Keto and Cholesterol

Options
Do some people do better than others on keto as far a cholesterol? I was on keto and my cholesterol went way up. I know other people who don't ever have an issue with it on keto.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    jdh419 wrote: »
    Do some people do better than others on keto as far a cholesterol? I was on keto and my cholesterol went way up. I know other people who don't ever have an issue with it on keto.

Sounds like you answered your own question. You know some people who have done better than you have on keto as far as cholesterol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2020
    Options

Of course there is variations. I think the question is, by what do you mean in terms of cholesterol? Are we talking total cholesterol, hdl, ldl, crp, fasting glucose, etc...? Also, with or without weight loss?
  • jdh419
    jdh419 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Of course there is variations. I think the question is, by what do you mean in terms of cholesterol? Are we talking total cholesterol, hdl, ldl, crp, fasting glucose, etc...? Also, with or without weight loss?

Lemo , Total cholesterol with weight loss.
  • jdh419
    jdh419 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Sounds like you answered your own question. You know some people who have done better than you have on keto as far as cholesterol.

Lynn,

Not really though. I was curious if it's age, gender, genetics, etc. Thought someone might know.
  • Dayannahernandez30
    Dayannahernandez30 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was on keto for 3 month I feel so sick all the time with no energy and heart palpitations since then still with the palpitations like I’m gonna have a heart attack with high blood pressure.. I’m 35 years
  • Dayannahernandez30
    Dayannahernandez30 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol too because my body produce the bad one
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I was on keto for 3 month I feel so sick all the time with no energy and heart palpitations since then still with the palpitations like I’m gonna have a heart attack with high blood pressure.. I’m 35 years
    Its possible that was electrolyte issues.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Lemo , Total cholesterol with weight loss.

Total cholesterol is generally a poor evaluator. If you raise good cholesterol, you will raise total cholesterol.

From my experience, my HDL doubled, my LDL did go up a little, my fasting glucose dropped a bit (mine was already good), and i still had a good CRP. Also, my RHR and blood pressure have dropped (both were good before). My RMR went from upper 60s to mid 50s, my BP went from 110/70 to 105/60.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Do you know how to tell if your electrolytes are off?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Do you know how to tell if your electrolytes are off?

Generally, if you feel like crap, that is a good indicator. If you start to feel that way, consume a very high sodium meal to see if that improves symptoms.