60 yrs and up

Replies

• aripanda1
    aripanda1 Posts: 1 Member
    63 yo male. 6 feet, 238.6 pounds. Need and want to lose weight for a variety of reasons. Would like steady, long-lasting weight loss so I can be a lot healthier moving forward. I haven’t been under 200 pounds since the Spring of ‘93, when I graduated with my MSW from BC. Looking for support and accountability, as well as tips and different strategies. Would be happy to offer support and accountability to others.
  • nfll406
    nfll406 Posts: 30 Member
    New here. Seems like a lot to remember to do. Am 61. Looking for inspiration and motivation! Ranch in remote country. Have worked hard my whole life and need to get about 30 lbs off my poor tired, hurting, overworked joints.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    nfll406 wrote: »
    New here. Seems like a lot to remember to do. Am 61. Looking for inspiration and motivation! Ranch in remote country. Have worked hard my whole life and need to get about 30 lbs off my poor tired, hurting, overworked joints.

Welcome! You may want to try some gentle yoga. It will be soothing on those tired bones and joints.🧘🏼‍♀️🧘🏻🧘‍♂️
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    aripanda1 wrote: »
    63 yo male. 6 feet, 238.6 pounds. Need and want to lose weight for a variety of reasons. Would like steady, long-lasting weight loss so I can be a lot healthier moving forward. I haven’t been under 200 pounds since the Spring of ‘93, when I graduated with my MSW from BC. Looking for support and accountability, as well as tips and different strategies. Would be happy to offer support and accountability to others.

Welcome Ari. MSW here too😀. Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,195 Member
    @aripanda1 I am new here too. Have been struggling to get back on track amidst the "new normal" of coronavirus. With so much distancing and loss of things I used to do, I am finding that I really need the support of a group that shares what I am trying to do.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 155 Member
    @jan110144 Welcome! I know what works form me too- swimming. I joined a Y in February and they closed in March. I wanted to be build strength in my core and upper body and increase my range of motion all without hurting myself. I've been using exercise DVD's (Jessica Smith's 6 week plan) that uses hand weights and walking. Yesterday I went on an 8.5 mile heck of a hike. I'm feeling pretty good today, nothing is sore, haven't found any ticks, just a few bug bites. These times have pushed me to try something different but it's always important to do what works for you.
  • jan110144
    @tnh2o Welcome! I know what works form me too- swimming. I joined a Y in February and they closed in March. I wanted to be build strength in my core and upper body and increase my range of motion all without hurting myself. I've been using exercise DVD's (Jessica Smith's 6 week plan) that uses hand weights and walking. Yesterday I went on an 8.5 mile heck of a hike. I'm feeling pretty good today, nothing is sore, haven't found any ticks, just a few bug bites. These times have pushed me to try something different but it's always important to do what works for you.

8.5 miles!! Good for you! I am trying hard right now to focus on what I DO have. Not what I am missing. I am realky so much more fortunate than others as I still have my horse to ride and my new pup to walk. As I live alone, I struggle a bit with more social activities, but I am still more fortunate than others.

Definitely a time to focus on what you have and can do, not on your losses since it looks lie we are, at best, only half way through this.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) Building new habits takes time and patience. I have been doing this for awhile so I have some pretty good habits in place. Take baby steps. Make small changes, then make some more. Focus on what you are doing today and don't focus on the long term.

:) I walk every morning no matter what the weather. It is non negotiable for me. I have the right clothing and the right shoes for any kind of weather and I lay my clothes out the night before so they are ready for me when I get up.

:) I drink a lot of water using a schedule and keep track.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • tnh2o
    It was a looooooong 8.5 miles. Hot and some sections of the trail had a grade of 25-30%.
  • jan110144
    @tnh2o That is impressive. You must be in great shape!
  • tnh2o
    After the hike one of my friends said she wished she were in better shape. I said: "Don't we always?" I'm pleased I'm not in worse shape. I judge the difficulty of a hike by how I feel on the two days after. I've been on easier hikes that have left me feeling ridden hard and put up wet. This one didn't. I give credit to the Jessica Smith DVD's I've been using - kind of like cross training for me. BTW, the two friends that went with me are 70 and 73.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Welcome to all the new members in this thread. It's hard to get started on losing weight and bettering your health. I found the support and logging here were very helpful. Kept me on track when things got tough.

Working on losing the last 10-15 pounds now. Add me as a friend if you like. Always happy to share support and encouragement.

Awesome hike, @tnh2o. Keep that up! Most of my companions will do shorter hikes, but I seem to be the only one who wants to go 5 to 10 miles.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    edited September 2020
    My goals for this month to lose at least 3lbs if not 4 nice and steady then I should keep them off.
    Reduce and alcohol it's easier in the winter, more hot chocolate (low calorie) instead. Persist with green teas supposed to be good (still think its yuk) Exercise at least 4 times a week.
  • cathyb60
    cathyb60 Posts: 302 Member
    My goal for Sept. would be to check in,track my food, and participate on a daily basis. been trying to do this on my own and it's not working!
  • cjbenson2015
    cjbenson2015 Posts: 2 Member
    62 and cross fitting to stay mobile and riding my horses....it's not an easy journey but easier with friends...down 10 and 20 more to go or so...lol...I have used MFP since 2015 off and on but have never gotten involved in the community...with covid and being locked down thought I'd reach out to see if I could find anyone to keep me accountable and to share the journey with!
  • tnh2o
    @alteredsteve175 I'm going backpacking later this month and I think a couple of the guys are 80 or close to it. I'm hoping I can keep up.
  • kazzabum1
    kazzabum1 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I'm over 60, found out I had developed diabetes type 2 and now have lost 37 lbs but I still have a long way to go but I'm finding that my weight is plateauing and consequently I'm not as motivated as I was 6 months ago, any suggestions friends?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) Motivation is a strange thing. If you have some good habits, stick with them. Try reading more about health to remind you that your life depends on continuing with your good habits. Don't focus on how far you have to go, take life one day at a time. Surround yourself on MFP with like minded people and keep your distance from people who don't support your new lifestyle.

<3 Barbie
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    kazzabum1 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm over 60, found out I had developed diabetes type 2 and now have lost 37 lbs but I still have a long way to go but I'm finding that my weight is plateauing and consequently I'm not as motivated as I was 6 months ago, any suggestions friends?

Keep eating healthy, exercise and logging food, add friends to help keep motivated and you will see results my husband had diabetes, it's a long road but worth it.