Anyone else overhydrate?

Does anyone else overhydrate? I think I drink too much water and my electrolytes plummet. I also eat pretty clean but try to salt everything! Urine Is just about clear but man I move a lot and just get thirsty!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Why not put some electrolytes in your water?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I can have that problem on long rides where I drop 8-10 lbs in sweat at end of ride, even while drinking 3-4 lbs on the ride.

If short 2 hr or less, a small can of V-8 post-ride hits the sodium & potassium, if longer I better start the electrolytes at 1 hr, or I'll get some really bad cramps.
    Either with the gels, or if doing water additive for calories it's in there too of course.

Still have to do magnesium later too.

Outside that I'm not overhydrated unless I remember to pre-drink for the ride, so only for a couple hours. I usually forget.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    I can have that problem on long rides where I drop 8-10 lbs in sweat at end of ride, even while drinking 3-4 lbs on the ride.

If short 2 hr or less, a small can of V-8 post-ride hits the sodium & potassium, if longer I better start the electrolytes at 1 hr, or I'll get some really bad cramps.
    Either with the gels, or if doing water additive for calories it's in there too of course.

Still have to do magnesium later too.

Outside that I'm not overhydrated unless I remember to pre-drink for the ride, so only for a couple hours. I usually forget.

I supplement magnesium and also try to salt all my food. I recently bought some electrolytes and will probs supplement with Powerade zero on training days
  • Caratach
    Caratach Posts: 46 Member
    It is possible you over-hydrate. Salting everything is not a good idea, I believe, as few things are worse for your heart. I got some free Vivoo samples which test your body's balance of stuff by urinating on strips and using an app, and it surprised me by telling me I was over-hydrating. I suppose it's possible to just drink too much. I seem to remember Runner's World running an article on the dangers of over-hydrating and exercise.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Are you having symptoms from this?