But understand that maybe the sides are just run-of-the-mill, and you won't miss too much by skipping it. Mashed potatoes are pretty much mashed potatoes wherever you go.

Maybe pack some snacks that can stave off being hungry for the first thing you see. Carry a Camelbak or some reservoir to drink. Sometimes, you're hungry because you're dehydrated. Where do you carry all this...?

😊 Rucking. Just walking with weight essentially, in a backpack. It's much better than walking, and more like jogging without the impact. Seeing as you're gonna be walking on vacation...carry all the things you and whomever else needs for the day in a backpack. Start off with maybe like 10 or 15 pounds. It really is good for strength, core, and cardio. Works your back And shoulders. And it will help your posture.

As for exercise: You can still do bodyweight exercises that will burn 100 calories in just 10 minutes. That's what I do everyday. They involve the legs so you burn more calories even when you're done.

Hope this helps!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    deepsea117 wrote: »
    1) In scenarios where I'm unable to go to the gym, is that bad if I'm still watching my food intake?

Figure out your estimated Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) and try keep your calories around there (mine is 2375 calories a day to maintain my weight.)

TDEE, not RMR.