Replies

• UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Lietchi wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    What is this body analysing test? You mention a paper form?
    From 1800 to 1580 in just a month, or from the beginning of your weight loss?

I'm wondering if it's even accurate (you mention a paper form?). The only BMR/RMR testing I know (from reading about it) is on a treadmill or stationary bike while hooked up to all sorts of machinery. Is that what you did?
    A lower BMR/RMR is normal when you lose weight (but it would be a large decrease for only a month).

Yes I had to stand on a machine and hold two bars and it’ll print out a paper where it analyzes everything. It’s accurate. I last measure 6 months ago where it showed 1790 cals before my weight loss. I measured again today after 6months and I’m certain it’s because of my OMAD diet. I didn’t know it’ll be this low?

No it's not accurate. Sometimes it's lucky.
    If you really want to get a RMR test then go to a lab but a machine that puts a low voltage charge through just half of your body to measure your electrical resistance isn't going to do that.

If you don't mind me saying you do keep looking for bad news!

Am I keep looking for bad news or am I just trying to learn what’s going on with my body and trying to figure this rocket science which is called weight loss? About the RMR I don’t know I’m only assuming because I’m sure not everyone went through that lab test you’re talking about and they figured out simply by checking their calories with SOMETHING.

MFP and many other sites and also that form from that gym use average statistics. Which work (more or less) for most people. Le people go a bit further and calculate their actual total calorie burn (not the same as RMR) based on a comparison between how much weight they should have lost according to these average statistics and how much they actually lost (presuming they know their calorie intake accurately).
    Personally, I don't know what my RMR is and I don't really need to know, I just know that I lose weight marginally faster than I would expect based on what MFP expects (and my total calorie burn according to my fitness watch) which means I can trust the calorie goal it gives me.

Well sadly I can’t trust the calorie it gives me cause i was stuck at one weight for 6 months until I tried OMAD. So guess even MFP is unreliable

You need a big piece of scratch paper to write useful points down on - I know some things were covered in other topics that you are not remembering that you seemed to get at the time.

Almost everything is an estimate (which means potentially unreliable if you think it should be like a sunrise each day) - or you need to be in a research study or pay some huge amount to have your daily burn actually measured. Or get on a news show where they pay the bill.

For instance - yes MFP is an estimate, and when used as designed (base eating goal plus exercise calories when done), you'll have a point you can adjust to reflect what has actually occurred.
    But you have to log things, make a note.

Your OMAD caused you to eat less calories than you were before. Simple as that.

If you think you are logging exactly the same amount of calories eaten just eating at once - than your logging has changed somewhere.
    Or your activity has changed in some way and you didn't note that change.

Ditto's to sijomial - really think about how you approached that piece of paper and the direction you took - it's very telling.
    And I'll still bet there is more info on that piece of paper you either missed or went right past.
    I noticed you didn't comment on request for rest of the figures on there.

• UmaMageswarymfp
    Options

I'm wondering if it's even accurate (you mention a paper form?). The only BMR/RMR testing I know (from reading about it) is on a treadmill or stationary bike while hooked up to all sorts of machinery. Is that what you did?
    A lower BMR/RMR is normal when you lose weight (but it would be a large decrease for only a month).

Yes I had to stand on a machine and hold two bars and it’ll print out a paper where it analyzes everything. It’s accurate. I last measure 6 months ago where it showed 1790 cals before my weight loss. I measured again today after 6months and I’m certain it’s because of my OMAD diet. I didn’t know it’ll be this low?

If you really want to get a RMR test then go to a lab but a machine that puts a low voltage charge through just half of your body to measure your electrical resistance isn't going to do that.

Am I keep looking for bad news or am I just trying to learn what’s going on with my body and trying to figure this rocket science which is called weight loss? About the RMR I don’t know I’m only assuming because I’m sure not everyone went through that lab test you’re talking about and they figured out simply by checking their calories with SOMETHING.

MFP and many other sites and also that form from that gym use average statistics. Which work (more or less) for most people. Le people go a bit further and calculate their actual total calorie burn (not the same as RMR) based on a comparison between how much weight they should have lost according to these average statistics and how much they actually lost (presuming they know their calorie intake accurately).
    Personally, I don't know what my RMR is and I don't really need to know, I just know that I lose weight marginally faster than I would expect based on what MFP expects (and my total calorie burn according to my fitness watch) which means I can trust the calorie goal it gives me.

Well sadly I can’t trust the calorie it gives me cause i was stuck at one weight for 6 months until I tried OMAD. So guess even MFP is unreliable

You need a big piece of scratch paper to write useful points down on - I know some things were covered in other topics that you are not remembering that you seemed to get at the time.

Almost everything is an estimate (which means potentially unreliable if you think it should be like a sunrise each day) - or you need to be in a research study or pay some huge amount to have your daily burn actually measured. Or get on a news show where they pay the bill.

For instance - yes MFP is an estimate, and when used as designed (base eating goal plus exercise calories when done), you'll have a point you can adjust to reflect what has actually occurred.

If you think you are logging exactly the same amount of calories eaten just eating at once - than your logging has changed somewhere.

Ditto's to sijomial - really think about how you approached that piece of paper and the direction you took - it's very telling.
    And I'll still bet there is more info on that piece of paper you either missed or went right past.

Ignore the scribbles it’s from my trainer
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options

Btw this whole paper has a lot of infos in it , specify what you wanna know and I’ll show
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    That's an InBody BIA - perhaps nicer than your home scales with BF% using BIA also.

http://inbody.com.hk/inbody770/

Here again is good example of estimates.
    It's measuring the impedance to an electrical current sent through your body - foot to foot, hand to hand, hand to foot same and opposite sides, ect.
    Do some subtraction and you have some specific figures.

From those figures using statistical averages (AC - Arm Circumference & AMC - Arm Muscle Circumference), and age, gender, height, maybe waist or neck circumference - some calculations are done to give the figures shown, and more your printout probably has.

BCM - Body Cell Mass for the figures you show may be the one run through a formula to give the BMR figure.

Here again - BMR - calories burned while sleeping. Perhaps RMR is given elsewhere, but this clearly says BMR.
    That is an estimated calculated figure.
    They did not measure it.

And of course you don't start the math for amount you eat with a calorie burn of you sleeping all day. Just to be clear.

At least the testing method shows good results for accuracy on the measurement and calculations of LBM.
    https://www.clinicalnutritionjournal.com/article/S0261-5614(11)00066-5/fulltext

What’s the difference though I mean if my BMR is 1500 ish , isn’t that considered bad when it shows normal range of something wayyy higher ?
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    From their info it likely means you are more BF% than average, or healthy, or whatever scale they are basing it on.

Your screenshot seemed to show some percentile ranges there at top, so perhaps based on population averages.
    Based on what's considered healthy would be better though, and that may be elsewhere on printout.

So less LBM% than average or healthy or whatever.

Again - they are NOT measuring your BMR.
    They are estimating it based on LBM.
    That is it.

My RMR measurement test showed a reading that was lower than a Bodpod BF% calculated estimate gave.
    Likely because I can really pack on the water weight in stored glycogen in my muscles - and water while a part of LBM also doesn't burn any calories.
    So bad calculation.

So you really have no idea if that is your BMR.
    Call it a potentially better calculated estimate than your Mifflin BMR based on gender, age, height, weight.
    From that BMR could come a slightly better calculated estimated daily burn based on guessed activity level.
    Compared to that guess based on Mifflin BMR.

But now you just introduced another big estimate - 4 levels of activity compared to the potential variable amount that actually occurs.

Guess what's better than that?
    Having 4 weeks of best you can accuracy on food logging, and best valid weigh-ins.
    Do the math and you have your own daily burn figure with whatever your workout schedule is - all included.
    No you cannot estimate your BMR backwards from that.
    But it doesn't matter, you only need to confirm rate of loss is reasonable, and adjust as needed.

Use what you got to compare BF% to healthy or desired range.
    Use it compare calculated estimated muscle mass between visits to see if lifting doing some good.
    But don't read too much in to it.

It's not rocket science, and don't attempt to make it such.
    It'll be much better on your stress levels.

Alright thank you sooo much 💜
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Those machines are very tricky, they do spit out the avarage data from all thousands of population. My answer was, imaging, body BMI =19.8, normal, Then body fat% =32% obece. When I do caliper measures over the body, I obtain 13.5% or max 14.5%. How in the world I can be obece?
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I also don't know my RMR. Who cares. But I cnow almost axactly how much calories a day keep my weight same, how much cal I loose weight and definetely, on haw many cal a day I will gain weight. Practice with calorie counting for week, or 2, you see the difference. Then create you own calorie schedule. That simple
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Based on the way you're logging your food intake and based on your losses your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is approximately 667 calories a day higher than the average amount of food you've been eating.

Until and unless you significantly change your life to the point where you are able to actually weigh the ingredients that go into the food you eat, and where you weight the actual amount that you eat the vast majority of the time, your calories in will remain relatively speaking very imprecise.

Given this lack of precision I would not worry very much about the exact numbers.

Before omad you used to eat out of the house a lot. Are you know finding yourself eating more home-cooked meals instead of eating street/hawker or market/restaurant food?

A bowl of curry made by two different people and filled to different levels can be a very different experience.

Smart substitutions and using items that tend to be filling such as the pumpkin you were talking about the other day are a smart way to go about doing things.

We have discussed before going too fast, eating too little, and then undoing everything with a couple of days of excess eating.

Even though you've got some weight available to lose patience is your friend. It takes many extra decades to try to go faster and fail when you give up when the results of your hard work are not visible as opposed to going slower and finding something that is sustainable to you, which you can see yourself doing for 5 or more years, and which therefore will be what you'll be doing for the next 5 years regardless of whether the results are visible at any one point of time.

Stop thinking weight loss and start thinking long-term weight maintenance. Discovering that long-term will also lead you to the weight loss today.

Alec , I can totally see myself doing OMAD as a long term thing so hopefully I’m on the right track
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Uma. In the past few weeks new science about OMAD has hit the news. I've watched some current vids, too.

One of the drawbacks. Nutritional deficiencies. Tightly restricted one hour eating can also contribute to more disordered eating patterns. The quality of the meal is key. In a one hour sitting you can eat whatever you like.

IF often confused with TRE and vice versa but a longer 8 hr eating window has health benefits. The reality is that for most people OMAD is not sustainable or a maintainable route to long term weight stability. Permanent weight stability.

As with any new food protocol there's always beginner's luck. I'm a leader on an IF group. It was crickets when I started there and it's gasping for air now. There are no shortcuts to long term weight stability. I changed the name to TRE but people have lost interest because fasting is fading away into the sunset.

Many years ago, there were over 7500 people on that thread but not one has come back to report any long term stability with their weight. It just didn't last or work or stick. I'm not sure what the next best thing is going to be but I can feel one coming in my bones. There's always another weight loss protocol coming around the corner.

Respectfully, now may be the time to change horses midstream. There are some mathematical geniuses here. Why not settle in by eating the foods you enjoy, weighing and measuring as you tool along. It's so simple it sounds too good to be true but it's not.

Every day, out of the clear blue sky comes another success story. Someone quietly doing all of the hard work without one single word whispered to the rest of us and out comes the photos. Blows the socks right off your feet.

Embrace all of the healthy out of this place. It's here. Right under our noses.

Omg here’s the thing , I’m terrified of changing my eating pattern now because I’m truly happy with OMAD. When I eat OMAD I get to have a heavy meal no matter if it’s high caloric food or low caloric food I still get to feel full with 1.3cals meal. In comparison to eating 3 meals a day where I have to divide accordingly simply didn’t work much for me because I love to overeat every meal. It’s been 1 month since I binged. Ever since I started doing OMAD when I feel like eating fast food , I can happily have it without worrying about going over my calories. I’m rarely hungry too. The one meal fills me up. That’s why ehen the scale showed My BMR is 1500 cals only I freaked out. That’s because I enjoy doing OMAD and it worries me how fast my bmr went to which worries me for the long run. What if my bmr hit 1000 calories. So it’ll be hard for me to maintain that
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The measuring device you're using could not and does not determine your actual BMR.
    The measuring device you're using has a fairly high percentage error.

That said, your actual BMR is only a little bit relevant in the big scheme of things.

You're reporting being relatively comfortable with the way you're eating now. This is good. It is the "holy grail". You WANT to be choosing a method that you feel you will be able to do forever.

Why? Because at some point of time the scale won't "reward" you. And that will be the day you should be able to shrug it off and say: "hey, what does it matter: I'm happy enough eating like this and I intend to keep doing it anyway, so I can wait a week and two and three and four to see results".

That said, OMAD (and keto as an example for people who have not been eating this way for years) concerns me as a long term plan for reasons similar to the ones stated by @Diatonic12 . I've seen a lot of people start and report success, only to disappear a bit later. Experimenting is good. Experimenting with yourself is the ONLY way forward. But you should be structuring the experiment in a way that ensures you will NOT give up.

There is only one true point of failure in weigh management. When IDGAF takes over, followed by waking up several years (and lbs) later.

So experiment all you want; but remember that all you need to control your weight is an overall caloric balance that heads in the right direction and the only way to get that is by keeping your head in the game!

Thank you so much for this but I think I’ll continue doing OMAD until I feel like I can’t sustain anymore then I’ll find a new way to eat under my TEE. I just hope OMAD won’t wreck my BMR and I reallly hope that 1500 reading is inaccurate
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    RMR is the amount of calories burned per day by someone in a coma. For everyone else, its only possible purpose is, if you are very sedentary, to multiply RMR by 1.2 to get a rough approximation of how many calories you burn per day. If one is more active, all bets are off as to what the multiplier should be - 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 - only way to know is to precisely measure incoming calories for 6 weeks and see what happens with your weight. To be clear on this important point, if you are not in a coma, then the *minimum* calories you will burn in a day is 1.2 * RMR.

I don't think the "rocket science" notion is helpful for dieting. Dieting is actually very simple, one of the dumbest, most basic things known to mankind: eat less than your maintenance calories and you will lose weight. With your stated RMR of 1580, assuming that is accurate, your maintenance calories are right around 1.2 * 1580 = 1900. Which sounds about right. 1300 calories consumed per day therefore means a 600 calorie per day deficit, which should yield a little over 1 lb per week lost.

The only way to "break a metabolism" is to die. You can't break your metabolism. It just doesn't happen, and can't. You don't need to worry about that. What will happen, to every person who loses weight is, for every pound you lose, you burn approximately 5.5 calories per day less. So, if you lose 10 pounds, you burn 55-ish calories per day less than when you started the diet. This adds up over time. I've lost 80 lbs and burn 440 calories less per day than when I started my diet. That is not breaking a metabolism and isn't rocket science, it's just "getting smaller". Ultimately a good thing, but a bit frustrating for people who start off obese and expect dieting to be as easy after 6 months as it was in the first month. It just doesn't pan out that way.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I don't question why others care so much. They're invested. Many of us have ridden that merry-go-round-all the horses' saddles are worn smooth from our hindends. Rebound weight gain with friends sux.

People come and they go, never to be heard from again. MFP is subtle. I knew that Helloooo. It's not in your face. No guilt, no shame. No food nitwittery. I honestly think being here has made all of the difference in the world to me.

I do want to be caught between completely overreaching and totally underachieving in the Moderation Zone. I like I can't fool myself realism. It's good medicine to tell on yourself when you start to go sideways. Stay humble, I've learned that showing off comes before a fall. Riding your bike with no hands and thinking you've got it made.