Needing advice on bodybuilding

Options
gabrielanedyalkova2020
gabrielanedyalkova2020 Posts: 4 Member
edited August 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
***NO AFFILIATE LINKS/PROMOTIONS PLEASE, THEY WILL BE REPORTED. I NEED HONEST AND GENUINE ADVICE***

Hey bodybuilders,

I am totally lost when it comes to how many calories I need to consume to lose weight, how much protein I should consume to sculpt and all the bits and bobs in between.

Stats about me:

Weight 52kg
Height: 160cm
Target weight: 47kg

In a day I consume 2 meals, a strong breakfast and a significantly lighter evening meal. In between I could eat something snacky such as a Walkers bag of crisp 25g, a salami stick the length of a high heel and typical bread stick thickness 22.5g and 40g chocolate and some days ice cream Magnum 79g. Somedays it could be 1 of the 3 or 2 of the 3, it's not always a daily full house.

Though I am planning to alter my current breakfast and evening meals to transition to breakfast and lunch instead and for the evening just a fruit or two, how does that sound?

Also the last 2 years honestly I haven't had a proper work out apart from the shopping walks and the recent 5km daily walks within the last month, but only because it's summer now. However I have worked out before and do have muscles underneath my excess weight so I am not a total beginner to exercising.

I saw a youtube video where a woman who followed Chloe Ting's 2 Week Abs program reduced her belly in 2 weeks. How do people do it, surely it's not just exercising alone?!

The whole problem for me to gain excess weight is not solely based on the snacks but rather a combination of the great deal of inactivity and food consumption. I haven't had any fries, or fast food of any kind, no fizzy drinks, no jelly sweets like Harribos for a whole year now, only chocolate in small amounts such as 10 blocks maximum. For example Galaxy bar portrait, a row for the day.

My metabolism is also broken.

So my goals are to lose weight and sculpt at the same time.

Areas I need to lose weight on:

- Belly (high priority)
- Butt
- The area just above the buttocks but below the waist, those bits at the side we find difficult tucking in when getting on our jeans
- The waist itself
- The sticky out bits on the outer thighs below the buttocks.

Areas I want to sculpt (please see attachments below):

https://snipboard.io/FSjVCr.jpg
https://snipboard.io/zXg69q.jpg
https://snipboard.io/lK7jP9.jpg
https://snipboard.io/i1RQ9z.jpg

Side note: The purpose of the attachments is to illustrate the results I want to gain and to what extent so I can then maintain it.

- Have a nice toned belly, the toned phase just before the six pack, I want to have 2 vertical lines (see attachments)

- Sculpt a peach like butt (or brazillian however they call it) or lifted butt

- Toned thighs (inner, outter, and sides)

- Toned legs but not very muscular, just visibly tight

- As a bonus second priority, tone my arms to get rid of the floppy part

My timeframe goal for achieving the above is June/July 2021.

I can't afford dieting combos due to tight budget as well as lack of time. However I have read that protein shakes (with whey scoops) can also do the trick as whey protein has many benefits.

I have also heard that calorie in-take can in fact end up working against your favour if you don't manage to burn the required daily calorie amount? (I am not sure if I've remembered it correctly.) I.e it can be just as disadvantageous as it can be advantageous.

So I found this article : https://www.coachmag.co.uk/nutrition/1099/protein-shake-recipes which of them do I need to consume every day (alongside my daily workouts) with protein shakes. Do I consume all of them listed in 1 day OR just the breakfast, pre-workout and recovery protein shakes?

Do you know any other protein shakes?

Workout equipment I already have :

- A workout mat
- 2kg dumbbells
- And will soon have resistance bands (currently researching which ones to get)

So I need help with the following:

- Advice on my daily food intake but without the classic diet as I am relying on the shakes for the time being
- Workout videos (I am happy to workout 7 days a week), or whatever the recommended number of days a week is.
- Protein shakes, how many per day, + whey protein scoops, recipes etc.
- What my daily calorie intake should be and;
- How can I fix my metabolism

Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to your input.

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Sadly, you also can’t spot reduce. There is no magical way to get rid of belly fat. You can build muscle with an appropriate work out and nutrition.
  • gabrielanedyalkova2020
    Options
    I feel like you are overthinking this pretty massively. First of all, you don't "need" to consume protein shakes at all, unless you find them helpful in achieving your total protein requirement. Also, your metabolism isn't broken. Good news - they aren't breakable.

Secondly, you aren't going to be able to build muscle while in a steep deficit, as you seem determined to do. If you have a lot of fat to lose, and are in a mild/moderate deficit, you may be able to build some muscle as a newbie, but you are already at the low end of your BMI, and eating at a deficit will cause you to lose both fat and lean muscle mass at this point.

Why are you looking to lose more weight? Your goal is technically underweight? I feel like recomposition would be more appropriate for you if you are looking to lose fat but gain muscle - which means eating at maintenance level - ie lots more!

Check out the bodybuilding forum here - there are several great threads on recomposition, and on choosing a good program.

Hey there thank you..

Oh right in that case underweight is definitely not where I want to be. I want to maintain my weight but bits of fat aren't sitting right on my body so I am guessing I need to turn those fat bits into muscle mass instead of burning them off? am I right?

Eating how much more? I honestly don't think I can get anymore than 3 meals maximum for the day, though I have in mind of having breakfast and lunch and have a fruit for the evening?

This is what I can't get my head around the whole BMI, deficit etc...
  • gabrielanedyalkova2020
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Ok wow you seem to have a lot going on in your post and I also agree you are overthinking everything. It doesn't have to be complicated.
    First the changes you want to make can take a lot of time, maybe years. Maybe less, but you have to have reasonable expectations and make sure you aren't focusing too much at comparing yourself to others who have probably been training close to 10+ years. The women in your photos actually have a pretty significant muscle base (you would not actually realize how difficult it is to build that up depending on where you are starting of course). It has taken me at least 3-4 years to build my physique and I am not nearly as muscular as some of them.

You are at a pretty light weight for your height. If you are not happy with your body and want to look like the females in your photos I would not lose more weight. If you could post a photo of yourself that might be helpful too.

But in general, I would start by following a lifting program. Not circuit training but an actual lifting program. I know you don't have very much equipment but you can probably make due for a while with bands and light weights. Eventually though you will likely have to move on to heavier weight (dumbbells, barbells, etc). It sounds like something like Strong Curves (which has a bodyweight program) or any program by Bret Contreras (his Glute Lab program from his book by the same name) , or Thinner Leaner Stronger, or Stephanie Buttermore's program will be a good fit, maybe when you have access to more equipment. There are many others. See this link for details:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I recommend you hang out at maintenance for a bit, you could probably make some decent progress by recomping... so you will lean out a bit and build muscle while maintaining. Set your calories to maintenance on here MFP and eat back most of your exercise calories, or find your TDEE (total energy expenditure)... you can find a calculator (such as Macros Inc, Scooby's etc) enter your stats and eat that amount everyday. Make sure you get adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb bodyweight/lean body mass). You don't need protein shakes unless you enjoy them, find them convenient or are having a hard time hitting that number with food.

Once you have been lifting for a while (at least 3 months or so) I would actually run a very lean bulk, just a hit above maintenance... to gain (yes gain...) 0.5lb per week or less. Then you would cut down to reveal everything. Building muscle will be the key to building your physique. But take it one step at a time and start with upping your calories to maintenance and fueling yourself. One step at a time!

Where you mentioned about finding protein shakes convenient, or having a hard time hitting the calorie number with food and also budget is a problem too. You @sardelsa have got it bang on. It is exactly the reason why I turned to them as I don't have the time to meal prep, or pick out my menu or change it up etc, so yes I am definitely relying on them to get me results alongside of course my workouts.

So basically all it is in my case is:

Recomposition = Protein Shakes + weight/resistance training + time?

According to my calculation I need 80-110g of protein every day, if that is right?

How many protein shakes do I need to consume every day?

I am guessing there will be a breakfast protein shake to start the day with, but will that be by itself or alongside my breakfast?

(Speaking of breakfast here are my regulars: breakfast consist of 50g noodles + flavouring, but excluing the cheese, gherkins and smoked cooked sausages..

Other days my breakfast will be a sandwich consisting of margarine, a salamy of some sort and melted cheese on top and a 25g Walkers crisp bag..

Another breakfast variation is: bottled pepper omelette and white onion all in the mix and at the side I will have a white bread slice)

What about any cardio, do I need to include it in my workouts?

You also mentioned a lifitng program, how long should I do it for, for example how may days per week and going forward in general?

I wouldn't be able to go back to the gym unless the whole covid-19 is completely off the cards (such a shame as I have a loaded gym near me) but otherwise I have always preferred to workout at the gym instead of at home.

Something I missed out on mentioning in my original post was when I used to workout at home I always felt nauseous for some reason being the primary reason that discouraged me from continuing my workouts any longer than 3 weeks. I also did not see any progress even the smallest of the smallest. Second reason is lack of equipment.

Also what do you mean by : "Once you have been lifting (I am guessing resistance bands can also count?) for a while (at least 3 months or so) I would actually run a very lean bulk, just a hit above maintenance... to gain (yes gain...) 0.5lb per week or less. Then you would cut down to reveal everything."
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

For protein I would aim to work up to 90-115g (so 0.8-1g per lb of your current weight,) in your particular case since you are quiet lean already. But starting with 80-110g is fine too.

In terms of protein shakes, I would highly recommend trying to get the majority of your protein from food sources, and using the shake as a supplement to hit the numbers. Food will give you more nutrition, other macros. Nothing wrong with having the odd 2 shakes a day and it can be done but personally food should be the priority for muscle building and optimal body function.

You can have it whenever it is convenient for you. If it is breakfast, before, after your workout, don't get bogged down with the details.

Cardio is good for health so it is wise to include it, however I wouldn't do so much cardio that you are having a hard time keeping up with your calorie intake or so much that it impacts your lifting recovery. For example if you are burning 500 per day in cardio, you might have a hard time eating that back and you will end up losing weight which should not be your goal. Also you might find your legs hurt too much and you can't lift as much the next day, so that would not be good either (in terms of muscle building since that is your goal).

In terms of a lifting program, a properly designed program will outline how many reps, days per week to do so you don't have to figure it out for yourself. Resistance bands are quite inexpensive and can really help you out to add resistance. Also bodyweight, things around the house or at the grocery store like big water jugs, etc. You might just have to make due with what you have but if you are a beginner it will be easier to add resistance.

When you say you feel sick when working out, is it because you are pushing yourself too hard? You should not be working out so hard that you feel sick. On the other hand it could be a medical issue so if you have any concerns I would talk to your doctor.

As for my last point, you are very lean. You need to build muscle, and in your case building muscle will require putting on weight. If you want to build a strong house, if you have the bricks available you can rearrange them.. .but there will come a point where if you only have a few lying around, you need to add bricks. You will need to gain to really see muscle growth. But I would spend some time at maintenance first to get comfortable then slowly add weight.

Hope that helps!
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Wow that photo was tiny on my phone it's huge on the desktop. Apologies :D
  • gabrielanedyalkova2020
    gabrielanedyalkova2020 Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Woooow huge congratulations @sardelsa amazing work :smile:

So I came across this online tool which told me the amount of calories I need to take in every day to reach my goals being 1,544 calories per day. please see the PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h-UYfdSozwofKFnhmaCxIUb4K8D0ljCy/view?usp=sharing

Scroll down to the 5th page where there is a protein shake which contains protein, carbs, fats etc all in one. In which case this is what my typical day will look like going forward with the shakes :

Breakfast (1 of the usualls I mentioned above)

Then a protein shake (on the 5th page of PDF)

3 hrs later a workout which will be a combo of lifting and a Chloe Ting tutorial or a few on glutes/abs (unless I should take in all of the 1544 calories before my workout?

Or : 

A lifting program and glutes video one day
    A lifting program and abs the following day
    A lifting program and legs whole body third day? Etc...

Maybe straight after the workout, I will have the same shake (with the same amounts specified in the attachment)

How many out of the daily 1544 calorie gain should I burn in every workout?

In the evening I will consume 1 or 2 fruits.
    (P.S I am guessing it is a terrible idea to drink a protein shake before going to bed??)

Considering the above arrangement, am I on the right track to achieving the goals by next summer (with really hard work)?

I want to create a regime that I can stick to and keep going with..
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just noticed what you put as an example of your daily food intake. It sounds like you could benefit from some more nutrition there. Say, green vegetables and fruit, lean protein, healthy fats. You can eat what you like, of course, and still achieve your weight and bodybuilding goals. I’m just suggesting you explore a scenario where you get a good dose of vitamins and minerals daily from simple, fresh, easily digestible food. I find now that I’ve included those goodies, I don’t need to rely on shakes and supplements quite as much to hit my macros.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,165 Member
    Options
    Woooow huge congratulations @sardelsa amazing work :smile:

So I came across this online tool which told me the amount of calories I need to take in every day to reach my goals being 1,544 calories per day. please see the PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h-UYfdSozwofKFnhmaCxIUb4K8D0ljCy/view?usp=sharing

Scroll down to the 5th page where there is a protein shake which contains protein, carbs, fats etc all in one. In which case this is what my typical day will look like going forward with the shakes :

Breakfast (1 of the usualls I mentioned above)

Then a protein shake (on the 5th page of PDF)

3 hrs later a workout which will be a combo of lifting and a Chloe Ting tutorial or a few on glutes/abs (unless I should take in all of the 1544 calories before my workout?

Or : 

A lifting program and glutes video one day
    A lifting program and abs the following day
    A lifting program and legs whole body third day? Etc...

Maybe straight after the workout, I will have the same shake (with the same amounts specified in the attachment)

How many out of the daily 1544 calorie gain should I burn in every workout?

In the evening I will consume 1 or 2 fruits.
    (P.S I am guessing it is a terrible idea to drink a protein shake before going to bed??)

Considering the above arrangement, am I on the right track to achieving the goals by next summer (with really hard work)?

I want to create a regime that I can stick to and keep going with..

Is your goal purely maximum results at body recomposition, or is there some aspect of wanting to do workouts you think are more fun? (There's nothing wrong with fun as a goal!)

If you use a good strength training program, one from the link Sardelsa gave you, I'd encourage you not to add other strength=based workouts on top of that, at least not for a few months. I know it seems like if you do more, you'll get better or faster results, but that's not really how it works. Recovery is important. Overdoing workouts hinders recovery.

Recovery is when your muscles build up, simplistically speaking, after the exercise challenges them (breaks them down, loosely speaking). Inadequate recovery means slower progress.

The lifting program should work glutes, abs, legs, whole body. You should not need to add those things to it. That could be overdoing, especially as it sounds like you're a beginner.

If your main goal is recomposition, then just pick one of those good lifting programs, and do it consistently. Get that in your habit set consistently for at least a couple of months before you start considering other work that could impair recovery.

Alongside the lifting program, if you want to do cardio, pick some kind of cardio that doesn't include a lot of strength work, either in the form of weights, or in the form of bodyweight work (calisthenics circuits or the like). Good kinds of cardio would be more along the dance/walk/bike/run kind of line, things that don't have a lot of resistance, don't use weights, etc.

Also, for a few weeks at least, avoid extremely intense cardio. Keep it moderate. Maximize your strength training recovery. Don't tax your body with extreme cardio alongside the strength work right away.

Your eating plan (in the PDF) looks pretty sensible. When you eat which things is really a matter of personal preference, and what works well for you as an individual. Specifically, from a theoretical standpoint, if you're getting proper protein during your day, it doesn't matter very much whether you get it before workouts, after workouts, during workouts, right before bed, etc.

Some people find that if they eat right before bed, it hurts their sleep quality. Others find that if they go to bed with an empty stomach, it hurts their sleep quality. Which are you, or maybe you're neither? We don't know. Experiment.

Same thing with when you eat, vs. when your workouts happen. Some people get digestive upsets if they eat before working out, so they like to eat fasted, and that works well for them. Other people (I'm one) find that their workout performance suffers if they don't eat something before working out, so they either work out after a meal, or have a snack before/during the workout. Which are you? Experiment.

Same thing with energy level and appetite/cravings. How many meals/snacks, and when, is very individual.

Try an eating routine for a few days (long enough to kind of get used to it, unless there are truly horrid immediate consequences). Then think about whether it's working for you, or if you should try a different routine. Keep fine tuning, and you'll figure out what works best for you.

As far as how many calories to burn doing the workouts? Don't worry about it. Do workouts for your fitness and body composition goals, that you find tolerable/enjoyable, for an amount of time that fits in your life (leaves you with enough time for work, family, friends, other things that are important to your happiness). Eat your meal plan.

Since (as I gather) you plan to maintain your weight, watch the scale, and if you're consistently losing over a period of a few weeks, eat more. If you're consistently gaining over many weeks, eat less. Keep fine tuning, and you'll figure out what works for you.

This is all just my opinion, of course.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    @AnnPT77 said it perfectly. Follow a program. Don't add stuff and do too much cardio.

Just to make sure, is 1550 cals per day maintenance? Not including exercise? If it doesn't you want to eat to maintain so I would eat exercise calories back if that is the case. Essentially you want to maintain your weight not lose over time (small fluctuations are ok as long as it's not going in any direction consistently).

Also don't overcomplicate the diet and meal timing. Split it however you want.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are new to calorie counting (based on your first login date), I would honestly not worry too much about your macros in the beginning. Just getting your head around weighing your food, logging, good entry selection from the MFP database and use of the TARE button can take a bit of getting used to. For the first month, just hit your total number of calories for the day and hit the required grams of protein per day as above. Other than that, eat what you want, when you want.

On training, well maybe your circumstances won't allow for this, but I would just jump straight in and buy a power rack, oly bar and some plates. Or join a gym, which isn't very helpful advice given the pandemic. If you are serious about body building, you will need this stuff, I wouldn't waste $$$ on equipment you will quickly out grow. All the best!