Am I doing too much exercise

2»

Replies

• speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    @sofrances - wanted to talk to you about the head rushes - have you ever taken your blood pressure after one of those dizzy spells? Your blood pressure may be too low. Certainly worth discussing with your doctor. Please take it from one who learned the hard way - those dizzy spells can be dangerous. I fainted from one and fell flat against the hard wood floor. Smashed my glasses, had a huge black eye, swollen cheek and a mild concussion. Don't let that happen to you.
  • sofrances
    sofrances Posts: 156 Member
    @sofrances, have you seen the Joe Rogan/ Matthew Walker interview? Fascinating. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwaWilO_Pig&list=FLEAWwHjMeZOD70TP0dp6fzQ&index=30

I haven't seen that. I'll take a look, thanks 😊
  • sofrances
    edited August 2020
    speyerj wrote: »
    @sofrances - wanted to talk to you about the head rushes - have you ever taken your blood pressure after one of those dizzy spells? Your blood pressure may be too low. Certainly worth discussing with your doctor. Please take it from one who learned the hard way - those dizzy spells can be dangerous. I fainted from one and fell flat against the hard wood floor. Smashed my glasses, had a huge black eye, swollen cheek and a mild concussion. Don't let that happen to you.

I had my blood pressure checked a few weeks ago and it was described as "perfect", although I can't remember the number. Of course, that wasn't during one of these dizzy spells.

I'm definitely giving serious consideration to talking to my doctor about it though.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I add my exercise to my day. I walk my dog - total around an hour. l make a real effort to walk at work (which I went to work) - now I walk at lunch instead.

Anyway, an hour or more of walking 7 days a week. I actually consciously use it to think and plan as well as relax, so it's not wasted time. I've been maintaining for maybe six years?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    sofrances wrote: »

I had my blood pressure checked a few weeks ago and it was described as "perfect", although I can't remember the number. Of course, that wasn't during one of these dizzy spells.

I'm definitely giving serious consideration to talking to my doctor about it though.

Has anyone ever mentioned the possibility of orthostatic hypotension a.k.a. postural hypotension? That's a situation where your blood pressure might be normal on a regular test, but it drops when you stand up quickly (or some similar movement). It can cause fainting. Talk to your doctor.
  • sofrances
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    sofrances wrote: »

Has anyone ever mentioned the possibility of orthostatic hypotension a.k.a. postural hypotension? That's a situation where your blood pressure might be normal on a regular test, but it drops when you stand up quickly (or some similar movement). It can cause fainting. Talk to your doctor.

Will do. Thanks.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    The recommendation for health is 45 minutes of moderate intensity 5 days a week. Anything beyond that is personal preference. As Janejellyroll said above, the important part of exercise in maintenance is consistency. Maintenance is about finding the balance of calories in and calories out that you can sustain over the long term. It is individual to each person. If you feel your routine is taking too much time, so you don't have time for other activities you would prefer, then it is time to change it.

+1