Boosting Metabolism

Options

Replies

• ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    Actually, metabolism may be increased by fasting. If you can try to stay without food for 16hrs, 20 hrs or even 24, 48, 72 hrs. it will boost metabolism and decrease you total calories consumption significantly. When your weight so high, you can fast many days without problems.
    Obviously, your problem with weight loss is not due to slow metabolism, (metabolism is complex of chemical reactions working to sustain life). The problem is in high insulin level in your blood. Overweight people very often have high insulin level, but doctors never prescribe this simple test. Ask your doc to order fasting insulin in your blood, but you have to pay for it from your pocket (may be $50). Insurance never covers this cost. This test will give you the real picture of your metabolic state. When insulin is in the blood, it stops any fat burning. Only fasting or ketogenic feeding, can give you low enough insulin. You may try for beginning dirty ketogenic diet, it may work too. Simply cut carbohydrates in your diet.
    If you aware, our pancreas has two types of cells:beta and alfa. Beta cells produce insulin, which shovels glucose in to the cells of the body. Only when no glucose in the blood (fasting state) your pancreas alfa cells produce glucogon the hormone which gives your liver signal to convert fat(body fat) in to ketone bodies and glucose, to be burn as energy. More possible, that your liver and pancreas gland are overflowed with fat and to start them working properly you have to burn fat in these organs first.

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure what part of what you said people disagree with. I really don't know enough on this subject to have an educated opinion. But I do thank you for your response.
  • Nikonana
    Nikonana Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you have been trying to lose weight for a while, it could be that your body is just adjusting to your weight. I wouldn't worry, Try a little more exercise, 1-2 lbs/week is weight you won't put back on the minute you enjoy a slice of birthday cake!
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Oh, the other very interesting test your doc can order for you is A1C. It s, normally, prescribed only to people with diagnosed diabetes 2, but to know it will be very interesting to find out how your are sensitive to insulin. People have no opportunity to measure it ,bc docs never order it. If your number comes back higher than 5.6, it indicates that your "average" blood glucose was elevated to 114 mmol/decL every minute of the last 3 months. It may be your simple reason why you can' t loose any weight. I just want to repeat, we just like your car: you push gas pedal, or you press break pedal, never together. The same is in your body: it's in the grow mode (when insulin is up) or you are in the burning mode using accumulated energy (insulin on the bottom but glucogon is up), never together.
    The other reason why you feel that your metabolism got low, it's your thyroid gland could decrease, it's activity. Most the problems with thyroid happens from consumption of too much carbs. Thyroid participates in carbs metabolism especially in women body, that's why most thyroid problems happen with women. You were asking why your hasband loose his weight easy, while you are strugling. This is on top of other differences between men and women. His body is larger. his muscle mass is larger, his basal metabolism heiger, he has more than 40 times testesterone, his adrenalin and other corticosteroidal hormones are more potent. If you awaer, human body has about 300 hormones enable us to use fat as energy, and only one, but very powreful hormone insulin, which allows us to store energy in the fat tissue. So you have very strong lever in you hands, to decrease insulin (at least for few hrs a day, to let your body to do it's job - get your body slimmer
  • natasor1
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I'm guessing most of us disagree with all of it. :)

I'm just not going to eat anymore! Wow! I'm just sure I'll have a metabolism like a Ferrari! 😅 I'll also save a fortune on protein and veggies since my pancreas and liver are going to produce satiety hormones!🤪

Exactly.

"When insulin is in the blood, it stops any fat burning. Only fasting or ketogenic feeding, can give you low enough insulin."
    "Only when no glucose in the blood (fasting state) your pancreas alfa cells produce glucogon the hormone which gives your liver signal to convert fat(body fat) in to ketone bodies and glucose, to be burn as energy."

That implies that no one has lost fat (1) with insulin or glucose in the blood, or (2) without fasting or ketogenic feeding.

That's nonsense.

Also, just to completely demolish the nonsense, the ONLY time there is no glucose in the blood stream is when you are dead. There are organs in the body - the brain and red blood cells to name 2 - that must have glucose to survive, so even if you eat no carbs at all, your body will use protein and fat to create enough glucose so those organs continue to function.

You are rite, our body is not stupid, it alwais has glucose in the blood to cover energy expenditure of red blood cells and 20% of all the brain energy. Yes. the rest 80% of energy brain uses, can come from ketones bodies. Please, don't be affraid of muscle loss during fast or ketogenic feeding. It never happens bc our body is not stupid, it survived millions years of evolution, adopting to scars condition or harsh environment. We have different tissues which the body can afford to loose, example: dead skin, sinester cell organells, unneeded connective tissie, but muscles will go very last. Nature made us very addoptive to any conditions and be energetic and strong in time when we need to be strong. Ketogenic mode has muscle sparing properties. If you are fasting 2-3 days, nothing happens to your muscles, especially if you use them for exercises
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    Oh, the other very interesting test your doc can order for you is A1C. It s, normally, prescribed only to people with diagnosed diabetes 2, but to know it will be very interesting to find out how your are sensitive to insulin. People have no opportunity to measure it ,bc docs never order it. If your number comes back higher than 5.6, it indicates that your "average" blood glucose was elevated to 114 mmol/decL every minute of the last 3 months. It may be your simple reason why you can' t loose any weight. I just want to repeat, we just like your car: you push gas pedal, or you press break pedal, never together. The same is in your body: it's in the grow mode (when insulin is up) or you are in the burning mode using accumulated energy (insulin on the bottom but glucogon is up), never together.
    The other reason why you feel that your metabolism got low, it's your thyroid gland could decrease, it's activity. Most the problems with thyroid happens from consumption of too much carbs. Thyroid participates in carbs metabolism especially in women body, that's why most thyroid problems happen with women. You were asking why your hasband loose his weight easy, while you are strugling. This is on top of other differences between men and women. His body is larger. his muscle mass is larger, his basal metabolism heiger, he has more than 40 times testesterone, his adrenalin and other corticosteroidal hormones are more potent. If you awaer, human body has about 300 hormones enable us to use fat as energy, and only one, but very powreful hormone insulin, which allows us to store energy in the fat tissue. So you have very strong lever in you hands, to decrease insulin (at least for few hrs a day, to let your body to do it's job - get your body slimmer

Thank you for your response. It definitely can't hurt to ask about the test.
  • natasor1
    Options
    When we talk about carbs metabolism for normal people, this can't be problem. The person is very overweight and has problem to loose weigh. I assume she exosted all techniques to control calories, keep her food intake thru reasonable intervals and exercise. Only after all these done, she may turn to little different aprouch. To loose 5-10 kg is easy for everybody, but when it comes to 35-45kg, she needs more specialized care. Going to see doc and ask all reasonable tests is way to start her jorney