60 yrs and up

Replies

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,195 Member
    @cjbenson2015
    62 and cross fitting to stay mobile and riding my horses....it's not an easy journey but easier with friends...down 10 and 20 more to go or so...lol...I have used MFP since 2015 off and on but have never gotten involved in the community...with covid and being locked down thought I'd reach out to see if I could find anyone to keep me accountable and to share the journey with!

would love to be accountable with you. Will try to send you a a friend request. I also ride and have a hair over 20 to lose. (A home remodel followed by coronavirus did me in!!)
  • jan110144
    cathyb60 wrote: Β»
    My goal for Sept. would be to check in,track my food, and participate on a daily basis. been trying to do this on my own and it's not working!

For me. Some sort of support is really important. Keep coming back and reporting in.
  • MiaBella444
    MiaBella444 Posts: 39 Member
    Hi, I'm over 60, found out I had developed diabetes type 2 and now have lost 37 lbs but I still have a long way to go but I'm finding that my weight is plateauing and consequently I'm not as motivated as I was 6 months ago, any suggestions friends?

Its hard when the scale doesn't change. I keep at the food diary and try to see the weight loss as a perk to eating healthier and keeping my sodium down. I know I need to lose 20 pounds but I have decided not to be anxious or in a hurry about it. I have been here 45 days with the diary. My weight slowly is creeping down but the biggest thing is is is not going up and I know my sodium levels are way down.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 155 Member
    @kazzabum1 What's the alternative to sticking with it? I have to remind myself of that daily. For me the alternative is keeping the extra pounds and making the things I enjoy more difficult, adding extra wear and tear on my joints, overall impacting negatively on my health. I'm fairly new to this plan and weeks 2-4 were a plateau. Then a few weeks of losses.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,191 Member
    sc1b2igi311s.jpg
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited September 2020
    Hi, I'm over 60, found out I had developed diabetes type 2 and now have lost 37 lbs but I still have a long way to go but I'm finding that my weight is plateauing and consequently I'm not as motivated as I was 6 months ago, any suggestions friends?

You might find it helpful to take a diet break for a couple of weeks. Hormones can get out of whack when you are on a long term calorie restriction. Eating a lot of carbs and eating at maintenance can help to reset your hormone levels. The mental aspect is also a factor of a break from the restriction is also helpful for some people.

You have to decide if you can take a break and go back to your calorie restriction in a couple of weeks. I did it and found it helpful, even though I did gain some weight. I had been eating very low carbs for 9 months and had plateaued at about 45 pounds lost. Adding carbs back into the plan caused some weight gain, but I have lost another 15 pounds since then.

The theory and lots of personal experiences in this thread below. Most of the relevant information is in the first two pages.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member

:) I went to your profile page hoping to see your food and exercise diary to see if I could make any suggestions.

• Lynne4RH
    Lynne4RH Posts: 13 Member
    Good morning, and hope everyone is well enough. It has been awhile since I posted. I have been feeling "stuck" for a long time. However, I am motivated to change and so I logged into MFP for the first time in a long time. This week, my goal is to keep it simple. I came up with the following:

1 - Track what I eat. I'm not going to get bogged down just yet on numbers or nutritional value as much as the practice of documenting my food intake.

2 - Water. I am going to make a goal to drink at least eight, 8-oz glasses of water each day.

3 - Exercise. I am going to practice "casual" exercise for this week and let it grow from there. Dance in the moment, walk short distances and feel the sunlight....move this ole body somehow and some way to warm it up to formal exercise at some point. I would like to do this each day but I am fighting an infection and am on antibiotics, so I tire easily. However, going to give it my best...

4 - Start my day with prayer and bible study. Right now, I'm working a study given to me by a friend called "Tuesday's Journal" by Penny Bailey and Laura K. Roland. Come October though, I hope to join up with First Place 4 Health bible study online.

5 - Read Dr. Ian Smith's book called "Mind Over Weight." I'm reading it sometimes a paragraph at a time, a chapter, a page, etc. There's a lot of good information in it. I think this one will be a keeper and I'll go back to it again and again.

Those are my "High 5s" for the rest of September. It is a fluid list and may change.

I am sharing this to be accountable, but to also encourage and hope it will inspire others to also not give up but to keep trying and let's do this together...

Blessings,

Lynne #4
  • alteredsteve175
    Hey, all you seasoned citizens! Hope you're having a good holiday. I'm using the off day to catch up on some work. Getting a head start on the week without the usual interruptions. Walking the dog later today, 'cause some things never change! πŸ•πŸšΆβ€β™‚οΈπŸ”₯
  • jan110144
    Hey, all you seasoned citizens! Hope you're having a good holiday. I'm using the off day to catch up on some work. Getting a head start on the week without the usual interruptions. Walking the dog later today, 'cause some things never change! πŸ•πŸšΆβ€β™‚οΈπŸ”₯

Walking the dog is my guarantee of a minimum if 30 minutes a day (twice a day if she does not have other dog play opportunities.) I have a 5 month old puppy and you skip the walk at great peril!
  • alteredsteve175

Walking the dog is my guarantee of a minimum if 30 minutes a day (twice a day if she does not have other dog play opportunities.) I have a 5 month old puppy and you skip the walk at great peril!

Agreed, Jan. One of the pros when I decided to get a puppy was the added exercise that I would get. The part I forgot - it's added exercise every day. HAHA! 😁

What type of puppy do you have, Jan?
  • annliz23
    r5havee2bhdi.jpg
    What happened I blinked and the week had flown by!
  • alteredsteve175
    Have an awesome weekend, my friends.

Platelet donation on Sunday. Hopefully some food prep over the weekend. Got some steak marinating for jerky now, so will dry that tomorrow. Need to spend some time with my granddaughter.

What's on your agenda for the next few days!
  • annliz23

Platelet donation on Sunday. Hopefully some food prep over the weekend. Got some steak marinating for jerky now, so will dry that tomorrow. Need to spend some time with my granddaughter.

Sounds like a good weekend planned.
    Mine is a sleepover with my daughter and granddaughter!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    We might go to a 5th grade football game if not raining. (& I get up in time, lol)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Rowed (on water) today, in a double (two person sculling shell), plan to go again tomorrow if weather allows. (Rowing club finally opened for rowing in groups - we're still mostly 6 feet plus apart, outdoors, masked when on land with more people, but it's safer to be on the water when
    there are others in the vicinity, y'know, vs. totally alone on the river. This is a really small rowing club!)

At this very moment, I'm taking a little break from prepping some veggies for roasting: A yummy big heirloom Winter squash that will be mashed and go in the freezer, a big spaghetti squash for eating over the next few days, some onions (my neighbor gave me 13 pounds of onions!), and the last of some potatoes I got from a local producer a while back. After all of that is done, I'll roast the squash seeds with a chili powder and popcorn salt, using just enough olive oil so the powdery seasonings will stick. (So good!)

I finished dividing/repotting my few orchids, but I still have a few more regular houseplants that could use repotting before Winter, and I want to try propagating a tropical pitcher plant (via cuttings) and maybe some other houseplants. Another grow-y experiment I may do is to plant some greens (lettuce, mesclun) in some spare foil roasting pans, to see if I can get some cut'n'come again salad ingredients that way.

We'll see how much of this actually gets done this weekend! πŸ˜†
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 155 Member
    @AnnPT77 You've reminded me of all the things I could do but instead I'm taking my kayak out tomorrow and on Sunday and Monday I'll go camping and hiking. I'll roast the eggplant, squash, garlic and tomatoes later and re-pot the aloe sometime soon. I also need to make pesto from the basil in my garden and freeze it. The pumpkin will be ready next month and the roasted seeds are wonderful. In the meantime I need a glass of wine.....
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 249 Member

Doing some major house cleaning. Getting ready to put our house up for sale. The housing market is hot right now so no better time then the present.