What's the deal with pasta?

Options
2»

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    When I have pasta it has to be with something really delicious like a combination of shrimp and lobster or crab. Then I don't really notice that 200 calories of pasta is less than I might choose. If I add three chopped shallots, sauteed, a dozen raw frozen shrimp and a teaspoon of lobster base I am still under 400 calories. Or, a cup of really good canned red sauce. I recommend this one (180 calories per cup)

https://stanislaus.com/ready-to-serve/al-dente-ultra-premium-pasta-sauce/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    maddduo wrote: »
    Ok. So, I know regular pasta is supposed to be a no go....but, I plugged in two of my pasta recipes and the serving size still fit into my counts, including trying to be around 1200 calories. So, is it ok to eat pasta if everything else aligns for the day? Thanks, Lynne

Why would pasta be a "no go"?

Really, the only thing with pasta is that it is fairly calorie dense for a small amount...but there are plenty of foods like that. Nothing wrong with pasta.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above, but first make sure you know your trigger foods. If I measure pasta and whatever goes on top of it and it's all within my limits, it will nevertheless have the effect of making me hungrier and more inclined to eat pretty much anything that comes my way at any time. This is basically true for me personally of everything that's "white" - refined flour and sugar products. Whole grain pasta is more filling for me, sticks longer, and doesn't seem to trigger that need-to-eat-everything response. So for me, that would be the problem - not the little bit of pasta I might eat and log for a meal, but the temptation thereafter.
  • ddavenport6962
    ddavenport6962 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have pasta now and then but i find about 35 g dry weight is plenty when bulked up with mushrooms, zuccini or any veg realy. A dietician got me to always have a salad on the side with it and that keeps me from having too much !!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i think im one of the rare ones who generally doesnt CARE for pasta.

i will make it occasionally, as my husband likes it, but im far more likely to sop of spaghetti sauce with a few pieces of garlic bread than eat the noodles i dish up LOLOL
  • maddduo
    maddduo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How do you get to 1200 calories? Is it 600 calories of olive oil + pasta?

1,200 calories is my goal for the day, not one huge pasta meal.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I am another who eats pasta several times each week, either at lunch time (generally 50-60 g with some veggies and maybe an egg or some tuna fish) or in the evening (70-80g with some form of meat). I keep an eye out for the pasta with additional egg which is higher protein. (It's worth looking at the nurtritional values on different makes, i have found; sometimes they are identical form one make to another, but sometimes they really aren't.)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I only have pasta once per week on average but I see it as the best carb choice since it is so versatile with either veges or seafood. My fish market sells what they call soup fish for $5.99/lb and it is not skin and fins and the like. It is entirely trimmings to square off steaks and fillets mostly trout and flounder but also sea bass and halibut and salmon. Incredible on pasta with or without red sauce.