Nasal breathing while walking? Is this a thing?

2»

Replies

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    There is a persisting 'myth' about aerobic vs. anaerobic activity and what burns more fat. The fact is that you can't really target burning fat only - reliably. If you keep your heart rate lower, for example --- the body may be more likely to pull energy from fat, as opposed to muscle mass...but honestly I don't think there's sufficient scientific evidence to show that this is actually true. That's why it is still a 'debate'.

So, he clearly believes this and is telling you to make sure that your activity level isn't so intense that it causes you to have to breath through your mouth. Plenty of runners also subscribe to this ("If you can't have a conversation while you're working out, you're working out too hard")....but really it's all about overall calories burned. That's it. Your body will take energy from what's available which eventually will be fat and your will lose fat --- you will also lose muscle mass as well - that's why it's also important to incorporate some weighted exercises (even just body weight exercises) to maintain muscle mass or incorporate a lifting program once you reach a target weight to increase your muscle mass. It makes you healthier all around.

You can take it or leave it...but I don't necessarily think it makes him a 'quack' to say it --- so as long as you don't notice any other red flags and your workouts seem good...I don't think you need to drop him just yet, haha.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    There is a persisting 'myth' about aerobic vs. anaerobic activity and what burns more fat. The fact is that you can't really target burning fat only - reliably. If you keep your heart rate lower, for example --- the body may be more likely to pull energy from fat, as opposed to muscle mass...but honestly I don't think there's sufficient scientific evidence to show that this is actually true. That's why it is still a 'debate'.

There's no debate on that (especially not anaerobic, need to look up the meaning and what it allows) - the lower the level of intensity the bigger % fat is burned.
    The higher the intensity up to anaerobic - the more it starts involving glycogen as bigger and bigger %.

Overall amount of fat grams or calories do not follow that % though, and really no debate on that either.
    Plenty of muscle core samples plus VO2 tests to prove that out - even on personal level now.

There is continuing confusion though by those that don't know, stating it incorrectly and keeping the myth of fat-burning zone alive.

Oh - the energy source isn't a choice between fat and muscle mass.
    Perhaps you meant carbs there.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I am a believer that nasal breathing is better for you then mouth breathing. That said, better fat loss? Not so much, and if it did have an effect, probably minimally at best...

Me too. The nose is designed to filter allergens and warm the air to the appropriate temperature, when you bipass it with your mouth it dries the mouth and sucks in all the pollens.

That said I don't think it is that big of a deal.