Spinach Debate 😂

Options
2»

Replies

• PmiA
    PmiA Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Love spinach, hate how it goes off so quickly in the bag, it always turns into slime after a few days.

https://thenaturalnurturer.com/how-to-store-spinach-so-it-stays-fresh-all-week/

Mine stays fresh for literal weeks. I take the time to dry each leaf using a kitchen towel, though..

• _LION_
    _LION_ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My pennies worth in this debate lol.

I'm of the opinion RAW all the time.

When cooked the texture and taste is vile 🤢.

Think my favourite, poached duck egg on toast with RAW spinach.
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I like both, depending on what dish it's used for. Raw for salad, sandwiches, and smoothies. Cooked for soups, and stir fry.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Love spinach, hate how it goes off so quickly in the bag, it always turns into slime after a few days.

I don't give it time to go bad, as I use the entire bag at once. (Yeah, I guess I like spinach!) :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Raw in a salad, crushed in a smoothie, quick 30 sec fry before adding egg omelette.

I wash it, spin it dry. Lay it out on paper towels till dry. Roll it up in the paper towels, jelly roll style. Put in a gallon zip loc bag. Store with top open in crisper drawer. It stays fresh quit a while. I do this with all my greens.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Raw spinach: I will use it like lettuce in salads and sandwiches. Love all ages: baby, teen, mature. (In contrast, I only like baby kale.)

The best way to store whole leaf greens like spinach or baby kale or the tasty "power greens" blend (baby spinach and kale, chard, mizuna) for me has been to transfer to a Rubbermaid vented produce container with a little platform keeping the greens away from the bottom. I put a piece of paper towel on the bottom and also loosely on top. I've seen people get the same kind of success by using a lidded container and layered paper towels. You need to pick out any goners or ailing leaves and change wet towels every day for maximum life. Spinach or baby kale last about a week for me. Other people report up to two weeks. Baby romaine seems shorter lived for me.

Precut bagged greens are pretty hopeless, they have to be eaten within 24 hours for me... But uncut leaves are longer lasting.

Discovered the joys of raw spinach as an adult, my mother only served disgusting precooked (I guess) canned spinach. But I discovered if spinach was chopped fine so it didn't choke you trying to swallow it, a reasonable amount could be good in cooked dishes. I found bags of little frozen 1oz cubes of leaf spinach that are perfect for me, I can just toss a cube into a bowl with other frozen veg in the microwave (to be ultimately added to rice or millet or pasta) and chop it up when it has thawed a bit with kitchen shears.

And chopped spinach is actually wonderful in pea soup.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I like both but eat it more raw than cooked
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Raw! I can't stand cooked spinach.

I have to watch my potassium levels so I limit my spinach intake either way. I usually mix a little with lettuce for a salad.
  • _LION_
    _LION_ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Raw! I can't stand cooked spinach.

I have to watch my potassium levels so I limit my spinach intake either way. I usually mix a little with lettuce for a salad.

Can I ask why ? Is spinach high in potassium ?