What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Thinking about dropping some cash and fitting out a van to live in it. The ultimate gypsy move but it makes sense in a recession. I will park by the beach and hopefully not get arrested.

There's always Walmart parking lots.
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    fstrickl wrote: »
    Thinking about dropping some cash and fitting out a van to live in it. The ultimate gypsy move but it makes sense in a recession. I will park by the beach and hopefully not get arrested.

i LOVE this idea like its a dream of mine to do this

Yeah, but would get kinda lonely and would need to find a van commune or something, would miss housemates. Still have work and uni tho...It’s really hard here now with everything closed. Like, I have the library for internet/and computer, uni+gym for showers but not at the moment. It’s illegal to be homeless but I can just lie to the government and say I live at a friend’s house. But think of all that money I’m burning by renting and it would totally be worth it. Even just for like 12-18 months!

mxyyqooh28cz.gif
    I’m here for it!

(Also it’s illegal to be homeless where you are?!?! This seems a cruel and a strange way to end homelessness).

most places in US its illegal to be homeless they just dont say it outright

like its illegal to “camp” in park or illegal to “loiter” or whatever

i was homeless for a bit like when 17/18 years old and they’d give us camping tickets if we slept somewhere like a park or bus station and THEN u got to figure out a way to pay the ticket or go to court or u end up with bench warrant for “failure to appear” which is a misdemeanor and THEN get a few of those in a place where they do “three strikes” u are facing felony charges and jail time

• brustmannzwei
    brustmannzwei Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    My 5 day weekend was interrupted this morning by having to work today. Now I I have a 4 day weekend. But, I can't complain. A buddy gave me a quart of apple pie. OMG, it's gonna be a great night.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    My 5 day weekend was interrupted this morning by having to work today. Now I I have a 4 day weekend. But, I can't complain. A buddy gave me a quart of apple pie. OMG, it's gonna be a great night.

You had to work?.. hugs my friend, thats terrible 🤗
  • brustmannzwei
    brustmannzwei Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options

You, my friend, have never had Appalachian apple pie shine. It was worth it.
  • slimgirljo15
    Options

You're Melbourne right? Good luck getting out :#
  • slimgirljo15
    Options

You, my friend, have never had Appalachian apple pie shine. It was worth it.

Sounds delicious 🤤
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options

Yeah, but would get kinda lonely and would need to find a van commune or something, would miss housemates. Still have work and uni tho...It’s really hard here now with everything closed. Like, I have the library for internet/and computer, uni+gym for showers but not at the moment. It’s illegal to be homeless but I can just lie to the government and say I live at a friend’s house. But think of all that money I’m burning by renting and it would totally be worth it. Even just for like 12-18 months!

mxyyqooh28cz.gif
    I’m here for it!

(Also it’s illegal to be homeless where you are?!?! This seems a cruel and a strange way to end homelessness).

i was homeless for a bit like when 17/18 years old and they’d give us camping tickets if we slept somewhere like a park or bus station and THEN u got to figure out a way to pay the ticket or go to court or u end up with bench warrant for “failure to appear” which is a misdemeanor and THEN get a few of those in a place where they do “three strikes” u are facing felony charges and jail time

Oh wow, that is quite honestly one of the stupidest things I’ve heard. It makes zero sense to fine someone who obviously doesn’t have means to adequate housing and therefore likely no means to disposable income for petty fines. Le sigh. What a broken system. My city had a similar experience with ticketing fare evaders on transit - like they don’t have the cash for transit so you’re going to write them a ticket that’s like 200% the cost of the bus ticket? 🤦🏻‍♀️ This kind of stuff makes me so angry when there’s folks who have excessive vehicles they’re not driving or driving infrequently and some folks can’t pay $2.50 for a bus ride.

I’m sorry you experienced homelessness! Must have been quite the time. 💛
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options

mxyyqooh28cz.gif
    I’m here for it!

Oh wow, that is quite honestly one of the stupidest things I’ve heard. It makes zero sense to fine someone who obviously doesn’t have means to adequate housing and therefore likely no means to disposable income for petty fines. Le sigh. What a broken system. My city had a similar experience with ticketing fare evaders on transit - like they don’t have the cash for transit so you’re going to write them a ticket that’s like 200% the cost of the bus ticket? 🤦🏻‍♀️ This kind of stuff makes me so angry when there’s folks who have excessive vehicles they’re not driving or driving infrequently and some folks can’t pay $2.50 for a bus ride.

i mean tbf a lot of the homeless population are addicts or mentally ill so being like “go ahead and do what u want bc u cant pay tickets” not real good option either

idk how to solve it tbh
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options

mxyyqooh28cz.gif
    I’m here for it!

i mean tbf a lot of the homeless population are addicts or mentally ill so being like “go ahead and do what u want bc u cant pay tickets” not real good option either

idk how to solve it tbh

bring back bumfights
  • ReenieHJ
    Options

mxyyqooh28cz.gif
    I’m here for it!

A happy ending for one woman sleeping in a Kroger's parking lot because she didn't have a home; they offered her a job.
    I completely agree about the broken system. :( There, to me, is a big difference between loitering and actually trying to survive. I saw a short clip where this guy had invented insulated foam huts(not overly big but could comfortably sleep in it) for homeless people to sleep in, to keep them warm during the winter. It weighs about 20 lbs, straps together easily with velcro straps, and stays warm using the person's body heat.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Been thinking about ways to make this Christmas special. I haven't seen all 3 of my kids since the holidays, except for video chats. And one of their SO's is coming too. Can't wait!!!
  • iMago
    Options
    hrichts wrote: »

mxyyqooh28cz.gif
    I’m here for it!

idk how to solve it tbh

We should try criminalizing drug use so that addicts get caught up in a hopeless cycle of being unable to help themselves but are too afraid to ask for the help they need for fear of punishment. Then if all goes as planned they will spiral which causes them to eventually lose their job, the one thing that might’ve enabled them to actually afford the ridiculously expensive and largely unattainable in-patient treatment that they can’t simply get from the healthcare system. This will get them out on the streets where jailtime will be an inevitability. THEN they’ll finally have what they need: a roof over their heads, enough to eat, social integration, maybe even an honest day’s work.

What could go wrong??

Or, y’know, maybe we could modify the existing healthcare system to make addiction treatment and recovery as attainable as well child checkups. Instead of putting our taxes toward the care and incarceration of de facto criminals, we could support them BEFORE they spiral to unchecked drug abuse and the extreme social isolation and life-threatening practices that go along with it

nope im still for bringing back Bumfights
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options

mxyyqooh28cz.gif
    I’m here for it!

idk how to solve it tbh

We should try criminalizing drug use so that addicts get caught up in a hopeless cycle of being unable to help themselves but are too afraid to ask for the help they need for fear of punishment. Then if all goes as planned they will spiral which causes them to eventually lose their job, the one thing that might’ve enabled them to actually afford the ridiculously expensive and largely unattainable in-patient treatment that they can’t simply get from the healthcare system. This will get them out on the streets where jailtime will be an inevitability. THEN they’ll finally have what they need: a roof over their heads, enough to eat, social integration, maybe even an honest day’s work.

What could go wrong??

Or, y’know, maybe we could modify the existing healthcare system to make addiction treatment and recovery as attainable as well child checkups. Instead of putting our taxes toward the care and incarceration of de facto criminals, we could support them BEFORE they spiral to unchecked drug abuse and the extreme social isolation and life-threatening practices that go along with it

There is so many crack addicts I see every day living on the streets on West Oakland on my way to work, every morning...

It's sad but the unfortunate truth is, most of them will end up right back on the streets...

Although this homeless issue wasn't as bad back when mental health services were more available...
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »

mxyyqooh28cz.gif
    I’m here for it!

idk how to solve it tbh

What could go wrong??

nope im still for bringing back Bumfights

2et6mfdks4cd.gif
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options

mxyyqooh28cz.gif
    I’m here for it!

idk how to solve it tbh

What could go wrong??

There is so many crack addicts I see every day living on the streets on West Oakland on my way to work, every morning...

It's sad but the unfortunate truth is, most of them will end up right back on the streets...

Although this homeless issue wasn't as bad back when mental health services were more available...

Yeah we need more robust mental health care too
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Reckoner69_lmao Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I need an extreme version of MFP, with an accountability structure that allowed for literal punches to the face if goals weren't met.

Not actually for fitness though (though I guess it works for that, too) but for other things.

Like a terrible SAW movie but for developing good habits
  • iMago
    Options

mxyyqooh28cz.gif
    I’m here for it!

idk how to solve it tbh

What could go wrong??

Yeah we need more robust mental health care too

https://youtu.be/vBUbJhFmTPc