They say 8 Glasses of water a day but...

Options
13»

Replies

• andrea_is_always
    andrea_is_always Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great responses, yes water IS amazing, helps with weight loss & sooo much more... but what do those of us do, who's bathroom breaks are monitored VERY closely at work? I'm so bummed because I know I could lose more, but my job prevents me from doing that. I've gotten several "talking to's" because I would drink "too much water" (which was actually not even half of what I'm supposed to be drinking).
    I've heard that grapes are good for situations like mine, but I can't imagine that being a healthy amount of water intake. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Andrea you guys haev monitored wee-wee brakes????????thats for the birds! you need to write the president of the company or something! you cant tell anyone when they can or cannot pee!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 64-80 oz every day. But maybe more depending on the weather, how much I exercise, etc. Biggest benefit is to your body function: roughly 60-70% of our body weight is water. It is essential to life. You can go many days with no food, but you can't do the same without water.

Most people run around slightly dehydrated and don't even know it. I upped my water significantly when I went in for a physical and found out I was dehydrated. My problem? I was drinking water, but also counting "liquids" (I was drinking a lot of tea at the time) and "foods" toward my water total, but that often isn't enough if you exercise.Changed over to plain old water and haven't had any problems since.
  • EDCoffman
    EDCoffman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that to get the correct amount of water for your body you take your weight and divide it by two and drink that many ounces of water a day. I can't remember what all it said. I just remembered the formula. Had something to do with getting you metabolisim going.
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    1.Lose weight: Drinking water helps you lose weight because it flushes down the by-products of fat breakdown. Drinking water reduces hunger, it’s an effective appetite suppressant so you’ll eat less. Plus, water has zero calories. Here are the further details on how to achieve fat loss by drinking water.
    2.Natural Remedy for Headache: Helps to relieve headache and back pains due to dehydration. Although there are many other reasons contribute to headache, dehydration is the common one.
    3.Look Younger with Healthier Skin: You’ll look younger when your skin is properly hydrated. Water helps to replenish skin tissues, moisturizes skin and increase skin elasticity.
    4.Better Productivity at Work: Your brain is mostly made up of water, thus drinking water helps you think better, be more alert and more concentrate.
    5.Better Exercise: Drinking water regulates your body temperature. You’ll feel more energetic when doing exercises and water helps to fuel your muscle.
    6.Helps in Digestion and Constipation: Drinking water raises your metabolism because it helps in digestion. Fiber and water goes hand in hand so that you can have your daily bowel movement.
    7.Less Cramps and Sprains: Proper hydration helps keep your joints and muscles lubricated, so you’ll less likely get cramps and sprains.
    8.Less Likely to Get Sick and Feel Healthy: Drinking plenty of water helps fight against flu and other ailments like kidney stones and heart attack. Water adds with lemon is used for ailments like respiratory disease, intestinal problems, rheumatism and arthritis etc. Another words one of the benefits of drinking water can improve our immune system. Follow this link for further information on how lemon water can improve your health.
    9.Relieves Fatigue: Water is used by the body to help flush out toxins and waste products from the body. If your body lacks of water, your heart, for instance, need to work harder to pump out the oxygenated blood to all cells, so are the rest of the vital organs, your organs will be exhausted and so are you.
    10.Good Mood: Your body feels very good and that’s why you feel happy.
    11.Reduce the Risk of Cancer: Related to the digestive system, some studies show that drinking a healthy amount of water may reduce the risks of bladder cancer and colon cancer. Water dilutes the concentration of cancer-causing agents in the urine and shortens the time in which they are in contact with bladder lining.

(I will be the first to admit i dont drink enough AT ALL! But it is super good for you.)

Just for that ^^^^^ I am going to go grab a bottle of water and drink it as fast as I can :laugh:
  • EDCoffman
    EDCoffman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I read/heard somewhere a few years back that to get the correct amount of water for your body. Take your weight and divide it by two then drink that many ounces of water a day. Can't remember all the details of why, but it had something to do with getting your motabolism going.
  • Brook70
    Brook70 Posts: 164
    Options
    Bump
    Thanks for all of the great information.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

By Mayo Clinic staff

How much water should you drink each day? It's a simple question with no easy answers. Studies have produced varying recommendations over the years, but in truth, your water needs depend on many factors, including your health, how active you are and where you live.

Although no single formula fits everyone, knowing more about your body's need for fluids will help you estimate how much water to drink each day.
    if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add some science.....because I'm a science geek.

The reason you lose more weight when you drink the "correct" amount of water is because water is necessary for the body to use fat as fuel. The process is called HYDROLYSIS.

Water is added to triglycerides (fat) to give you glycerol and fatty acids.

Here is a good read on the process and how and why the byproducts are used

http://www.natuurlijkerwijs.com/english/Fatty_acid_metabolism.htm
  • bcattoes
    Options
    In honor of Earth Day, I just have to say that I hope people are using reusable water bottles, like those from Nalgene or Brita. They are BPA free, and really help me get all my water in, b/c each bottle holds at least 3 glasses. I fill mine up 3 times a day, and have no problem at all getting through them. And Brita just came out with one that has a built in filter, so that tap water can be filtered within the bottle (on my wish list!). That commercial about water bottles stretching around Earth freaks me out, and most disposable water bottles are not BPA free, not to mention the cost of drinking 4+ of these a day. Not to ramble, but water is important, and the quality reusable containers make it very easy to meet daily goals. :)

I use a glass, well actually it's a tall plastic tumbler, but I wasn't sure if anyone would know what I meant if I said I use a plastic.
  • bcattoes
    Options

The reason you lose more weight when you drink the "correct" amount of water is because water is necessary for the body to use fat as fuel. The process is called HYDROLYSIS.

But it doesn't have to be plain water, and liquid beverage will do this.
  • jmeeej
    Options
    I never count water as water unless it's just water.

Plain and simple. a 355 mL can of Coke Zero is not 355 mL of water. It may be water-based.....but it's still not water.
  • RMinVA
    Options

Not true...depends on a lot of other factors. If you read my prior post I was drinking water and plenty of "other" liquids and still got dehydrated.
  • jmeeej
    Options
    Water is used for MANY things in your body.

On of the main uses is to detoxify your body. Something that contains a lot of toxins is soda. If you think drinking a 1L of Dr. Pepper is going to hydrate you as much as 1L bottle of water....WRONG. All of the crap in your soda and other beverages end up using a lot of water to process them which leaves your body's net H2O intake lower than you think.

I know when I was drinking flavored waters that were "zero carb" with artificial sweeteners, I never felt refreshed or hydrated.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Depending on how tall you are or how much you weigh effects how much water you should be drinking.

A general rule is 1oz of water for ever 2lbs you weigh

Also a good rule of thumb if you are nut sure if you are drinking enough is the color of your pee.

Dark Yellow = not enough water
    Light Yellow = good amount
    Clear = too much water, you are just peeing water and nutrients out.

I heard about this too.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • LaMaMiK77
    Options
    I hate drinking water but the last couple days I have been drinking 3-4 bottle a day...I'm really trying :)
  • bcattoes
    Options

Not true...depends on a lot of other factors. If you read my prior post I was drinking water and plenty of "other" liquids and still got dehydrated.

Unless the "plenty of other liquids" had a very high alcohol content or it actually wasn't "plenty", that's just not physically possible.
  • RMinVA
    Options

Unless the "plenty of other liquids" had a very high alcohol content or it actually wasn't "plenty", that's just not physically possible.

Please don't jump to conclusions about what I might have been drinking. Everyone is saying that "other" liquids count, and I am just saying that it is not necessarily true. For the record it was unsweetened brewed iced tea, which I used to drink by the gallon. As I said in both of my posts, it depends on a lot of other factors. In my case, I was training for my first half marathon, in the winter, outside. And sweating a lot more than I realized. Iced tea just wasn't getting the job done. I happened to have my regular doctor's appointment scheduled, and they were the ones that pointed out I was getting dehydrated. It manifested itself in several ways, including some whacky blood work.