Reducing the next day soreness

What do you do to reduce the soreness the next day after heavy lifting? Stretching? Yoga? What helps you?

Replies

• pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,298 Member
    I make sure I drink enough and eat enough before and after the workout. I warm up with 10-15 minutes on the elliptical before I lift & cool down on an exercise bike for 10-15 minutes after I lift. Remember cool down is low intensity. Then I throw in some moderate cardio the next day to get the blood pumping through the sore muscles...

Good luck.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    1. Go about the day normally.
    2. If it's ridiculous, I would perform whatever lift/movement or close to with much less load. So lets say you squatted with barbell, air squats would be appropriate.
    3. Understand that soreness is part of the game. If we are talking DOMS...then know it was only because the movement was novel and won't happen every time.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Stretch and walk. Take ibuprofen if needed. Movements with less load, just so you don't tighten up.
  • Chieflrg
    edited September 2020
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Stretch and walk. Take ibuprofen if needed. Movements with less load, just so you don't tighten up.

Personally I’d avoid the NSAIDs

Agreed. There are certain conditions such as autoimmune disease the pros>cons even that is debatable but they should be avoided.

If we use NSAIDS and resistance train, they literally can block the useful stress that drives progress.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Agreed. There are certain conditions such as autoimmune disease the pros>cons even that is debatable but they should be avoided.

If we use NSAIDS and resistance train, they literally can block the useful stress that drives progress.

Crap. I take ibuprofen all the time for headaches. What should I take instead, @chieflrg?
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited September 2020
    don’t like foam rolling eh

well to each their own helps me immensely
  • Chieflrg

Crap. I take ibuprofen all the time for headaches. What should I take instead, @chieflrg?

For short term Acetaminophen, such as Tylenol is often recommended, a reasonable alternative to NSAIDs.

If you have long term problems, I would discuss with your doctor.

NSAIDS such as Advil can causes ulcers and bleeding in the s to.ach or intestines. Not to fear monger, but I know of a person who died from complications of this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    What do you do to reduce the soreness the next day after heavy lifting? Stretching? Yoga? What helps you?

Mostly just moving...going for a walk or a ride. I assume you're fairly new to lifting or restarting...DOMs is temporary and should for the most part diminish substantially after a couple of weeks.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    edited September 2020

For short term Acetaminophen, such as Tylenol is often recommended, a reasonable alternative to NSAIDs.

NSAIDS such as Advil can causes ulcers and bleeding in the s to.ach or intestines. Not to fear monger, but I know of a person who died from complications of this.

Had a good customer who started with stomach ulcers from naproxen, the dr’s ended putting him on dialysis because it boxed his kidneys ffs
  • Chieflrg

Had a good customer who started with stomach ulcers from naproxen, the dr’s ended putting him on dialysis because it boxed his kidneys ffs

Woah no.

When my kidneys showed red flags of failure doctors stsrt3d blaming each other.

Radiation, chemo, RA, creatine usage. Doctors hopefully use current evidence and history, but sometimes egos get in the way.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020

Out of curiosity, do you know if Tart Cherry, CBD Oil or some of the other more natural pain relievers (PEA, for instance) have the same ability to block gains.

I know in the cardio world a few years ago, Vit E and Vit C combined, were all the rage because they found they protected your lungs from inflammation. But that same protection stunted gains in training, so triathletes (and marathoners) started taking them only after a race, but not during training.

You mentioned Ibuprofen as possibly stunting progress.

I also find a difference when I eat to recover within an hour and also take electrolyte supplements. D-Ribose is great for some as well. Ironically, better known in the Fibromyalgia world than the weight lifting world.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

Is lifting new for you? (DOMS from hell is pretty normal when starting a new activity, or resuming after a long absence). If that's the case, expect that it won't be like this after the first few sessions.

Dealing with that myself right now - 1st gym session in ~6 months was 2 days ago (I gave them 1-2 weeks to work the bugs out of their new procedures after re-opening before heading back)(New York State).
  • sakurablossoms82
    sakurablossoms82 Posts: 62 Member
    Doing a good warming up and cool down helps me a lot. Since I do those I have less soreness afterwards. When I just started working out I thought those where a waste of time most of the time.
  • Chieflrg
    edited September 2020

Out of curiosity, do you know if Tart Cherry, CBD Oil or some of the other more natural pain relievers (PEA, for instance) have the same ability to block gains.

I know in the cardio world a few years ago, Vit E and Vit C combined, were all the rage because they found they protected your lungs from inflammation. But that same protection stunted gains in training, so triathletes (and marathoners) started taking them only after a race, but not during training.

You mentioned Ibuprofen as possibly stunting progress.

I also find a difference when I eat to recover within an hour and also take electrolyte supplements. D-Ribose is great for some as well. Ironically, better known in the Fibromyalgia world than the weight lifting world.

I've read a while back some limited evidence suggesting that Tart Cherry can help with endurance athletes. I haven't searched or read any meta analysis on pain relieve.

CBD oil is absolute BS. The people pushing are only preying on people and trying to make a buck. They are harming the fitness community by making false claims and I can't stress enough how this is a scam.

NDAIDS absolutely block inflammation which is part of resistance training progress under appropriate conditions. Inflammation is not a bad thing, and useful.

I myself take and endorse the consumption of electrolytes during and after training.

I'm happy to hear you are training through Fibro. Resistance training is very useful and proven to combat chronic pain including that from Fibro.

***EDITED TO ADD META ANALYSIS
    I have heard years ago about possible anti-inflammatory reactions with Tart Cherry. Never read anything though it interests me personally. I will post this to remind me to review.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5872786/

Here is one on possible endurance benefits.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-meta-analysis-tart-cherry-juice-concentrate-found-to-help-improve-endurance-exercise-performance-among-participants-in-10-studies-301006693.html
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    i embrace my soreness - it means i had a serious workout that is going to help me build toward my goal. cool downs can help, but if you do enough intense lifting, is it a problem to have some soreness?
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Sodium, magnesium and water.