My Greatest Success? Cheating.

Options
2»

Replies

• oliverwnc
    oliverwnc Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    sobrsgd wrote: »
    I am in recovery for 7 years from alcohol. I only recently decided to do something for my relationship (read addiction) to food. I put everything down on my daily tracker, even the occasional snacks and have done so under a dietitian's guidance for 3 weeks now. In the past week, without even thinking about it, I hit close to my macros and calories every day. I had to make the active decision not to obsess over the numbers because I know my mental state when I have done so in the past. I am enjoying my meals and snacks and enjoying the occasional fast food treat without guilt. I use many of the tools I learned in AA to manage my food addictions.

Many years ago, I worked at a job which had reduced insurance premiums if I was below a certain BMI. I literally starved myself and drank very little water for 3 days before the weigh in to get that weight. I did so, but decided I'd rather have my sanity and pay the higher premiums because my body liked for me to be 3 pounds heavier than what they said I should weigh.

Thank you for sharing, Ollie, and for helping us see our mental health is as important as physical health.

Annie :)

Personally I do find that tracking (very accurately) is helpful - and it does sometimes mean you feel in control. However, for me it started to become overwhelming at times. I would obsess, too. Often, eating intuitively sees me giving my body what it needs better than doing things by the numbers. Some days, my appetite may be a little lower! Other days, my activity & appetite may be rather more.

Thank you so much for your thoughts - and all the very best with your continued recovery.
  • ravertink223
    ravertink223 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's amazing, congrats!! I definitely learned in my weight loss journey that if I restrict myself from the food I love, I'm miserable and end up on a binge. Happy is one of the steps to healthy :)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it helps to have some foods you love, I plan on doing this every month, I ate whatever I wanted and came down 2 pounds. I know I can't do it often but I think once every 3 or 4 weeks helps, also gets me off a plateau.
  • oliverwnc
    oliverwnc Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There is a lot to be said for some level of intuitive eating, in my opinion. The restrictions do lead to binges, whereas listening to your body rarely does. It turns out that when you have sufficient calories, you don't necessarily have that urge to eat the whole jar of cookies!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!