How do you celebrate without food?

Today, I got a raise and my boyfriend said I should get some ice cream or something to celebrate. However, I am trying to break the habit of always celebrating with food because I am an optimist and can always find something to be excited about. That lead us to a brainstorming session on how we can find other ways to celebrate exciting moments in our lives.

Here were some ideas we had:
  • Have a pampering night with a fun face mask
  • Buy a new body wash
  • Get a new purse
  • Have a dance party
  • Rent a movie

What are some others?

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Maybe do an activity together? More difficult during COVID but things like:

- going for a hike
    - Exploring a neighbourhood by foot or by bike (if rent-a-bikes are available in the area)
    - If you live by water, renting a kayak or one of those pedal-boats depending on what’s available for an outing
    - Taking an exciting fitness class together, I recently started aerial yoga. I’m sure there are other experience type classes you might enjoy.
    - Indoor rock climbing
    - Go to an indoor trampoline park
    - Visit a museum or art gallery
    - Day spa or overnight spa visit

Some of the rewards I’ve given myself this year include:
    - Bluetooth headphones
    - A Big Spend at Lush (soaps etc)
    - New pyjamas
    - Aerial yoga class

Other items on my list are:
    - scented candle from Rituals (my favourite but pricy)
    - New watch
    - New slippers

Basically any item I want I save to use as a reward. I keep a running note in my phone and then write a date next to it when I reward myself so I can look back and remember it. I don’t have to tick off rewards in order though and I don’t have a set range of every 5 or 10 kg, it’s more of a “when the opportunity presents itself” situation.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    my husband got a raise recently and we celebrated in a way we never have before - by adding a little more each month to our savings. that made us happy, but it's not very celebratory.

how about these?

go for a walk somewhere wonderful
    buy some audio books you'll enjoy, and start listening
    buy some kindle books from one of your favorite authors
    rent 3 of your favorite movies and make a night of it
    listen to your favorite music while lying in a bubble bath, then have your BF give you a massage

it probably wouldn't work for most people, but depending on the raise, i might buy a new bass or bass gear or fitness equipment to celebrate :smile:
  • Chrisjbrawn
    Chrisjbrawn Posts: 28 Member
    Congratulations personally I would head out for a nice walk with the kids. Then head to a Play centre
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Covid has really restricted what we can do, but under normal circumstances, I'd opt for an experience over accumulating more stuff:
    -Go to a park for a picnic
    -Take a class (online or in person) for a skill you've been interested in
    -Get your nails done
    -Buy concert or play tickets
    -Go to adult night at a museum
    -A spa day
    -A nice hair cut/dye job

Other options:
    -New kitchen utensils - good knives are the best
    -Enlist your boyfriend's help in painting a bland room
    -Get some craft materials for knitting, notebook-making, etc.
    -Buy a board game or fancy puzzle to kill time in quarantine
    -If you're into vinyl, get a new album
    -New nail polish or other beauty products
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Some couple celebrations my husband and I like:

* Take a walk
    * Buy a piece of art/home decorative item together
    * Get matching tattoos (this is a high commitment tier, advance with caution!)
    * Wander around IKEA doing imaginary home decoration
    * Plan a mini-film festival for movies we've been meaning to see and/or old favorites
    * Couples massage
    * Tickets to a sporting event (not now, but you know, in normal times)

I have to say, I love the suggestion from @MaltedTea for the satin-robed stock research session.

Congratulations on your raise!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    i've really been thinking about this thread. i think the best ways to celebrate something are personal - i bet no one else on this thread would love to get a short scale stingray bass, but i'd be thrilled. and then i could celebrate that raise or event over and over by playing that bass.

so celebrate with something you love that makes you excited and happy. whether that's a walk, spiffy face scrub, a museum trip, a new desk, audio books, a spa day, buying a purse, an exercise bike or getting your nails done, it's all about making you feel celebrated!

btw, congrats on your raise :)
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    I generally celebrate things by getting myself something I have wanted or to get more of what I enjoy or something to go along with it.

So, for example, I may buy more horseback riding lessons or pay for a horse show. Maybe an extra trackday on the bike I wasn't planning on at a favorite track. Super special would be a trip someplace (covid aside of course).
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Love these suggestions! They are super helpful because I'm such a happy eater... when I feel excited I eat. Maybe because in the moment, I am feeling so optimistic that I'm not thinking about fitness goals.

I'll definitely be putting more in savings each month but maybe I'll splurge and buy something this weekend along with a fun activity.
  • breefoshee

“Food is not the meaning behind this holiday/celebration/party/gathering. You will be spending wonderful time with your friends. You care about them. You want to catch up with them. You want to hear about their lives, their struggles, and their happiness. You want to connect with them. You want to show your affection and love towards them. You want your presence to be a good thing in their lives.”

So true. At events, I often have to remind myself that I am not there for the food. I am there because I value people-- I can eat anytime.
  • breefoshee
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Raises mean new/increased investment opps for me 🤷🏿‍♀️

* Go house (window) shopping on a nice drive together

But if you're compelled to spend cash now...

* Buy two copies of WSJ or FT and two Hugh Hefner type bathrobes (aka silk n satin everywhere) then discuss the markets while reading the papers in a dimly lit room. End the night buying at LEAST one share of something. Or at least a new ETF if you're not into the stock market.

Move over Hugh! Satin Robe, here I come!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    breefoshee wrote: »
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Raises mean new/increased investment opps for me 🤷🏿‍♀️

* Go house (window) shopping on a nice drive together

But if you're compelled to spend cash now...

* Buy two copies of WSJ or FT and two Hugh Hefner type bathrobes (aka silk n satin everywhere) then discuss the markets while reading the papers in a dimly lit room. End the night buying at LEAST one share of something. Or at least a new ETF if you're not into the stock market.

Move over Hugh! Satin Robe, here I come!

What ever you decide on (or if you chose 'em all), enjoy the moments. And, kudos on this raise!!
  • thakurhimanshi815
    thakurhimanshi815 Posts: 10 Member
    All your suggestions are very good
    We have a lot more things that we can do, like
    -Buy a new pair of lifters
    -A mini road trip to a cool gym we've been wanting to try.
    -A talk by a motivational speaker or author that inspires you.
    -Play a favorite game together