Weight loss stall - 1 week in!

Options
2»

Replies

• catmama256
    catmama256 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was told by my bariatric Dr a stall isn't a true stall until there's been no weight loss for at LEAST three weeks so I'm puzzled how you can determine it's a stall at 1 week? Maybe I missed something
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    catmama256 wrote: »
    I was told by my bariatric Dr a stall isn't a true stall until there's been no weight loss for at LEAST three weeks so I'm puzzled how you can determine it's a stall at 1 week? Maybe I missed something

Yes. That has been established.

Not everyone has a bariatric doctor who has prepared them for this.

Obviously you didn't know that at some point in your life, right?
  • FitAsaFalafel
    FitAsaFalafel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    srk369 wrote: »
    I think it is fine to weigh daily if you like that, I do! I'd suggest you use a trending app such as happy scale or libra. I'm one that loses and then jumps up for 5-6 days. This month I was the same weight on 8/11 and 8/23 with the numbers jumping up between those dates. Then I lost 2 lbs...which puts me on track for my 2-3lbs/month. I could see in the trending app that I was still losing at the rate I wanted. I like the data I have by weighing daily and don't get hung up on the ups and downs. Good luck.

Totally agree...here’s my last 30 days of weigh-ins visually showing the ups/downs/trend.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »

It’s not age. There are a lot of people here who have lost weight in their 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s. I myself lost over 1/2 by body weight at age 60. All it takes is eating less calories than your body burns, consistency, determination, perseverance and the will to succeed. It’s not easier, or harder at any age.

Well, of course it's true that you can lose at any age, but I think there is something to be said for having a higher metabolism when you are young and it maybe being easier or quicker to shift the pounds.

I have heard quite a few people say they used to be able to lose weight faster when they were younger, for whatever reason.

People say all kinds of things. Maybe especially things that make them feel better? That would be understandable.

I'm another who lost weight just fine, at age 59-60 - while severely hypothyroid BTW (but properly medicated) - once the switch flipped in my brain and I committed to accomplishing it; and I've maintained fine for 4+ years since since, after around 3 previous decades of obesity. Some issues become more statistically likely at later ages, but weight loss and fitness improvement still follow the same basic mechanisms, at any age.

Most of the perceived "age difference" is reduced daily activity (not just exercise, but all-source activity), and muscle loss (which happens with aging if no attempt to counter it, and is magnified by inactive overall lifestyle). Decades of repeated bad yo-yo dieting are also likely to worsen later life results.

Go to a BMR/TDEE calculator that will let you input body fat %, and see how much difference age makes at constant body fat percent (for this, just guess at the percent). (Sailrabbit says zero difference in BMR or TDEE, for me at age 20 vs. 64 - the latter my actual age - at constant body fat percent). Yes, to some extent this is a statistical effect, but it has a basis in reality.

As the early replies said, the OP is over-reacting, too soon. Ups and downs on the scale are the nature of the process. Key factors: Patience and trusting the process (which includes making changes, but only when there's a long enough period of experiential data to do it smartly).

Logistically, the process is pretty simple. Psychologically, it isn't always easy.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    spyro88 wrote: »

It’s not age. There are a lot of people here who have lost weight in their 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s. I myself lost over 1/2 by body weight at age 60. All it takes is eating less calories than your body burns, consistency, determination, perseverance and the will to succeed. It’s not easier, or harder at any age.

Well, of course it's true that you can lose at any age, but I think there is something to be said for having a higher metabolism when you are young and it maybe being easier or quicker to shift the pounds.

I have heard quite a few people say they used to be able to lose weight faster when they were younger, for whatever reason.

By that reasoning if it's relatively easy for me in my 60's then it must be a total walk in the park for you at half my age.

Yes there are reasons why things are harder at certain points in your life but age really is a tiny factor.
    I had a ridiculous excuse why it was harder for me than other people, lost the excuse and lost the weight.....

These vibes ❤️