Body set point

How long does it take to lower the body's weight setpoint?
Over the last few years I found that at 71 kilos, my appetite seriously decreased till I returned to 70-69 kilos. This was a 26.5 BMI. I have worked very hard and am now fluctuating around 65.5 kilos. My tolerance for the work and hunger has finished. I will go to a maintenance mode till I recover my tolerance and can make more efforts toward 63 kilos. How long should I anticipate till the unconscious balance of the weight set point kicks in to help me?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    I don't know that set point is the phenomenon you think it is...

A lot of what you experience has correlation(s) to how large your deficit was while you were losing, how long you maintained that deficit, what 65 kilos means to your BMI and other factors.

Here, read the first couple pages of the Refeed thread, I think it will answer all your questions:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • cmriverside
    Tagging @psychod787 - he's big on set point theory...
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
  • cmriverside
    There is new information that there is a gravity system in our bone that remember how much we weigh to help us not gain or lose weight

Well this is a fascinating sentence...@psychod787

Someday I'll come sit at your feet and you can teach me everything.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    There is new information that there is a gravity system in our bone that remember how much we weigh to help us not gain or lose weight

Well this is a fascinating sentence...@psychod787

Someday I'll come sit at your feet and you can teach me everything.

Ma'am, there isn't much for me to teach you. YOU are the unicorn! I will gladly learn from you. The gravistat does not seem to be as vigorously defended as the lipostat. It seems to act independent of the leptin system. The weight of a person is sense by the osteocytes in the bones and decreases appetite when weight is increases. This would only make sense because as a prey animal, we would have to climb and run. I think the modern food environment of hyper palatable / energy dense foods overrides it. We just eat past it because satiety does not always track well with caloric intake. I think that people who are more active might increase the load on the bones. Thus making caloric intake more in line with needs.
  • cmriverside
    tenor.gif

Well, the increased load on the bones would then be more pronounced with lifting

I am teetering on not knowing WTH I'm talking about, so I'll just be quiet now.
  • cmriverside
    Notifications are broken. :(
  • cmriverside
    liraglutide on glp 1 production

k. whatever you say.

I am not a medical professional. I am more like Rachel.
  • sarahkatzenelson452
    sarahkatzenelson452 Posts: 37 Member
    Thank you all for the comments and the threads. I read them all , havent seen the ytube film yet. The term "refeeding" has such difficult associations... I think my conclusion is that I need at least half a year of maintening before I relax my grip on calorie watching.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,930 Member
    Another n=1.

My setpoint was "about a pound or two heavier than last year" for about 30 years. This doesn't really sound like a setpoint.

Then I had enough of that.

There was definitely hunger at first, and I was able to manage that. It got better, and my hunger adjusted to I got to a point where I actually enjoyed the "empty" feeling part of the day. It made me appreciate food even more (hard to imagine because I love food), and it encouraged me to eat more mindfully. Even before I started to lose, I could easily skip eating for most of the day and then make up for it later. My ex never understood how I could go through the day and do physical activity and never have breakfast and even a late lunch. Worked for me.

I wish I had a "setpoint" that I could somehow reset and then no longer have to track my intake and activity. Maybe I'll find it in a decade. For now it's just about paying attention and trying to make sure to eat things that fill me up, fuel my body, and stay within my goals.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited August 2020
    @psychod787 I was outside irrigating fields until 10:30 pm but that one statement ..I kept mulling it over. The gravity system in our bones that remembers how much we weigh...dem bones dem bones dem bones. Everything has a memory. What about space bones, living on the space station. What do you think?

Long term exposure to zero gravity causes loss of bone and muscle mass. I recently had a dream that I traveled to Mars but I think I'm better off here with gravity for dem bones. Thanks for your thought provoking posts.

Sidenote: I could easily eat my weight in gummy bears, live on gummy bears but that green vege membrane supplementation made an impact on me, too. I ate whopping boatloads of that at lunchtime. I know about the transition from a sugar burner to a fat burner. B)
  • lucy_Jada
    lucy_Jada Posts: 37 Member
    So interesting.... I definitely have a set point. I was looking into how to eat and found some help using the zigzag method... Go to calculator.net. You plug in your weight activity level, etc. And it give you a weekly zigzag calories goal tip confuse the body's set point. Maybe I will try it......
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I see to have 3 set points around 15 pounds apart. I'll just sit there pretty stubbornly and then run from one to the other.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,689 MFP Moderator
    ...The term "refeeding" has such difficult associations...

Try to think of it as a diet break then. We need to give ourselves a break now and then from the constant restriction. :)