A Nutritionist Once Told me...

Options
2»

Replies

• LMBelladonna
    LMBelladonna Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It is obvious not accurate for everyone. I felt it was good advise for the OP. For average height women, if not counting exercise, the number is about right. Also I felt the important take away in the nutritionist advise is to think about maintenance calorie from the beginning. Do not set a goal for an idea weight because you like that number or you see it on a chart somewhere. Set your goal by determining the calorie budget you can live on relatively comfortable for long time, so it is sustainable. Say your goal weight is 140lbs, you lost weight to 150lbs successfully with 1500 calorie, but further reducing calorie make you miserable, or doing lots of exercise is not your thing, then just stop and maintain at 150lbs and find other way to improve your health and well being.

Fair assessment! The take away being- if I want to lose weight, here is what I should calorically shoot for to do so. At that time, I was a sedentary woman weighing in at about 200 lbs. I am 5'7".

In short, "no more slamming 2500 calories of complete crap and sitting on my tail." Lol. Now I am lightly active and tracking macros/calories in MFP carefully. Let's see what the future holds!
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Nutritionists are not certified. Registered Dieticians are. What she told you is not true.
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The Nutritionist may have been referring to your specific metrics. So, perhaps she/he wasn't saying anyone who eats x calories will drop down to y weight. But, given your activity levels, height, etc... you will have a number of calories that will maintain a certain weight and your body will adjust.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Nutritionists are not certified. Registered Dieticians are. What she told you is not true.

It really depends on where you are, but I agree one should be aware of the qualifications of anyone one goes to for nutrition advice. It's possible that the person in question doesn't actually believe that everyone 150 maintains on 1500 calories and the like, but was giving it as a basic starting point for weight loss because she didn't think the patient (or whatever) actually was interested in a more accurate explanation -- one issue I have is dumbing down information -- but it is so oversimplified and likely to be wrong, even as a weight loss number, that I would be skeptical of that person's advice.

Anyway, here there are certified nutritionists (also referred to as dietitian-nutritionists), and uncertified "nutritionists" are not legally able to practice nutrition services.

"To qualify for licensure in Illinois as a nutritionist, candidates must possess one of the following:

A bachelor’s or post-bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), in one of the following majors:

Dietetics
    Foods and nutrition
    Food systems management
    Human nutrition
    Nutrition education

A bachelor’s or post-bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in an equivalent major course of study recommended by the Board and approved the Department.

To receive a recommendation from the Board and an approval by the Department, the bachelor’s or post-bachelor’s degree must include the following coursework (and meet a number of other requirements):

At least 9 semester hours in biological sciences (must include human anatomy, physiology, and microbiology)
    At least 6 semester hours in chemistry (must include biochemistry or the equivalent)
    At least 6 semester hours in behavioral sciences (such as educational psychology, psychology, counseling, or sociology)
    At least 6 semester hours in management (must include institutional management, food service management, or the equivalent)
    At least 25 semester hours in foods and nutrition, which must include:
    Diet therapy, clinical nutrition, medical dietetics, or the equivalent
    Nutrition through the life cycle, applied nutrition, advanced human nutrition, or the equivalent
    Food science or the equivalent

Candidates for nutritionist licenses in Illinois must also complete at least 900 hours of experience with a 5-year time frame. The experience must have been with a supervisor who meets one the following requirements:

A registered dietician with the Commission on Dietetic Registration
    A licensed dietician nutritionist
    A practitioner who holds a license in nutrition care
    An individual who holds a doctoral degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a major course of study in human nutrition, food and nutrition, food systems management, dietetics, or nutrition education
    An individual who obtained a doctoral degree outside of the U.S. and has his or her degree validated as equivalent to a U.S. doctoral degree."