Fast Food is the Devil.

Options

Replies

• shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can't quit Chick-Fil-A -- not that I can't... I just won't. I think everything is fine in moderation =) well... not everything. If you put a triple cheese burger in front of me... I wouldn't eat it. (personal preference though).

Me either, I got my free coupon for tomorrow! LOL

LOL, I got mine for this Saturday! Chicken, Egg & Cheese Bagel :) not the greatest health wise but It will be my bigger meal for the day, at least in fat, and I plan on enjoying it guilt free.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My body functions perfectly well with lots of yummy, natural fats in it. That is, in place of carbs, though.

I eat the grilled chicken from KFC about once a month and that's about it in re: fast food, though. And yes, the sodium IS killer.

There aren't a lot of "healthy natural fats" to be found in fast food.

I didn't mean that there are. I just meant that hating fast food because it's "fatty and greasy" isn't the reason to hate it: it's because it's unnatural, hydrogenated, carb-laden crap. :)
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Used to eat mcd's 3-5 times a week,mixing breakfast and lunch, sometimes both. Saw supersize me and now I rarely eat there, or any fast food for that matter. My family only eats out maybe a cpl times a month. I searched the web, read books, and mags and got some good basic recipes. Now I discovered I love to cook and am pretty darn good at it. In a perfect world I would go to culinary school. Cooking is so relaxing.
    Also, reading nutrition facts on these fast foods makes me ill. Seriously, I think if more people actually knew how to properly read that information they would never eat it. So much fat and sodium, ew. Even stuff that you would think is healthy is prepackaged, frozen crap drenched in chemicals.
    Trying a more natural way of eating and I really like it. More fresh, less frozen and canned. Fast food once in a blue moon cuz lets face it, it's yummy but so so evil.
  • shadysyrup313
    shadysyrup313 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes, sodium makes you retain water- you NEED water. Fast food is yummy! Portion sizes.
  • trueblulotus
    Options
    Since embarking on this "lifestyle change", I have had to make some big changes. I am an outside sales rep and am always in my car. Fast food used to be my easy option. Not anymore. Now I pack my lunch most days and for those days that I don't, I go to the grocery store for lunch. Lots of great options!!! In Washington we have Trader Joes and they have some of the best prepackaged salads for cheap. I scrap the dressing if its not lowfat.
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    I wish pizza would stop getting such a bad rep. I make pita pizzas (and regular crust pizzas) with loads of veggies, tomato sauce and vegan cheese. What's wrong with that?

Not all fast food is equal. Visiting, for example, Extreme Pita for some chips and hummas and a veggie pita pizza is not equal to a double bacon cheeseburger with a side of fries and a coke from McDonald's.
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The devil can only kill you if you visit him. Just sayin ...

I don't understand the fascination with fast food. Even if it were healthy, it tastes like crap and it's expensive!

i couldn't agree more...what's the big deal about that ole nasty fast food? not only is it nasty, but it is probably unsanitary as well. if u eat healthy for 30 days and go back to fast food, u'll see the difference...the fast food will make u sick. we've been brain washed into thinking that stuff is good.

8450787.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I agree with you I drink Diet caffein Pepsi. Yes I know it isn't good for me . Working on getting away from it to.I thought the other day I just have to have a Pepsi. It was not good at all never again will I waste calories and sodium for another Pepsi
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I wish pizza would stop getting such a bad rep. I make pita pizzas (and regular crust pizzas) with loads of veggies, tomato sauce and vegan cheese. What's wrong with that?

I usually qualify anything remarks I have about pizza (a big weekness for me) with "that I don't prepare". I make healthy pizza at home occasionally though I use real cheese not the processed soy stuff. But I just assume people are talking about pizzeria pizza when they slam it.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Why do people keep referring to Supersize me as if it's some kind of eye opener about how bad McDs is? If you eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, all with far bigger portions than you should, every single day, then ofc its going to do bad things to you! People really needed a documentary to tell them that? Christ...

And to people who say McDs taste horrible, gross, disgusting etc....no it doesnt. It tastes really good. See, we can all generalise.

Has anyone else noticed a marked change in the attitudes of people on these boards lately? Seems there's a holier-than-thou attitude now, like if you dont eat totally clean and wholesome, you'll get flamed. Most people on here used to eat fast food, and sure now they may have changed, but that doesnt give you the right to slag off people who still have it occasionally.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why do people keep referring to Supersize me as if it's some kind of eye opener about how bad McDs is? If you eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, all with far bigger portions than you should, every single day, then ofc its going to do bad things to you! People really needed a documentary to tell them that? Christ...

I've been saying that since it came out. Really? Someone made money making this movie? I think I missed my calling.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Remember that every. single. person. is different. You can't look into someone else's food diary, eat exactly what they eat, and expect the same results. Do what works for you! Your health is just as important as your outside appearance. Put things into your body that make it happy AND healthy =)

Take your own advice, cupcake.

So fast food doesn't work for you. Cool. It doesn't work for a lot of people. That doesn't make it the most terrible, horrible thing someone could eat. I will occasionally swing through Burger King and get a veggie burger. They're delicious and around 300 calories. To each, their own.

Is that an every day thing? Nope.
    Is me getting an order of McDonald's fries once or twice a month going to kill me? Nope.
    Is eating fast food within reason going to make me regain my weight? Nope.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I've been saying that since it came out. Really? Someone made money making this movie? I think I missed my calling.

I liked Supersize Me, but I never knew anyone took it seriously until I joined this site. I thought it was funny in a *kitten* kind of way. Some dude abusing himself for profit. It was way funnier than Fat Head.
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Remember that every. single. person. is different. You can't look into someone else's food diary, eat exactly what they eat, and expect the same results. Do what works for you! Your health is just as important as your outside appearance. Put things into your body that make it happy AND healthy =)

So fast food doesn't work for you. Cool. It doesn't work for a lot of people. That doesn't make it the most terrible, horrible thing someone could eat. I will occasionally swing through Burger King and get a veggie burger. They're delicious and around 300 calories. To each, their own.

Is me getting an order of McDonald's fries once or twice a month going to kill me? Nope.

:cry: I wasn't trying to be holier than thou. I was just saying that if you're eating fast food for every meal, and not getting the results you want, then maybe try chaning things up? But thanks for the pet name, anway. I love cupcakes.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options

:cry: I wasn't trying to be holier than thou. I was just saying that if you're eating fast food for every meal, and not getting the results you want, then maybe try chaning things up? But thanks for the pet name, anway. I love cupcakes.

First, your profile picture has to be the CUTEST baby ever. What a DOLL! Totally worth a Dr Pepper addiction.

Second, I love your original post- soooo funny! Too bad people miss humor in this place sometimes! Shame on all the meanies!

Third, yum, cupcakes!

Fourth, have I mentioned how adorable your profile pic is? whatacutie.com!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    And this is why you made a thread about processed meats. Yep bias has a way of convincing people that eating meat is bad for them.....................
  • YeBittenDog
    YeBittenDog Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's been one of my biggest demons, overcoming fast food, but once you make the choice to stop... It's beautiful.
  • LuckyGirl2422
    Options
    To get over the fast food epidemic go watch the movie "Food Inc" and "Supersize Me" you will never want to eat fast food again and definitely think twice about what you put in your body.

Definitley a good watch to both!! It really gives us a look inside at all the crap we are putting into our bodies. It's really just sad.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options

And to people who say McDs taste horrible, gross, disgusting etc....no it doesnt. It tastes really good. See, we can all generalise.

Has anyone else noticed a marked change in the attitudes of people on these boards lately? Seems there's a holier-than-thou attitude now, like if you dont eat totally clean and wholesome, you'll get flamed. Most people on here used to eat fast food, and sure now they may have changed, but that doesnt give you the right to slag off people who still have it occasionally.
    This. Let me also mention that if you're overweight it's BECAUSE YOU ATE MORE THAN YOU NEEDED TOO. Not because of McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc.
    You can eat healthy and eat no meat and be overweight. There are lots of vegetarians in the world that are. The "health police" are so amusing to me because they judge what people eat and deem them as "less than" because of it if it's not to their liking of choices.
    I'm healthier than most health nuts I know. And I eat fast food at least 2 times a week (McDonald's and Taco Bell). I don't gorge and count it as part of lifestyle. I like the taste and know that I'm not doing mental jumping jacks and freaking out that I ate a burger or taco. I feel good all the time, haven't been sick in over 3 years now and every physical is rated excellent when I go annually.
    Demonizing food for lack of will power is a great way to place blame when people can't resolve their own weight problems.
  • Reneda
    Reneda Posts: 140
    Options
    Thanks for the topic... I just submitted to the power of PizzaHut leftovers.... :-( I feel like crap now!! This post combined with my current feelings make me more determined to just say 'No" to all fast food...
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options

The thing with posts like this is that you (general "you." not "you" personally) do come off as "I know what I'm talking about and all you guys are dumb cuz you don't get it." If it were posted up in response to someone who fits that description who made a post wondering what they're doing wrong, then it works. But these kinds of overly simplistic "duh" posts are advice about stuff that you already know. "Hey, you should eat more veggies to lose weight." No, really? I did NOT know that. >.<

There's been a good number of posts in a similar vein as this lately. "Just stop watching TV." "Just stop eating fast food." It's obvious. I guess I give the MFP enough benefit of the doubt that they have a bit of common sense and don't need to be reminded of the really simple stuff. Now the general public, on the other hand, is a different story. But honestly, even then, I'm pretty confident that people don't eat sackfuls of McD's and *honestly* wonder how they got fat. Deep down, you know.

Nothing about or against you as a person. But obvious advice is obvious.