Magnesium wonder supplement or not?

Options
After some thoughts on Magnesium. Its made out to be a wonder mineral, helping with everything from Anxiety, to sleep to testosterone level to muscle soreness.

Last year I had a rough time with anxiety and panic attacks which in turn lead to sleep issues. I didn't want to take medication so Magnesium was recommended. For me anyway, it seemed to do the opposite of what its supposed to do. I spent a year trying various different types.

Oxide - Did nothing but cause diarrhea
Citrate - Interesting one this, If I took in the morning 100mg it left me feeling half doped all day, if I took at night it kept me awake, tired but wired.
Glycinate - Tried this once and it was after taking this that I had my first ever night with zero sleep, not one wink did I sleep, tired but extremely wired.
Magnesium Chloride Spray - Supposed to be good for aches and pains after the gym, did absolutely nothing for me in any department.

All in all Magnesium did nothing beneficial for me and in fact since coming off my sleep has improved.

Replies

• naturegirldebbie
    naturegirldebbie Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    My cardiologist recommended it for me when I was having non-heart related palpitations. It greatly reduced the palpitations and they went away almost completely after menopause. The Magnesium Malate, which I took in the evening also stopped all of the SEVERE leg and feet cramps that would wake me up in tears.
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My wife takes a magnesium supplement that she swears got rid of the night leg cramps that plagued her for years. I suddenly started getting the cramps and she suggested I take the magnesium, too, but to no avail.

After three nights of excruciating pain I realized I'd forgotten to take my medications (8 prescriptions for three serious conditions) for three days! I'd been adjusting when I take them as well as my daily schedule of activity, and had just plain forgotten for three days. Took my medications on day 4 (and haven't missed one since) and no cramps that night or any since. Far as I can tell there is no magnesium in any of them.

Two people, two outcomes. My tiny research indicates magnesium supplements can be helpful for a number of conditions, it isn't a "miracle" mineral, just one we need at certain levels just as we need other minerals.

• mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I take a calcium-magnesium supplement because my research showed that they need to be balanced. I do feel that they help with anxiety especially the kind that feels 'jittery' (physical manifestations).
  • ms_maruska
    ms_maruska Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium citrate for anxiety and leg cramps, and I used to get magnesium threonate which was also beneficial for memory recall. It made a huge difference and I'm a pretty regular "user".

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    3 months I’ve been supplementing Magnesium and it has been helping with anxiety and sleep. I started slowly and ramped up to full dose over 2 weeks to prevent any digestive side effects, and that worked out really well.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety, I take magnesium daily. I can tell a difference in my anxiety if I don't take it. I still have sleep issues - not insomnia, I have a different natural sleep phase than "normal'. I take melatonin sometimes for that.

I don't have cramp issues.

I used to only take citrate ( I don't take oxide, it is not well absorbed - that is why it is so cheap). I have talked bisglycinate - I don't know.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Even in a situation where the science show some overall positive results**, they may not apply for a particular individual. (If you were never magnesium deficient, there's probably nothing helpful for it to accomplish, and maybe some unhelpful side effects (usually intestinal).) That said, I gather suboptimal magnesium intake is fairly common in the population at large, these days.

Personally, I didn't see a lot of benefits from either magnesium citrate (maybe some minor improvement in sleep, but unsure), ditto for magnesium glycinate (but I think it's possible that that one caused me some intestinal issues).

I feel like in these n=1 cases, even (especially?) my own, it's hard to be certain of the effects. Our lives tend to be pretty dynamic, not very controlled background conditions to isolate the single factor. On top of that, placebo effect is "real" in the sense that placebos have observable, measurable effects in some situations, not just cognitive illusions about effects.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do n=1 trials. I do lots of them, personally. I just think it's speculative to generalize from our n=1 to what others should do - I'm more inclined to go with the science, for that, even if I share my personal experience (properly caveated).

** Basic summary at https://examine.com/supplements/magnesium/
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    My daughter takes magnesium to help digestion. It is invaluable for her.
    No one else in the family needs it.
    My perspective: certain people have a mineral deficiency and need to supplement that mineral. Other people don’t.
    You need to figure out what works for you.

There are lots of reasons why people don’t sleep well from the room being too hot to sleeping disorder. You may need additional medical assistance/test, like a sleep study, to determine the root cause of your sleep issues. Once you’ve identified root cause, then you can evaluate ‘treatment’ options. I put treatment in quotes to emphasize that treatment does not exclusively mean medication; it could mean something like changing your evening routine.

Take care
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Hubby's sleep greatly improved once he started wearing muffling headphones. He says its because I snore but I've never heard it. Everyone else agrees with him. They say I rattle the windows. Even the sleep lab people said that, although I don't have sleep apnea or anything, I do snore. I think it's a plot. He suggests that my snoring is why the cat periodically gets up on the bed at night and bats my face. I think they are all exaggerating. I sleep fine and don't hear it. ;)

(If sleeping were an Olympic class sport, my family would be a famous athletic dynasty.)

I have to work really diligently at my sleep hygiene. I've slept separately from my partner for over 20 years. Another of the many things I do is use ear plugs.

https://smile.amazon.com/Macks-Seals-Dual-Purpose-Earplugs/dp/B01IPN8QVI/

71jeCfL6UOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I'll take an oxide version (no research - there it was cheaper) on exercise days. Usually.
    Preferable before bed since I'll get leg cramps usually, but usually forget until I'm getting them, then take it.
    Seems to ingest quickly since I can get back to bed after fighting them for awhile.
    I'll have to take before bed and note any change to falling asleep.

Blood tests have always shown it in the average desired zone - but while that may be true, I must need more since it does work.

So one of those cases your body could be in the desired avg range - but that range isn't actually right for you for whatever reason.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hubby's sleep greatly improved once he started wearing muffling headphones. He says its because I snore but I've never heard it. Everyone else agrees with him. They say I rattle the windows. Even the sleep lab people said that, although I don't have sleep apnea or anything, I do snore. I think it's a plot. He suggests that my snoring is why the cat periodically gets up on the bed at night and bats my face. I think they are all exaggerating. I sleep fine and don't hear it. ;)

(If sleeping were an Olympic class sport, my family would be a famous athletic dynasty.)

I have to work really diligently at my sleep hygiene. I've slept separately from my partner for over 20 years. Another of the many things I do is use ear plugs.

I have such trouble sleeping. I can't do earplugs, they make me feel pressure in my ears. I have TMJ. I grind my teeth, but I can't keep mouthguards in at night. I try to wear eye coverings because I wake up with my eyes super dry.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I have such trouble sleeping. I can't do earplugs, they make me feel pressure in my ears. I have TMJ. I grind my teeth, but I can't keep mouthguards in at night. I try to wear eye coverings because I wake up with my eyes super dry.

I grind my teeth too. My dentist made me a mouth guard that worked great until I lost it :(

Then I tried some over the counter and settled on these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DenTek-Comfort-Fit-Dental-Guard-Kit-For-Nighttime-Teeth-Grinding/10312788

These are not the kind you have to boil to shape - the one I tried of those tasted TERRIBLE!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    My wife is active in the Fibromyalgia (support) community. Most with Fibro take magnesium both orally and spray it on muscles. My wife finds it's better as a topical but also takes it orally. I've taken orally and not felt much of an effect.

As a topical, they dissolve magnesium crystals in water and put it in a spray bottle. (Magnesium Citrate commonly). There is another version that doesn't sting/burn as much when it goes on but I forget what that one is called.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I've taken it regularly for years for bone health, plus calcium and D. Calcium supplementation got some bad press so my doctor had me cut back on that and increase D. This was with no testing for deficiencies, it's basically just a hopeful preventative measure because I'm very high risk for osteoporosis.

No impact on the anxiety that came on with menopause. (No impact on any menopause symptoms, although sometimes it's touted for those)
    No impact on chronic insomnia.
    No appreciable effect whatsoever. My bone density is decent so maybe it's doing its job there.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    How about for energy levels. Anyone have any evidence it could help with chronic fatigue?
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    How about for energy levels. Anyone have any evidence it could help with chronic fatigue?

It gives me fatigue to be honest