Weight loss stall - 1 week in!

Options
Hi all

I am very overweight (>100lbs) and all my diets in the past have involved some severe calorie restriction. I've had short term success loosing quickly & very reliably, but of course piled it all back on and much more when I couldn't sustain it for more than a few months.

Hoping to do it properly for once, a little under 2 weeks ago I embarked on a plan of eating very clean (veges, grains, vegetarian proteins, bit of fruit), around 1200 kcals during the week and 1600-1800 at the weekend (for sustainability), for an overage of about 1400 kcals per day (this should be a good deficit for someone my weight). I hoped to loose 1kg per week, after the initial high loss period. I am normally very sedentary so I started with a bit of exercise twice a week.

First week went well - lost reliably in the week (pretty much 0.5kgs per day - I'm well aware this is all just water from glycogen stores but at least it shows I'm creating a deficit) and didn't gain it back at weekend.

Second week I've lost nothing. I've been doing 1200 kcals for the past 4 days and I'm actually 0.4kgs up from my low of last week! Each of the last 5 days weigh ins I've either lost nothing or increased a bit (like 0.1kg). I know many people will say don't weigh every day, give it a couple weeks, stalls happen etc - but I am normally able to lose consistently, and yes stalls happen but normally after like 6 weeks not 1-2 weeks! With daily weigh ins I might expect a day or two of not loosing due to water retention but not 5!

What could be going on?? My scales seem fine. Of course I will keep at it for a while but I really don't know what to do if 1200 kcals is not enough for me to loose weight. I know all too well that I have messed up my metabolism a little bit from poor dieting in the past, that's part of the big weight regains, but there's no way someone my size doesn't have a BMR well above 1200-1400 ... Surely?!

I feel so perplexed and disheartened.

Replies

• Hattifattener89
    Hattifattener89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    And just to add incase you are wondering - I'm not guessing at kcals, absolutely everything is weighed, measured and logged.
  • Hattifattener89
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I will try and be patient and see where I am in a couple weeks. It's just frustrating because I know I do normally loose most in the initial weeks, and the of course it gradually flattens off over time. Maybe I'll post an update in this thread to see if there are any other ideas if things haven't moved.

To Igfrie who mentioned about MFP goals, I did do that already - it gives me 1450, I changed it to 1430 for no other reason than that was my past MFP goal and I wanted to keep it consistent, and my average over the past 7 days is 1412.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you. In my previous weight loss attempts I've always lost 5-6lbs in the first week. This time I didn't. It was disheartening. It's going slower this time, and I don't really know why. I am putting it down to my age maybe, being in my 30's maybe I'm not losing as much/ quickly as I would when I tried in my 20's. But who knows? Bodies are strange.

I think the only thing to do is just keep at it - you know that you are doing everything right, so it WILL come off, you just need to give your body some time. I have now lost a good amount in my first month... true, it's what I previously would have lost in my first week of a diet... but it's still a loss, so I know it's working, it's just taking a while.

Focus on your loss over 4-6 weeks rather than the first fortnight. Give it some time. Good luck :)
  • Hattifattener89
    Options
    Thanks Spyro - I'm in my 30s now too. It's good to hear you went on to have a good loss in the first month anyway. Let's hope it's not just age or by our 50's we'll need to be eating negative calories to maintain ;)

Thanks to everyone one for replying, I'll take the advice and be more patient!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You mentioned working out also. Are you doing cardio or weights or both? Lifting weights will cause DOMS and additional water retention especially when you first start as many of us are more sore in the beginning as our bodies adjust to the new normal.

Give it time, keep doing what you’re doing. I panic if I weigh daily, so I force myself to only weigh on Saturday before breakfast. If daily weighing works for you, do it. If it’s going to cause you to doubt yourself, switch to weekly.

I recommend measuring yourself also. I measure once a week on Wednesdays. Last week I lost less than a lb and I was discouraged. I measured on Wednesday and had lost 1.5 inches on my massive hips and .5 inches on my waist, so even though the scale didn’t move much, I can see that my body is indeed shrinking. 😁
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options

It’s not age. There are a lot of people here who have lost weight in their 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s. I myself lost over 1/2 by body weight at age 60. All it takes is eating less calories than your body burns, consistency, determination, perseverance and the will to succeed. It’s not easier, or harder at any age.

Well, of course it's true that you can lose at any age, but I think there is something to be said for having a higher metabolism when you are young and it maybe being easier or quicker to shift the pounds.

I have heard quite a few people say they used to be able to lose weight faster when they were younger, for whatever reason.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,915 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    You mentioned working out also. Are you doing cardio or weights or both? Lifting weights will cause DOMS and additional water retention especially when you first start as many of us are more sore in the beginning as our bodies adjust to the new normal.

Give it time, keep doing what you’re doing. I panic if I weigh daily, so I force myself to only weigh on Saturday before breakfast. If daily weighing works for you, do it. If it’s going to cause you to doubt yourself, switch to weekly.

I recommend measuring yourself also. I measure once a week on Wednesdays. Last week I lost less than a lb and I was discouraged. I measured on Wednesday and had lost 1.5 inches on my massive hips and .5 inches on my waist, so even though the scale didn’t move much, I can see that my body is indeed shrinking. 😁

Yes, when I started lifting weights again my scale went up 7 pounds!

But thanks to having read about this here I didn't freak out about it, and it came off, plus more, over the next few weeks.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think it is fine to weigh daily if you like that, I do! I'd suggest you use a trending app such as happy scale or libra. I'm one that loses and then jumps up for 5-6 days. This month I was the same weight on 8/11 and 8/23 with the numbers jumping up between those dates. Then I lost 2 lbs...which puts me on track for my 2-3lbs/month. I could see in the trending app that I was still losing at the rate I wanted. I like the data I have by weighing daily and don't get hung up on the ups and downs. Good luck.