I hate whole foods

Replies

• AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    What do you like to eat?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I like chicken and ground beef. I hate lettuce. I like bread. I get the impression that chicken and ground beef aren't considered whole foods.

You can lose weight eating chicken and ground beef. Most people would consider chicken whole food, I think; and ground beef isn't far from it, at most. People will differ on whether ground beef is a whole food.

But who cares? You can eat chicken, ground beef, and bread and still lose weight, as long as your calories are at the right level (and quite a range of levels will be OK, as long as at least slightly fewer calories than you burn, and enough that you don't lose weight so fast it's dangerous.

Which foods you eat is more for nutrition/health and so you feel full on fewer calories.

You personally get to decide which foods help you feel full. It's different for different people.

Nutrition means getting enough protein and fat, plus vitamins, minerals and some other stuff like that. Chicken and ground beef have protein, and fat, so good there.

Are there any vegetables or fruits you like? It's good to get a variety, but they don't need to be exotic, and it's fine to eat the kind that are steam-in-bag, for ease. Potatoes count, as one. (Especially good if you eat the skin.) Potato chips/fries tend to be high in fat so hard to fit into calorie goal in meaningful portions very often and still get good nutrition, but you can figure out whether they fit in for you. Do you like any others, like carrots, peas, tomatoes (even tomato sauce is fine), green beans, etc? Apples (even applesauce), bananas, oranges? It doesn't have to be fancy exotic stuff.

Lettuce is 100% optional. Most lettuce isn't super-duper high in nutrition, despite being a whole food. Yes, it has some nutrients (especially the vitamin/mineral stuff), but some people like it because they think it tastes good, is filling for them personally, and has hardly any calories.

Really, for weight loss, whole foods don't matter, unless you personally need some in order to feel full.

Even for nutrition and health, you don't have to eat entirely and only whole foods.

What? I thought to eat whole foods Aunt Granny we had to learn to use the suns energy directly as fuel?!?! lol ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    I've watched people on YouTube and read articles that say that the best way to loose weight is eating only whole foods.

For most people, getting to a healthy weight, and staying there, makes a far bigger improvement in their health (and future health risk) than does specific food choices.

I'm assuming you're not eating in some highly unusual, extremely non-nutritious way** right now. Just eat that, but less, to hit your calorie goal. If you log your food, watch your food diary and see what "costs" you more calories than the good you get out of it (taste, filling, etc.). Eat less of those things, more of something you like that fits better. That's all there is to it.

Honestly, there are people on YouTube saying all kinds of nutty things (flat earthers, and whatnot). Ignore them.

Now, I'm not saying the "eat whole foods" people are the same as flat earthers. It's fine and can be very healthy to eat all whole foods, as long as the foods add up to good overall nutrition. (It's possible to eat all whole foods and still have an unhealthy overall diet, BTW.) But it's not even remotely necessary to eat whole foods and nothing else in order to have a reasonably healthy diet.

And it's 100% not necessary to eat whole foods in order to lose weight. You could lose weight eating nothing but spoonfuls of white sugar, as long as added up to fewer calories than you're burning. Something tells me you don't want to do that anyway. It certainly wouldn't be a a good idea for nutrition or health, and you'd probably be profoundly hungry all the time . . . but if you stuck to it, you'd lose weight, at least until malnutrition kicked in enough to make you sick (which it would eventually, if you ate *only* sugar . . . which I'm sure you won't).

** For example, there was a fad YouTuber pushing eating pretty much only bananas (which *are* a whole food). That's not good nutrition. If you eat in an average sort of way now, and haven't had major nutritional deficiencies, it's fine to keep eating those things, just fewer calories.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    You can’t really eat “anything you want” within the boundaries you mention and be as healthy as you could be. There is hidden extra nutrition in so many common “superfoods.” Eating 100 calories of a hamburger bun and a multi-vitamin vs 100 calories of blueberries is a very different thing. Blueberries, one of the healthiest foods you can eat (preferably organic) supply all sorts of micronutrients and antioxidants that you can’t get even in vitamin supplements. Food can be medicine supplying you with cancer and disease fighting nutrients, help your skin and hair and have so many wonderful benefits. I spend a lot of time googling food nutrition and focus on eating the most nutritious food possible. I find that I hardly ever crave unhealthy food because I feel so much better when I eat high nutrient food. Once you learn what amazing things certain foods can do for you, it feels so good to know that you are taking care of your only body the best way you can!

Dark chocolate with a high cacao content is actually really healthy in moderation and even a superfood with many hidden nutrients so if that’s what you eat, great! But chips are mostly full of preservatives and chemicals and most commercial ice cream also has tons of additives and chemicals. If you made your ice cream in an ice cream maker or better yet, frozen yogurt, or made your own chips from scratch or bought organic low salt chips with only healthy ingredients, that would be fine in moderation. But most commercial foods are filled with chemicals and preservatives that are worse than the actual food and counter-balance any healthy food you eat. I think it’s really pre-packaged food that’s the most dangerous and causing so much obesity, diabetes, heart problems and cancer in current times.

This is orthorexia in a nutshell.

Ah, but what kind of nut? It had better be the most nutritionally correct nut, otherwise I won't be optimally healthy.

I call it something else but....runs to look up orthorexia...oh, god, yeah. Why did I think that was over exercising?

I still call it something else. :)

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited August 2020
    Moderation. Balance. Foods you like that are (somewhat) healthy.

I'm a junk food junkie. Actually I'm simply a food junkie. If it can be eaten, I'm there.
    In truth, I'd prefer all those Twinkies, ice cream, cookies and cakes, to berries, veggies, avocado and fish. BUT I try to maintain a healthier balance than that. IMO there is no magic 100% wholesome diet that fits everyone's needs and wants. Sure, you could just eat 100% healthy foods and maybe still be lacking that specific vitamin or mineral your specific body needs more of or shouldn't have as much of. And I do actually like fish, avocado, berries, etc.; I just simply prefer junk food. :( But in finding a sustainable happy balance, I count calories and moderate what I feel I can healthfully fit into my day.

Maybe OP can search for substitutes of things they like that would make him happy? Whatever you choose to fit into your daily eating needs to be threefold, help you lose weight(IF your need/desire is there and it's within calorie count), is moderately healthy(IOW man does not live on sugar alone) AND makes you happy(so you could do it long term).