LADIES ONLY*** IUD input to switch or not to switch

Options
1235»

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I :heart: my Mirena. I have never had any issue with gaining/losing weight. I haven't heard too many positive things about Paraguard from the ladies I know who have them -- lots of issues with severe periods with heavy bleeding/cramping. But I think everyone is different.

If you are otherwise happy with Mirena, would ask you GYN about the chances of Mirena causing a woman not to be able to lose weight and specifically what those circumstance would be (like if you have some other issue). Or at the very least ask the doctor who told you it was your IUD causing you to maintain for studies supporting that idea. I cannot take any form of oral birth control because it makes me extremely moody and gain 10-20 pounds almost immediately. With Mirena I never had those types of issues. But again, bodies are very different.
  • cougra77
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm replying to this topic just to get some more info out there about switching from Mirena to Paragard. When I swapped mine out, I couldn't find much information about it.

In short, it's been way easier than I thought it would be. I expected a few months of cramps, irregular bleeding, horrendous periods, etc, and got absolutely none of that.

The switch itself was practically painless; "sounding" my uterus was more painful than either the removal or insertion. No bleeding, no cramping, and I was totally fine within minutes of the procedure.

Tried sex the next night, and it was uncomfortable whenever he came in contact with my cervix. A few days later sex was completely fine/comfortable.

First period came on the full moon instead of the new moon. It was a very normal period, just like it used to be in the days before I went on hormonal bc: average PMS with one big ol' cramp, followed by a five-day period. It was pretty darn light compared to all the horror stories, just minipads most days, two days of regular tampons every 12 hours or so.

Two weeks later, when ovulating, I had the most incredible libido. Seriously, I couldn't fall asleep one night because I was thinking about sex so much. I think I wore my man out that week ;-)

Second period came exactly 28 days after the first one, full moon again. Same as before, slightly heavier flow on day 3, but no cramps when PMSing.

I was going to wait three cycles before posting, but I'm excited to let everyone know that switching from the Mirena to the Paragard has been a breeze for me! I switched over because of dietary concerns--I think the hormones were aggravating my IBS. So far I haven't noticed any changes in my digestion, but at least hormones aren't part of my "what's wrong with me" equation anymore. And I'm baby-proof for ten years--awesome.

Good luck!
  • paragard
    paragard Posts: 1
    Options
    it's not a good idea to use paragard cause it cause weight gain and here's the proof http://www.paragardweightgain.com/
  • deannc1
    deannc1 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My youngest (and last) is 15 years old. I had the paraguard after her birth. Some cramping upon insertion but nothing horrible. It lasted 10 years but during that time I had looonnnng, very heavy periods. Cramping in my lower back and thighs were NOT fun. After the 10 years were up my gyne switched me to Mirena. I love it! No more periods or cramps. I am due to have it removed this June......not sure if menopause happened yet (I'm 52) but will see come June. If menopause hasn't happened (similarly my hubs is going through MAN ON PAUSE) I'll get a new Mirena..........
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    it's not a good idea to use paragard cause it cause weight gain and here's the proof http://www.paragardweightgain.com/

<--- has a Paraguard, didn't gain weight.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    the hormone IUD has the same hormones as the depo provera shot. I took depo - and it was the worst 9 months of my life. It impacted my relationship, my body...it was just horrible. When I went and got an IUD, my dr. recommended the hormonal one...of which right away I was like "absolutely NO!" especially when the copper one is hormone free, cheaper and equally as effective!

I got the copper IUD...and besides getting it put in...it has been the best decision I have ever made. I would have got it years ago, but I was told by another doctor that females that have not had babies can not get the IUD due to the uterus not being large enough. :) Luckily that has been debunked. If I ever have a daughter...I will be by-passing the whole "pill/patch/ring/shot" discussion and going straight for the IUD.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    I switched from oral contraceptive to the copper iud in Sept. due to clotting issues. I have yet to get my period yet.
    Anyone not get their period on the copper iud???

This...does not sound normal. Typically, ladies with a copper IUD will have some spotting to begin with...and then for the first 3 months - your period should be regular but heavier then it should go back to relatively normal. Unless, naturally, you have a "come and go" cycle...of which the hormones may regulate your cycle.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    And I just realized that the OP was from like 2 years ago...awesome.
  • catawbalovely
    catawbalovely Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No don't I had the copper paragaurd and at first it was great but then after 4 years it started giving me infections. When I went to go have it removed I found out a lot of women were getting the copper paragaurd removed because after 3-4 years it was giving other women the same problem.
  • mrsgoochy
    mrsgoochy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am starting to do some research ( on Mirena for a year and I am bloated and cannot seem to even budge 5lbs unless I do severe calorie restriction and do low carbs). Is there a way to test for Progestin intolerance? It seems to be the missing link. When I was on the now discontinued Vesture ( AND LOVING LIFE), I could maintain a good weight for me ( 165 @5'8) and felt good. It had 3mg of progestin. The mirena has 52 mg of levonorgestrel (LNG). Initially, LNG is released at a rate of approximately 20 mcg/day. (Levonorgestrel is a weakly androgenic progestin).
    Soooooooo...... Is there a test for progestin sensitivity/intolerance? I'm about to up and switch to the copper IUD and with my tilted uterus- It was a total *kitten* to get the mirena in :(

Thoughts? TIA ;)
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    mrsgoochy wrote: »
    I am starting to do some research ( on Mirena for a year and I am bloated and cannot seem to even budge 5lbs unless I do severe calorie restriction and do low carbs). Is there a way to test for Progestin intolerance? It seems to be the missing link. When I was on the now discontinued Vesture ( AND LOVING LIFE), I could maintain a good weight for me ( 165 @5'8) and felt good. It had 3mg of progestin. The mirena has 52 mg of levonorgestrel (LNG). Initially, LNG is released at a rate of approximately 20 mcg/day. (Levonorgestrel is a weakly androgenic progestin).
    Soooooooo...... Is there a test for progestin sensitivity/intolerance? I'm about to up and switch to the copper IUD and with my tilted uterus- It was a total *kitten* to get the mirena in :(

Thoughts? TIA ;)

I've got a copper IUD, had it for 9 years now and no problems. I love it. Have a tilted uterus as well, so get the PITA on insertion and removal, but....short term pain for long term gain. Making hubby get the snip when it's due to come out in a few months though, after 16 long years and 2 kids its his turn to handle the birth control!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    mrsgoochy wrote: »

Thoughts? TIA ;)

I've got a copper IUD, had it for 9 years now and no problems. I love it. Have a tilted uterus as well, so get the PITA on insertion and removal, but....short term pain for long term gain. Making hubby get the snip when it's due to come out in a few months though, after 16 long years and 2 kids its his turn to handle the birth control!

Yes, I've used many types of birth control over the years and by far my favorite is being with a man who has had a vasectomy.